Octopus of Odstock

The grand Old Duke of Kent

2 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10354063/The-Duke-Kent-publish-memoir-just-Princes-bombshell-book.html

This is an interesting and to my mind unexpected  development. 

The Duke of Kent, a very close confidante of his cousin the Queen , is set to release  his memoirs in May next year.

Certainly a sign that in part he is looking towards his legacy and getting  his perspective, thoughts and feelings on public record while  he still can.

Might be of some relevance to those picking names for deadpools.

He is off my list this year, a good indication that his days are numbered...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2004 death-list hit Princess Alice released her memoirs as well so it’s not unheard of. 

2 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

At Buckingham Palace yesterday for the changing of the Guard. Seems ok relatively speaking.

Well, he can certainly stand (no stick or aid in sight) on a winter's day without too much trouble, but he looks so awfully, awfully gaunt. That can't be a good thing at his age. 

• Like 1

Just appeared on the balcony at Buckingham Palace and he looks rough. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Just appeared on the balcony at Buckingham Palace and he looks rough. 

You just beat me to it! Great to see him on the balcony and as a long serving working royal enjoy the celebrations but he does look very much on the frail side.

• Like 4

Just posted the pic in the QEII thread. He looks real rough. As I said there I'd put money on him going before her

• Like 4

Worth noting that he was trending on Twitter last night from the number of people going "man, he looks frail". So it was just folk on here who thought he looked ill (and he did). You could sense a hundred DDP teams scribbling his name in for next year.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, msc said:

Worth noting that he was trending on Twitter last night from the number of people going "man, he looks frail". So it was just folk on here who thought he looked ill (and he did). You could sense a hundred DDP teams scribbling his name in for next year.

To further add to your point  he has arguably some significance or possible implications beyond  himself as a pick because  he is very close to the Queen,  some say the cousin she is closest to. If he dies it could certainly impact  her .

• Like 2

Platinum Jubilee 2022 events holiday bank holiday when is jubilee weekend platinum jubilee bank holiday what events are planned uk flypast commemorative coin pudding winner

Crikey he looks dreadful.

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

Platinum Jubilee 2022 events holiday bank holiday when is jubilee weekend platinum jubilee bank holiday what events are planned uk flypast commemorative coin pudding winner

Crikey he looks dreadful.

It's his last hurrah!

19 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

To further add to your point  he has arguably some significance or possible implications beyond  himself as a pick because  he is very close to the Queen,  some say the cousin she is closest to. If he dies it could certainly impact  her .

It would greatly sadden her but she is very used to loss. As well as her husband sister and daughter in law plus has already lost around 15 cousins . I think Margaret Rhodes was her closest cousin and she passed a few years ago.Duke of Kent certainly the closest currently and on her father`s daide.

Plus given how he looks I doubt his dearth would come as a shock to his family.

• Like 1

• Haha 3

The Duke of Kent was at the Falklands Memorial Chapel today. 

Several photos

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Toast said:

The Duke of Kent was at the Falklands Memorial Chapel today. 

Several photos

Doesn’t look good but could last a year or two more imo, I think he’s safe for 2022

At Silverstone today. Actually looks better when he is a bit more casually dressed. If he's getting out and about as much as he is, he might be alright for a few more years 

Form spotting for retired racing drivers too...

received_1048578712763349.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

At Silverstone today. Actually looks better when he is a bit more casually dressed. If he's getting out and about as much as he is, he might be alright for a few more years 

Form spotting for retired racing drivers too...

received_1048578712763349.jpeg

Either he is looking like Mr Burns or Mr Burns is looking like him.

6.jpg

• Like 10

Next spotting will most likely be Wimbledon finals on 9th and 10th July I think as he usually presents the trophy. Though Kate may now have taken over?

13 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Next spotting will most likely be Wimbledon finals on 9th and 10th July I think as he usually presents the trophy. Though Kate may now have taken over?

He retired from that last year. 

I think the poor old bugger was pressured to drop his patronage after many decades because the Duchess of Cambridge wanted it. She had been muscling in for some time…

12 minutes ago, Windsor said:

I think the poor old bugger was pressured to drop his patronage after many decades because the Duchess of Cambridge wanted it. She had been muscling in for some time…

Must have been a big wrench retiring from watching tennis and saying "well done".

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Do you think?  He could still have carried on presenting the men's trophy with Catherine presenting the women's, which is how it was for years with the Duchess of Kent.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Redrumours said:

Must have been a big wrench retiring from watching tennis and saying "well done".

Gets him on the tele though, eh?

Prime time. News etc.

Worth noting that as of Thursday, the Duke of Kent had held his title for an incredible 80 years. There are only two other living peers who can claim the same: Viscount Gormanston (b. 1939) and Lord Sudeley (b. 1939).

All three lost their fathers in WWII, hence their early succession to their titles.

• Like 7

Since a royal spot has now become vacant on the DL, this spot could very well be occupied by the Duke of Kent next year ;)

• Like 4

On 02/06/2022 at 12:32, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Just posted the pic in the QEII thread. He looks real rough. As I said there I'd put money on him going before her

Well that was a spot on prediction from me........:rolleyes:

• Haha 2