Octopus of Odstock

The grand Old Duke of Kent

He's trending on Twitter but only because it's his birthday.

• Like 3

Spotted in the background at the coronation rehearsals. The duke does look fairly well here then

Screenshot_2023-05-05-14-56-36-88_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

31 minutes ago, Philip said:

Spotted in the background at the coronation rehearsals. The duke does look fairly well here then

He is standing up I will grant you that but he doesn't look like he is going to run a marathon or compete on Strictly

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Well enough to be doing soemthing like this anyway. Perhaps not for the list just yet

You don't have to exactly be in the picture of good health to do this!

• Like 3

The Queen was still on her feet and working a day or two before her death.  Just saying.

631b1c6f0a329a0011e399bb?width=700

• Like 2

At the Coronation as is his sister and Brother and sister in law. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

At the Coronation as is his sister and Brother and sister in law. 

But not his wife the Duchess of Kent. 

10 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

But not his wife the Duchess of Kent. 

There was a woman in green on the balcony. You can barely see her but it looks like the Duchess of Kent 

On 05/05/2023 at 13:59, Philip said:

Thats an extremely old photograph.

45 minutes ago, Philip said:

There was a woman in green on the balcony. You can barely see her but it looks like the Duchess of Kent 

Possibly. She isn't a "working" Royal now so that might be why she's hanging back.  I don't think I saw the Duke in the Abbey. 

The coverage of the congregation was piss-poor, they kept showing us the choir ad nauseam instead of the people we would be interested in.

230506100406-59-coronation-unf.jpg?c=ori

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I've looked but can't find. Do you have a link please?

14 minutes ago, Toast said:

Possibly. She isn't a "working" Royal now so that might be why she's hanging back.  I don't think I saw the Duke in the Abbey. 

The coverage of the congregation was piss-poor, they kept showing us the choir ad nauseam instead of the people we would be interested in.

230506100406-59-coronation-unf.jpg?c=ori

I saw the duke siting in the Abbey.

• Like 2

There's plenty of photos of the Duke in the Abbey, he was only second row back so quite prominent. Seems no worse. If anything, he was able to take more of a role in this one than the Queen's Funeral, but he still looks ghastly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

There's plenty of photos of the Duke in the Abbey, he was only second row back so quite prominent.

Ah, photos, yes. I didn't mean to suggest that he wasn't there, I meant I didn't see him during the broadcast.  They were very stingy with shots of the congregation as I said.

ETA Seen a photo now - he was next to Princess Anne.  Never saw him on screen at all and I did wonder where he was. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Philip said:

I have screenshot and zoomed in on @Toast photo and I'm not sure that the lady is the Duchess of Kent  on the balcony   Also she is not formally listed as attending. 

If it is her and I lean towards no, then she has aged quite strangely.  I'm not sure.

This seems to be the lady some say is the Duchess of Kent in green . A clearer  pic I just  found on twitter and now I'm going to say it's definitely not her. She seemed to be helping the unsteady looking  Princess Alexandra. 

• Like 1

sorry, need to go back to Specsavers

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I have screenshot and zoomed in on @Toast photo and I'm not sure that the lady is the Duchess of Kent  on the balcony   Also she is not formally listed as attending. 

If it is her and I lean towards no, then she has aged quite strangely.  I'm not sure.

This seems to be the lady some say is the Duchess of Kent in green . A clearer  pic I just  found on twitter and now I'm going to say it's definitely not her. She seemed to be helping the unsteady looking  Princess Alexandra. 

Such a happy event!

• Like 1

Who is the lady next to Edward? It seems Edward and Sophie are making sure she's not about to collapse.

58 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Who is the lady next to Edward? It seems Edward and Sophie are making sure she's not about to collapse.

Princess Alexandra. She seems to have aged very suddenly.  I know she's 86, but not too long ago she was doing engagements and looked as beautiful and elegant as ever.

Less than 2 years ago

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Dukey presented Kingy with a trophy for his horsey winning at Royal Ascot. Much fawning and forelock-tugging all around.

Huzzah!

Trophies are nice. This one left a bit to be desired though...

5 minutes ago, Comped said:

Trophies are nice. This one left a bit to be desired though...

I think The Duke of Kent is the living embodiment of A TROPHY

• Haha 1

Think this is the place for all the Kent clan? So I'll put it here rather than the Royal Family thread.

Spent yesterday sat on Centre Court at Wimbledon and Prince Michael of Kent was in attendance along with, I believe, his daughter. Looked very frail. Walked with a stick, was very slow climbing and descending the steps and used the hand rail as well as his stick for support. Should've taken a photo, didn't. Tried to find a photo, haven't. Which maybe tells its own story...

• Like 4