msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

26 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Being a published author should be an automatic yes. 

Anyone can publish a book! I have, and so has my neighbour, and one of my best mates. None of us are notable.

• Thanks 1

Depends on the book, the author and the publisher!

Anyhow, this is no longer my problem.;)

Surely it just depends on the book's reception, its pick up and circulation, and subsequent media coverage/recognition?

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Surely it just depends on the book's reception, its pick up and circulation, and subsequent media coverage/recognition?

That'd KO many academic books! But we are in basic agreement here.

• Like 1

On 19/11/2021 at 14:22, gcreptile said:

My example of how difficult the "published" author criterion is: Katie Smith, author of one book:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7528281/Childrens-author-terminal-cancer-feared-won-writing-competition-brain-tumour.html

Seriously, there are places in this country you can throw a stick down the high street and near enough guarantee hitting a published author. 20 years ago it would have been a ranking dead pool critieria, not now. I don't think I'd allow it in the Deathrace and I fuckin' love barrel scrapings by way of any local newspaper obit.

Alright, as the year draws to a close, I'm starting to tidy up the database here and there. So here are the missing LOTL and LOTM names that are not yet written down on the site:

Obviously a work in progress. I think it will be much less than in the previous year, because we've been keeping some good eyes on it.

List of the Lost:

- Ernst Fasan

- Aino Kaarik

- Jessie Lichauco

- Pave Maijanen

- Luis de Pablo

- Lars-Göran Petrov

- Morris Perry (sorry msc, it's got to happen)

- Sarah Lilian Priest

- Uta Ranke-Heinemann

- Ken Mahood

- Richard Repp

- Sumiko Sakamoto

- Alfonso Sastre

- Belinda Sykes (?)

- Vance Trimble

- Ralph Watson

List of the Missed:

On 01/12/2020 at 22:41, Dying Probably said:

Got bored, said fuck it.

The occasional vast regrets catch up to me.

18 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Alright, as the year draws to a close, I'm starting to tidy up the database here and there. So here are the missing LOTL and LOTM names that are not yet written down on the site:

Obviously a work in progress. I think it will be much less than in the previous year, because we've been keeping some good eyes on it.

List of the Lost:

- Ruth Apilado

- Franco Battiato

- Gunilla Bergström

- Yan Yanakiev

List of the Missed:

I see Bob Fass still hasn’t been noted as LOTL

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I see Bob Fass still hasn’t been noted as LOTL

He's been added. Others will in time. Despite Wordpress crashing repeatedly, the LOTM is updated (who knew there was a Blue Peter theme team once?), the LOTL has more names on it, and we're up to date on the front page stuff like obits. (The theme team league update can wait though.)

Last time we were all up to date on DDP obits, the Reaper started up like he was suffering a Gooseberry Crumble enema...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Also why is it called FFBI only when it was a family of the famous case that was the final straw for @msc and arguably covers more picks as the family of the famous are more reliable Obit chances in many cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Also why

Are you back again after saying you were leaving for good, again?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, En Passant said:

Are you back again after saying you were leaving for good, again?

Never said I was leaving for good.

I notice that George "Johnny" Johnson is still shown as 'Date and place of birth unknown'; being 100 years old today makes the DoB 25-11-1921. His place of birth is staed as being Hameringham, Lincolnshire (Source: The Last British Dambuster, by George "Johnny" Johnson, Ebury Press, 2014).

• Like 2

On 20/11/2021 at 22:06, gcreptile said:

List of the Lost:

- Ernst Fasan

- Aino Kaarik

- Jessie Lichauco

- Pave Maijanen

- Luis de Pablo

- Lars-Göran Petrov

- Morris Perry (sorry msc, it's got to happen)

- Sarah Lilian Priest

- Uta Ranke-Heinemann

- Ken Mahood

- Richard Repp

- Sumiko Sakamoto

- Alfonso Sastre

- Belinda Sykes (?)

- Vance Trimble

- Ralph Watson

List of the Missed:

Alright, it seems these people are still missing from the List of the Lost - as of today - the year isn't over.

I am doubting very much that I will manage to go through the whole database to check for the List of the Missed. I did it last year, and msc had a good look at it just a bit ago. We should be okay here.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Alright, it seems these people are still missing from the List of the Lost - as of today - the year isn't over.

I am doubting very much that I will manage to go through the whole database to check for the List of the Missed. I did it last year, and msc had a good look at it just a bit ago. We should be okay here.

I had a good look over the notable deaths and if someone missed a 900 year old Uzbekistani poet, well, frankly, feck 'em.

:D

• Haha 3

This current storm had to be expected I guess, after the fairly quiet two weeks.

In addition to Elder, Gulpilil and WIlliams, other people still waiting for obits are Andrew Romanoff, Wilf Oldham and Mustafa Cengiz, just in the past two days.

We need 35 more hits to break the record. It's going to be very close.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

This current storm had to be expected I guess, after the fairly quiet two weeks.

In addition to Elder, Gulpilil and WIlliams, other people still waiting for obits are Andrew Romanoff, Wilf Oldham and Mustafa Cengiz, just in the past two days.

It is remarkable we have got that close as this as felt quieter than last year for deaths. 

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Im rooting for this. I've absolutely  got my butt clenched for this until New Years eve!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I, for one, wouldn't mind the rest of the year passing quietly

• Haha 2

Just a minor point of interest (major for me :D).

The death of Doug Cowie on 27th November meant that my team of K2 mountaineers drop off the summit of the theme league to be replaced by Sudden Death.

As K2 is the second highest mountain in the world it would seem an appropriate achievement.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Just a minor point of interest (major for me :D).

The death of Doug Cowie on 27th November meant that my team of K2 mountaineers drop off the summit of the theme league to be replaced by Sudden Death.

As K2 is the second highest mountain in the world it would seem an appropriate achievement.

Weirdly apt that you gave the other theme teams a hell of a summit to climb!