Sign in to follow this  
I.R.Baboon

Leo Beenhakker

With all those survivors from early lists dying this year I really think it's time for a Leo Beenhakker thread, the sole survivor of the 1991 list. Been willing to start one for many years (in fact, every time I read a snippet of news on him) but never really took the time, but I will for sure regret it if he passes away without thread. 

He's the former football trainer of (among many many other clubs) Real Madrid, Ajax and Feyenoord and of the Netherlands, Trinidad and Tobago and Poland national team.

I have no clue why he was on the 1991 list (i hope anyone else can shine a light on that) but but he's an avid cigar smoker, has had skin cancer in 2015 and he looks pretty pale nowadays. Plus he's 78 years old.

He announced his retirement from the football world in 2015 but most likely he still is some kind of off-the-radar technical advisor at Sparta Rotterdam.

Last news i can find is a radio interview in april this year, with Beenhakker complaining about sitting at home and feeling his life was over without being able to meet people and watching football.

• Like 2

I never got the logic of why he would have been put on the 1991 list

13 minutes ago, Leon Brittan said:

There is no logic to the choosing of the List by the Committee.

Basically they meet up in the local pub for a piss up, get outrageously drunk and write a bunch of random names on a piece of paper then play "eenie meenie miney mo".

True story.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Basically they meet up in the local pub for a piss up, get outrageously drunk and write a bunch of random names on a piece of paper then play "eenie meenie miney mo".

True story.

A Dutch football manager seems a very obscure choice though even for a group of pissed up lads 

7 minutes ago, Leon Brittan said:

A Dutch football manager seems a very obscure choice though even for a group of pissed up lads 

Perhaps he had a health scare at the time?

Hee Broke Ankle. Could be the reason he was picked. Or it could just be an anagram of his name. 

40 minutes ago, Leon Brittan said:

Well the Committee would have obviously seen him five months earlier when he was flopping as Dutch national team coach. Maybe they thought he looked peaky during the England/Netherlands draw?

Which one of you Baboons is hiding behind the ‘I R Baboon’ alt moniker?

7 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

True story.

Partially true, but I wouldn’t want to go against urban myth.

As for Leo, I can’t remember why we picked him, but as that list scored 0/40 I’m guessing that evening was probably a well oiled one.

• Haha 4

Leo Beenhakker made the headlines last week when it was announced he would be lijstduwer for the 50+ party (aimed at senior citizens) for the local Rotterdam elections in march, but stepped back a day later, because he didn't want any media attention.

• Like 2

His playing career ended abruptly as he was experiencing heart issues during his final matches.

Turned 80 yesterday. I expected an interview or at least some other sign of life, but all we got were compilations of old interviews. Not sure if that means he's ill, but i'll keep a close watch..

• Like 3

With the new year approaching i decided it was a good opportunity to look for any clues about Beenhakkers current health.. but no news at all.. no new pictures, no new interviews, not even a response when Feyenoord won the Eredivisie. So we need an insider...

• Like 1