Octopus of Odstock

The grand Old Duke of Kent

1 minute ago, Sean said:

The Dukes Granddaughter Lady Amelia Windsor is the most beautiful of the family in my opinion.

A very beautiful young lady indeed who is a total natural  gift made for the camera and indeed catwalk which  I believe she has graced. 

• Like 1

This is from 2018. Looks rough then but I'm sure he's thinner now. Masks are a pain in the bum for comparison. 

Read somewhere that now Prince P is gone, DoK is oldest male UK royal still alive. 

image.png.bd0364b74a5406ea553f1e65d7b56118.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

A very beautiful young lady indeed who is a total natural  gift made for the camera and indeed catwalk which  I believe she has graced. 

Agreed.

46FB185A00000578-0-image-a-6_15124906670

ETA

amelia-windsor-at-british-fashion-awards

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

15 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

On the one hand, he appears able to stand and walk independently which is more than he was able to do a couple of years ago.

On the other hand, he looks like a skeleton. 

The Duke of Kent accompanied the Queen to the Trooping of the Colour today.

Not easy to see his face with that bearskin on but there are clearly mobility issues, not  uncommon in your average 85 year old. Granted it couldve been the combined weight of the uniform that we’re making things difficult. 

Interestingly the cameras knew to cut away when both he and the Queen attempted the couple of steps up to the platform...

He's at Wimbledon today in the Royal Box. As is Sir Jackie Stewart. 

• Like 1

Merely making way I'd say. He is 85 after all. QEII stepped down from her  role at AELTC at a similar age

2 hours ago, prussianblue said:

Stepping down as president of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. He's been in the post since 1969. Making way for new blood, or getting his affairs in order? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57784464

That last picture though. 

_119334024_pa-60698862.jpg

2 hours ago, prussianblue said:

Stepping down as president of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. He's been in the post since 1969. Making way for new blood, or getting his affairs in order? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57784464

Interesting it doesn't mention a replacement. Surely it's going to be Kate? Only a matter of time. 

• Like 1

I am watching Wimbledon right now where they are presenting medals. He can hardly walk from the looks of it. He's been presented with a replica trophy of the men's singles trophy.

Edit - And yes Kate is going to replace him.

The BBC showed a brief interview with the Duke during the build-up to the men's final due to him standing down. I've been hoping the Beeb would upload it to their tennis page, but so far no luck. It's available on iPlayer around the 30-minute mark in the coverage. He spoke ok, and significantly he did say that while it's his last tournament as President he does intend to be back at Wimbledon as a spectator in the years to come. Whether that's more hope than expectation, I don't know.

Oh, and they confirmed before the interview that Kate is indeed taking over as President of the All England Club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

The BBC showed a brief interview with the Duke during the build-up to the men's final due to him standing down. I've been hoping the Beeb would upload it to their tennis page, but so far no luck. It's available on iPlayer around the 30-minute mark in the coverage. He spoke ok, and significantly he did say that while it's his last tournament as President he does intend to be back at Wimbledon as a spectator in the years to come. Whether that's more hope than expectation, I don't know.

Oh, and they confirmed before the interview that Kate is indeed taking over as President of the All England Club.

Was his wife  with him at Wimbledon today?

4 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Was his wife  with him at Wimbledon today?

I don't believe so. Not that I saw anyway.

• Thanks 1

His movement at the trophy presentation wasn't good. He is also pretty skeletal. I would guess he has around 18 months to two years if I was a betting man. 

24 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Was his wife with him at Wimbledon today?

She only goes there as a private individual.   She took great offence at their attitude towards her, and rightly so.  Massive own goal by the All England Club.

Despite her popularity with tennis fans and her love of the sport, her relationship with Wimbledon and its Chairman went sour. In 1999, the Duchess wanted to take the 12-year-old son of a murdered headmaster to Wimbledon as a treat. Philip Lawrence was a headmaster who was stabbed to death outside the gates of his school in London when he went to the aid of a pupil who was being attacked by a gang.

Katherine reportedly received a “curt letter” from the club chairman, John Curry, who told her only royal children could enter the Royal Box, and so the 12-year-old boy would not be allowed to sit with the Duchess. This infuriated Katherine so much that she said she would boycott the tournament altogether. The Chairman apologised, however, he still would not let children into the Royal Box unless they were royal children.

Since this incident, the Duchess has rarely attended Wimbledon, but friends insist she has not “boycotted” the tournament.

One friend said: “it’s simply not her style. She goes there every year, often sitting with friends in the cheap seats where no one notices her.”

https://royalcentral.co.uk/features/the-duchess-of-kent-and-wimbledon-a-complicated-relationship-2-163025/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Toast said:

She only goes there as a private individual.   She took great offence at their attitude towards her, and rightly so.  Massive own goal by the All England Club.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/features/the-duchess-of-kent-and-wimbledon-a-complicated-relationship-2-163025/

Ah yes I remember that now you mention it. She had such a good association with Wimbledon for so many years so it is  a real shame things turned sour so needlessly.  The pettiness of officialdom. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Interview with the Duke of Kent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In other news I noticed that the Duchess of Cambridge physically presented the trophies yesterday even though it is traditionally the Duke's role.

Did the Duke physically present the trophy or was it only done in his presence?

Another thing to consider about the lack of appearances of the Duchess of Kent.

The couple 'celebrated' their Diamond Anniversary in June this year, but it wasn't marked at all showing that they are almost entirely separated despite sharing a residence. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Windsor said:

In other news I noticed that the Duchess of Cambridge physically presented the trophies yesterday even though it is traditionally the Duke's role.

Did the Duke physically present the trophy or was it only done in his presence?

Handed over the trophies. Rubbish video of it here: 

10 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Handed over the trophies. Rubbish video of it here: 

At well - there goes my theory that the trophies were too heavy for him. :D

He appears more steady on his feet than he did at the Trooping of the Colour at Windsor last month. Perhaps it was the heavy uniform.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10354063/The-Duke-Kent-publish-memoir-just-Princes-bombshell-book.html

This is an interesting and to my mind unexpected  development. 

The Duke of Kent, a very close confidante of his cousin the Queen , is set to release  his memoirs in May next year.

Certainly a sign that in part he is looking towards his legacy and getting  his perspective, thoughts and feelings on public record while  he still can.

Might be of some relevance to those picking names for deadpools.

• Like 2