Octopus of Odstock

The grand Old Duke of Kent

10 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I still believe that the Duke of Kent will be the next Royal death, but his efforts to walk unaided up the Abbey, no matter how much he struggled, means I think he might well see 2024. If he hadn't walked at all, then I think he would be a cert for 2023.

His younger cousin, the Duke of Gloucester looks in fine fettle, considering how far a near 80 year old walked.

Although I remember my wife's ancient uncle insisting on walking up to her gran (his sisters) funeral "for respect", and he died about 3 months later. Never rule out determination and a stubborn will.

I suspect both the Duke and Duchess are near the top of the list for 2023 list newcomers.

• Like 1

Just reading about the funeral procession in 1952 and the Duke of Kent, then just a teenager, walked behind the coffin with Prince Philip, Prince Henry and the Duke of Windsor. 

Surely this makes him the only person directly involved in both funerals?

image.png.6dc9787681b55f39194807718dac28d9.png

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Just reading about the funeral procession in 1952 and the Duke of Kent, then just a teenager, walked behind the coffin with Prince Philip, Prince Henry and the Duke of Windsor. 

Look's a bit dodgy here.:D

4 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I still believe that the Duke of Kent will be the next Royal death, but his efforts to walk unaided up the Abbey, no matter how much he struggled, means I think he might well see 2024. If he hadn't walked at all, then I think he would be a cert for 2023.

His younger cousin, the Duke of Gloucester looks in fine fettle, considering how far a near 80 year old walked.

Not sure how much longer Prince and Princess Michael of Kent have - both have aged a lot recently and don’t look great. Could be a few of them going in relatively quick succession. The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester will likely be the final two left.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Not sure how much longer Prince and Princess Michael of Kent have - both have aged a lot recently and don’t look great. Could be a few of them going in relatively quick succession. The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester will likely be the final two left.

I wonder if the committee  would go for a royal double or quartet next year? The Duke and Duchess of Kent and Prince and Princess Michael of Kent?

I do agree their deaths are likely to be relatively clustered together  but will it be next year?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I wonder if the committee  would go for a royal double or quartet next year? The Duke and Duchess of Kent and Prince and Princess Michael of Kent?

I do agree their deaths are likely to be relatively clustered together  but will it be next year?

I doubt more than one of will make the list. 

7 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Which one do you reckon is most likely to make the list?

Duchess of Kent has to be favourite. The rest made the funeral at least.

• Like 2

Could see either of the Duke and Duchess of Kent appear next year - regardless of health.

Another possibility is after the first of the pair passes away, the surviving one will be selected the year after. Anyway, the Duchess will be 90 next February and the Duke 88 at the end of next year - even loads of healthy elderly people can decline very sudden at that age, certainly after the death of their longtime spouse.

As for Prince and Princess Michael of Kent, I could only see them added to the list once the older Kents have passed away or it becomes known they have an acute ilness.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I wonder if she went to the final private service.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I am not so sure. She has been reclusive but that does not mean she is as ill as all that it may have been a decision not to attend whereas the Duke we all clearly saw how frail he was.

Either would be good but The Duke I think just has the edge

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Toast said:

I wonder if she went to the final private service.

Impossible to say really, it crossed my mind too, but I'm not convinced.

6 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am not so sure. She has been reclusive but that does not mean she is as ill as all that it may have been a decision not to attend whereas the Duke we all clearly saw how frail he was.

Either would be good but The Duke I think just has the edge

I understand where you're coming from, but I just don't see how she would reach a decision to not attend the biggest royal event since the coronation. It's not like it required a huge amount of talking, she could have slunk in with Princess Alexandra, and I'd say it's more noteworthy she was a no-show than it would have been if a recluse makes a rare appearance for the death if the Monarch. I'm not going all Crem on this but I'd be surprised if it wasn't I'll health keeping her away. Of course, that doesn't guarantee she's a death's door, and I accept her husband is quite doddery these days. I know they spent a fair amount of public time together, how close were the Queen and Duke privately? Could her death hasten his demise?

5 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Impossible to say really, it crossed my mind too, but I'm not convinced.

