msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

Andrew Romanoff got a Daily Mail obit. So we now need 31 hits in 31 days.... off we go.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Andrew Romanoff got a Daily Mail obit. So we now need 31 hits in 31 days.... off we go.

That’s just about doable. Would be helpful if one or two more late obits came in as last year we got 27 in December. 

• Like 1

Ray Kennedy must be a hit for a few people given that he had Parkinson's for over 30 years

Yes please. My Arse-in-hole teams third hit in 2 days. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pedro67 said:

Yes please. My Arse-in-hole teams third hit in 2 days. 

Hello Pedro, hope you've been keeping well!

1 minute ago, msc said:

Hello Pedro, hope you've been keeping well!

Indeedy. Still in remission so thankfully better than my team picks

• Like 9

On 29/11/2021 at 15:37, gcreptile said:

This current storm had to be expected I guess, after the fairly quiet two weeks.

In addition to Elder, Gulpilil and WIlliams, other people still waiting for obits are Andrew Romanoff, Wilf Oldham and Mustafa Cengiz, just in the past two days.

We need 35 more hits to break the record. It's going to be very close.

Dunno if we still needed one for Gulpilil?

But anyway... Telegraph obituary (very good read btw).

*Emperor Akihito is marked as "died in 2012" in his DDP 2010 page

*Stefan Karl Stefansson is listed as having died at age 34 in his DDP 2018 page

*Let's say Deathray had inside information about Ronnie Pickering having a terminal illness. If DailyMail were to publish an obituary, would that be a loophole in the FFBI fame criterion? Or is marginally famous for being viral enough to be allowed even if his disease was known?

*Is it a theme team if almost all people have something in common, but not everyone? Gris Gris has Alberto Fujimori in it, and unless I'm missing something, nothing in his name gets repeated? Could I add Peter Dinklage in a theme team of 19 extremely tall celebrities?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Predictor said:

*Emperor Akihito is marked as "died in 2012" in his DDP 2010 page

*Stefan Karl Stefansson is listed as having died at age 34 in his DDP 2018 page

*Let's say Deathray had inside information about Ronnie Pickering having a terminal illness. If DailyMail were to publish an obituary, would that be a loophole in the FFBI fame criterion? Or is marginally famous for being viral enough to be allowed even if his disease was known?

*Is it a theme team if almost all people have something in common, but not everyone? Gris Gris has Alberto Fujimori in it, and unless I'm missing something, nothing in his name gets repeated? Could I add Peter Dinklage in a theme team of 19 extremely tall celebrities?

The DDP 2010 page was generated 3 DDP hosts ago, so you'll have to put that down to a quirk of the old days. He's been on the list nearly every year since, and isn't dead on the master file.

The Lazy Town chap is clearly a typo as he's marked in his obit as dying aged 43. The points are the same anyhow. And too late to change.

Pickering I don't think ever came up. I thought he was a snooker player tbh, he was already in the system. If he pulled a fast one, well, that'll depend on the new Cmme as to if he qualifies for 2022. @Death Impends @gcreptile  (And if Reptile goes "msc, you  said X, Y and Z on this last year", well, I forget!)

I admit I can't see the repeat in Fujimori (though it may be accent based - for example Albert-oo Fujim-oo-ro) but in general, a theme team is a theme team. The basic rule this year was try not to take the piss, which some folk had been doing with their "men only theme teams" (basic the Drop 40 cancer sufferers), and so on.

There was a chance for FFBI teams to slip through the system, basically if they were already part of the database and didn't get another check. It happened maybe 2-3 times, but it was never important enough to have the effort to correct that. For example, there is a person picked this year called Gabrielle D'Allonches, the cancer-having mum, of the cancer-having partner of "Catlady" Jocelyn Wildenstein. She has no fame, but will also never obit. These FFBI cases are, well, naturally slowly disappearing out of the system. And the more time passes, the less likely they are to get obits anyway.

I think we actually contemplated whether Ronnie Pickering was a legit pick, at least, I remember, I personally thought about it, and begrudgingly accepted him.

He was a meme before he had cancer, so, for better or worse, known for that. On the other hand, we just had the case of Stacey Pentland, who was actually described in some obits as a "Tik Tok star". But that happened only because of the cancer. You'd never heard of her name without it.

We will never revisit the pages of old years, I can't imagine anybody doing it. Database/website-wise it is MUCH more trouble than it's worth it.

