Sign in to follow this  
Lafaucheuse

Zeitgeist 2020

This is this time of the year again when you start looking back to what you've achieved this year and what you went through. For some years now, I have this tradition of writing a "zeitgeist" of my year. But what is a Zeitgeist ? It's a German term which means "spirit of the time" and is used especially by Google to refer to its "Year in a search" movie which recaps the year in a 3 min video since 2010. In this tradition, I have done the same thing since a few years now, summarizing my own personal success of the year, my favorite events, historical events which marked the year, historical deaths etc… 

I propose to you this thread so that everyone is able to look back at 2020 and express his opinion of the year. 

So : what were the personal and historical events that marked your year ? what have you done so far through the year ? What did you go through ? Who were the deaths that shocked you the most ? 

And another question : who, according to you, are the personalities who will go in the "In Memoriam" section of Google's Year In Search 2020 ? In my opinion, I think this will be RBG, Maradona, Connery, Kobe and Kirk Douglas. 

edit : hope my English isn't too bad, correct me if I made any mistake, it would help me to improve  :old:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

This is this time of the year again when you start looking back to what you've achieved this year and what you went through. For some years now, I have this tradition of writing a "zeitgeist" of my year. But what is a Zeitgeist ? It's a German term which means "spirit of the time" and is used especially by Google to refer to its "Year in a search" movie which recaps the year in a 3 min video since 2010. In this tradition, I have done the same thing since a few years now, summarizing my own personal success of the year, my favorite events, historical events which marked the year, historical deaths etc… 

I propose to you this thread so that everyone is able to look back at 2020 and express his opinion of the year. 

So : what were the personal and historical events that marked your year ? what have you done so far through the year ? What did you go through ? Who were the deaths that shocked you the most ? 

And another question : who, according to you, are the personalities who will go in the "In Memoriam" section of Google's Year In Search 2020 ? In my opinion, I think this will be RBG, Maradona, Connery, Kobe and Kirk Douglas. 

edit : hope my English isn't too bad, correct me if I made any mistake, it would help me to improve  :old:

2020: covid, covid everywhere, more covid, not seeing family, worst work year ever due to covid, government helping everyone else then sending out emails and texts about their financial support that wasn't available to gig economy folk on a weekly basis, covid, UK government being a shower of feckless cunts at every opportunity, covid. Also coronavirus. Old pal dying of covid within 2 days of getting it, aged 40, by far biggest shock of year. On a celeb note, Shad Gaspard. Poor sod.

Don't know the Google thing but my annual video is focusing on Diana Rigg and Ian Holm too.

• Like 4

Shit.

That didn't take 3 minutes so with the spare 2 mins and 59 seconds I could do a song and dance routine if you like?

PS your English is fine Lafaucheuse. C'est en fait beaucoup mieux que mon français

• Like 2

Your English is great Lafaucheuse, better than that of quite a few English people! :D 

Year in a picture:

93E8A620-DD6F-4D72-82B0-C7B7790EF5EE.jpeg.351a2d8565627cae8a836d9bf325097c.jpeg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Your English is great Lafaucheuse, better than that of quite a few English people! :D 

Year in a picture:

93E8A620-DD6F-4D72-82B0-C7B7790EF5EE.jpeg.351a2d8565627cae8a836d9bf325097c.jpeg

I couldn't of put it better myself.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, time said:

I couldn't of put it better myself.

See what you did there :lol:

• Thanks 1

Hopefully Limmy's right. If any of you ever have the opportunity to experience time travel, I wouldn't recommend being 18 in 2020. I don't say that in a selfish way, as in "boo hoo, I can't go out on the sesh and do lines off a Spoon's table 600 other people have touched". Not my scene. It's been a miserable and lonely old existence, as it has for a lot of people. No distractions or let-up.

The enema's real, and all of the deaths mentioned have been headliners. At the risk of starting yet another fame debate, there are several more who died surprisingly young.

At this point 2021 can't stack up in terms of endless shite. Unless I fall into a sewer on 1st January.