The Old Crem

Celebrity vaccination.

4 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Only the most reputable news comes from an account called "Someone Ask the Q".

That's right apparatchik, don't believe your lying eyes. That's capitalist propaganda!

25 minutes ago, Cian said:

Johnny Giles

Rupert Murdoch

This is just going to be a list of 80+ year olds though

No shit Sherlock.

Tell the OP that!

• Like 1

So with all this good news it seems ridiculous that we are talking about a third National lockdown in January 

32 minutes ago, Steve said:

So with all this good news it seems ridiculous that we are talking about a third National lockdown in January 

That will be a consequence of the stupid decision to allow people to do as they please over Christmas.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Sean said:

Any bruising?

If responding to me - I couldn't see any bruising on my arm after I had it.

2 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

If responding to me - I couldn't see any bruising on my arm after I had it.

The same applies to heroin if you are careful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steve said:

The "good news" is good news, but it doesn't necessarily outweigh the "bad news" or the dangers. According to the government, 137,000 people were vaccinated in the first week. These were mostly given to over-80s, care home staff and NHS workers only. Based on a population of around 66.65 million people, that represents 0.2% of the population as having so far been vaccinated. And they've all only been done once, they won't be fully vaccinated for another 3 weeks.

Covid cases in the UK stand at just under 2 million in total, which represents less than 3% of the population. Let's generously say 5% of the population have either had the disease (some won't have been counted) or have (started to be) vaccinated against the disease, that still leaves the vast majority of people vulnerable to a greater or lesser extent.

Vaccines will be great, providing they're effective over a significant period of time and are being rolled out quickly enough. At a rate of 137,000 a week, it would take 8 years to vaccinate the entire population. Even a million a week would take over a year. And, again, everyone needs to be done twice, so timeframes are potentially doubled. Not an easy process at all but we're getting there. Though as @Toast says, dependent on Christmas...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

The "good news" is good news, but it doesn't necessarily outweigh the "bad news" or the dangers. According to the government, 137,000 people were vaccinated in the first week. These were mostly given to over-80s, care home staff and NHS workers only. Based on a population of around 66.65 million people, that represents 0.2% of the population as having so far been vaccinated. And they've all only been done once, they won't be fully vaccinated for another 3 weeks.

Covid cases in the UK stand at just under 2 million in total, which represents less than 3% of the population. Let's generously say 5% of the population have either had the disease (some won't have been counted) or have (started to be) vaccinated against the disease, that still leaves the vast majority of people vulnerable to a greater or lesser extent.

Vaccines will be great, providing they're effective over a significant period of time and are being rolled out quickly enough. At a rate of 137,000 a week, it would take 8 years to vaccinate the entire population. Even a million a week would take over a year. And, again, everyone needs to be done twice, so timeframes are potentially doubled. Not an easy process at all but we're getting there. Though as @Toast says, dependent on Christmas...

492 weeks later, at the current rate, we will all be vaccinated. Good fucking luck. Let us not fantasize. The aussies have now got a USA strain etc etc. We are working too slow. 

2 hours ago, Toast said:

That will be a consequence of the stupid decision to allow people to do as they please over Christmas.

I wonder what actual effect that will have? I'm sure it's bound to have some, but maybe, hopefully, not as much as we fear..

Those who've been breaking the rules all along would probably have done so anyway

Those who isolate regardless of the rules taking responsibility for their own safety aren't suddenly going to all meet up because they are allowed to, they'll know its still unsafe

That leaves...

The people who's behaviour this will change because they believe the government knows what it's doing. Wonder how many that is?

According to the Telegraph, the latest trial results for the Oxford vaccine are coming on Monday, and it's expected to be approved around 28 December.

It can be all systems go then, as it will be much quicker and easier to administer, and they are ready to manufacture as much as is needed on home ground.

• Like 2

I know a GP and he had 12 no shows for the vaccine in the first week. Ended up phoning around to try to get people in for the jab as the vaccine was about to be binned. He ended up vaccinating his missus as he couldn't find enough replacements in time.

People who don't pre-advise that they won't be attending should be hung , drawn and quartered in my humble opinion. If they don't want it that's their perogative, but I bloody want it and will be pissed off if quantities of vaccine go to waste.