I understand where you're coming from, but I just don't see how she would reach a decision to not attend the biggest royal event since the coronation. It's not like it required a huge amount of talking, she could have slunk in with Princess Alexandra, and I'd say it's more noteworthy she was a no-show than it would have been if a recluse makes a rare appearance for the death if the Monarch. I'm not going all Crem on this but I'd be surprised if it wasn't I'll health keeping her away. Of course, that doesn't guarantee she's a death's door, and I accept her husband is quite doddery these days. I know they spent a fair amount of public time together, how close were the Queen and Duke privately? Could her death hasten his demise?

I think the Queen and the Duke were pretty close. 

It’s hard to imagine her choosing to skip it just for no reason rather than health or disability. She attended William and Harry’s weddings post retirement from public duties and was willing to give an interview only this year so doesn’t want total privacy.

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

I know they spent a fair amount of public time together, how close were the Queen and Duke privately? Could her death hasten his demise?

Interesting point. I think this is something generally which led to the Queen’s death. Many of her closest friends (and of course her husband) went on and on for years and years. Over the last 5 years or so the old team started dying off until there were less and less. Being old really is a cunt.

Reminds me of my Granda and his drinking buddies. He survived most of them and spent his last couple of years just kicking about the house waiting for the inevitable. 

Anyway, I think the Queen and the Duke of Kent must have been relatively close as she chose for him to accompany her at he birthday parade at Windsor. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Interesting point. I think this is something generally which led to the Queen’s death. Many of her closest friends (and of course her husband) went on and on for years and years. Over the last 5 years or so the old team started dying off until there were less and less. Being old really is a cunt.

Reminds me of my Granda and his drinking buddies. He survived most of them and spent his last couple of years just kicking about the house waiting for the inevitable. 

Anyway, I think the Queen and the Duke of Kent must have been relatively close as she chose for him to accompany her at he birthday parade at Windsor. 

And the Queen was an active person with lots of younger Friends and a large family as well. For many elderly who have never had such a big circle it’s even worse when the circle shrinks. 

I do wonder how full time retirement will affect him and the Gloucesters who Charles is expected to dismiss from being working royals. 

2 hours ago, Windsor said:

Exactly what led me to ask the question, one must assume they're close. Or were close. One to keep an eye on. Does he still attend Remembrance Sunday at the cenotaph these days or has he stopped? That's probably the next time he'd appear...

• Like 1

On 04/06/2022 at 16:16, Redrumours said:

It's his last hurrah!

Just now, Redrumours said:

Looks like I  got it wrong now!

On 19/09/2022 at 14:59, Octopus of Odstock said:

I'm pretty sure the queen was involved in both in some capacity.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Arsewipe said:

I'm pretty sure the queen was involved in both in some capacity.

Well, yes, she was the centre of attention at her own funeral!

7 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Well, yes, she was the centre of attention at her own funeral!

Yes, I'm just being a pedantic arsehole.

Edward is the oldest surviving descendant of George V. The first 62 of the current line of succession are all descendants of George V

The next person in line 63rd is David, Duke of Fife (b.1961) who is descended from George V's sister Louise. Harald V (b.1937) is descended from his only other sister to have issue Maud, who married Prince Carl of Denmark who eventually became King Haakon VII of Norway in 1905. 

The only people who are older than Charles in that first group of 62 are 

Edward, Duke of Kent (b.1935) 40th in line

Princess Alexandria (b. 1936) 56th in line

Prince Michael of Kent (b.1942) 51st in line

Richard, Duke of Gloucester (b.1944) 30th in line

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Edward is the oldest surviving descendant of George V. The first 62 of the current line of succession are all descendants of George V

The next person in line 63rd is David, Duke of Fife (b.1961) who is descended from George V's sister Louise. Harald V (b.1937) is descended from his only other sister to have issue Maud, who married Prince Carl of Denmark who eventually became King Haakon VII of Norway in 1905. 

The only people who are older than Charles in that first group of 62 are 

Edward, Duke of Kent (b.1935) 40th in line

Princess Alexandria (b. 1936) 56th in line

Prince Michael of Kent (b.1942) 51st in line

Richard, Duke of Gloucester (b.1944) 30th in line

Which also means the Duke of Kent is the only remaining descendant of George V who was alive while he was. George V died January 1936, Princess Alexandra was born December 1936. Meaning the Duke is also the only remaining descendant alive from the reign of Edward VIII.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 19/09/2022 at 14:59, Octopus of Odstock said:

Phil's out of step!

10 hours ago, Kenny said:

Phil's out of step!

Was he ever?