• Like 1

I think we did quite well with the FFBI ban, and it'll get better as folk get more experienced with it and spot Trojan Horses.

Not Trojan Hearses though, they're cool. That team name cracks me up.

The Wiki page for Fujimori used to have his name as "Alberto Fujimori Fujimori". It doesn't any more so he probably doesn't actually have a reduplicated name, but it was a clear good faith inclusion and not something daft like putting Tom Parker on a centenarian theme team or something.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

The Wiki page for Fujimori used to have his name as "Alberto Fujimori Fujimori". It doesn't any more so he probably doesn't actually have a reduplicated name, but it was a clear good faith inclusion and not something daft like putting Tom Parker on a centenarian theme team or something.

His other surname is Inomoto which i wonder if that is why it’s was picked. The to is repeated. 

Also remember that when it was revealed Pola Illery died in the 90s years after getting a sucker Telegraph obit and DDP points in 2012? Which I must've mentioned half a dozen times but I love that story. Hah. Anyways TMIB let the points stay rather than reopen the 2012 files several years later which should tell you how not worth it it is to creak open the old databases!

I think the key thing was to move towards giving the game its integrity back. Which seems a laughable thing to say about a Dead Pool but you all know what I mean.

we did our best to spot the already existing FFBI picks as well as eliminating the new ones but yes a couple got through the net. There are a lot of names in the database and I think we did a pretty good job of cleansing it and also giving the Theme Team league it’s integrity back too.

(I know I’m biased).

On querying the individual picks in a theme team well I just think that’s a step too far provided the general theme is followed - Fujimori was a ‘joke’ inclusion because his name appeared twice on his wiki page - kudos to Sir Creep for his humour rather than criticism of the pick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Predictor said:

Could I add Peter Dinklage in a theme team of 19 extremely tall celebrities?

To pick up this point if your Theme was extremely tall people then yes I think Peter Dinklage would perfectly belong in that team as the joke 20th name.

The Theme Team competition is a joyous celebration of the humour of Dead Poolers as well as a competition running alongside the main game.

23 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

To pick up this point if your Theme was extremely tall people then yes I think Peter Dinklage would perfectly belong in that team as the joke 20th name.

The Theme Team competition is a joyous celebration of the humour of Dead Poolers as well as a competition running alongside the main game.

I mean, I know I'm about to piss off and leave all this stress to others (;)) but I felt the theme team fixes were to stop ringer teams coming in and ruining it. Like those Shameless sides or fake theme teams. Theme teams with gags in them (there was a Hague war criminal theme team once with Cliff Richard iirc) weren't going to be party pooped on. Gris Gris, Hits of 36 Years Ago, All Quiet on the Westerns Front, and many others I wont bore you all by naming all have proper theme team ideas and tend to work around that set structure.

30 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I respectfully disagree - if the theme is extremely tall people, then all members of the team should be extremely tall (maybe if Dinklage is extremely tall for someone with dwarfism, I'd let that pass), otherwise could my extremely tall theme team have 18 extremely tall people and Dinklage and Warwick Davis as two joke names? Where's the line drawn?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Also remember that when it was revealed Pola Illery died in the 90s years after getting a sucker Telegraph obit and DDP points in 2012? Which I must've mentioned half a dozen times but I love that story. Hah. Anyways TMIB let the points stay rather than reopen the 2012 files several years later which should tell you how not worth it it is to creak open the old databases!

That whole episode with the Telegraph reminds me of a story I heard about the reason the New York Times adopted the policy of always including a sentence in their obits mentioning how they've confirmed the death, like from a family member or a spokesperson: apparently, some years ago, they got caught up running a premature obit after only hearing reports from the death from another news outlet -- the Telegraph.

I have no great love for either newspaper in most respects, but I do think it's a sensible policy.

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Even a nerd for facts and peoples like me sees a name at times and goes "Who?" (Yeah, I know, a disgraced sports admin guy, I looked him up.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

Even a nerd for facts and peoples like me sees a name at times and goes "Who?" (Yeah, I know, a disgraced sports admin guy, I looked him up.)

The Guardian gave him a push notification for those who have the sports breaking news feature turned on. I was surprised when I searched it that he wasn’t picked this year as his poor health has been reported for a while and he was 88. 

@msc 

@Spade_Cooley

@whoever

These blurbs don’t write themselves.  Which of you cuntos threw this sentence together after a few cocktails? 

50D35AAE-F609-4AB1-84B2-2A7FDDC1024F.jpeg

• Like 1