I looked at a calculator for the Pfizer vaccine yesterday and at 54 years old I am due to get it in mid-June. Hopefully the Oxford version will accelerate this.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Exu said:

I looked at a calculator for the Pfizer vaccine yesterday

Where did you find that calculator?

I have been looking for one.

34 minutes ago, Exu said:

I know a GP and he had 12 no shows for the vaccine in the first week. Ended up phoning around to try to get people in for the jab as the vaccine was about to be binned. He ended up vaccinating his missus as he couldn't find enough replacements in time.

People who don't pre-advise that they won't be attending should be hung , drawn and quartered in my humble opinion. If they don't want it that's their perogative, but I bloody want it and will be pissed off if quantities of vaccine go to waste.

I looked at a calculator for the Pfizer vaccine yesterday and at 54 years old I am due to get it in mid-June. Hopefully the Oxford version will accelerate this.

The Government plans to have everyone vaccinated by the end of Easter I believe.

Understand your frustration on missed vaccinations. Heard a GP talking bout this on LBC the other day. He said it happens all the time with vaccinations but in most cases people just genuinely forget, get held up in traffic/delayed in some other way, fall ill, emergency comes up. It’s to be expected. Little you can do bout that sadly. The NHS will eventually fob you off if you do it repeatedly.

13 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The Government plans to have everyone vaccinated by the end of Easter I believe.

Understand your frustration on missed vaccinations. Heard a GP talking bout this on LBC the other day. He said it happens all the time with vaccinations but in most cases people just genuinely forget, get held up in traffic/delayed in some other way, fall ill, emergency comes up. It’s to be expected. Little you can do bout that sadly. The NHS will eventually fob you off if you do it repeatedly.

In these days of mobile phones and text reminders there should be no excuse for missing a GP or vaccination appointment without letting them know that you are not going to make it.

I am old and dottled with no text reminders and yet I have never missed an appointment.

It'll be quicker than that.  That calculator's going to be out of date as soon as the Oxford vaccine gets going.

Word is it'll be approved around 28 December and vaccinations will start early in the New Year.  

Talk of using stadiums, racecourses etc to get as many people done as  quickly as possible.  It was in the Telegraph today.

It will be simpler and quicker than the Pfizer jab and they'll be able to run it at speed like the flu clinics.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

June for MrLB2 and September for me.  Probably be dead by then. 

Between the13/05/2021 and  the 04/06/2021 for me.

So long as my mum is ok and my son in law stays safe, I do not give a fuck when I get it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Toast said:

That calculator's going to be out of date as soon as the Oxford vaccine gets going.

I've just noticed that you can change the numbers on that calculator.   So it's adaptable.

So if you adjust it to, say, 2 million a week you'll get a very different result.

The Pfizer jab is by all accounts quite fiddly to administer, so they've been going quite slowly at this stage, but that will also pick up once they're more practised.

12 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Between the13/05/2021 and  the 04/06/2021 for me.

So long as my mum is ok and my son in law stays safe, I do not give a fuck when I get it.

Yeah, that's the crux of the matter, as it were. (And we can all catch up like mad in a few months...)

That calculator suggests March here but I suspect as Toast notes there'll be widespread mobilisation in the new year. (And as we must have mentioned at some point, thats exactly what they did with the TB crisis in the 1950s.)

• Like 1

March/April for me even with my age and diabetes taken into it.

Of course, living in Scotland means that the figures will be screwed due to us supposedly not getting a fair share of the distribution.

Here's the Telegraph report for anyone interested.  (links are paywalled, sorry)

The Oxford vaccine is expected to be approved within days of Christmas, kickstarting a massive drive to give jabs to millions of people in January, The Telegraph can reveal.

Senior Whitehall sources believe the Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency (MHRA) will authorise the vaccines on December 28 or 29 after final data is provided to the regulator on Monday.

Football stadia and other sites across the country will then be opened from the first week of January, to allow mass vaccinations on a scale never seen before in the UK. 

However, the progress comes amid growing fears that England is about to enter a third lockdown, with the Prime Minister recently refusing to rule out following Wales and Northern Ireland in such a course of action. 

Last week the NHS began the first Covid-19 vaccination programme in the world, with jabs given to around 140,000 elderly people and health and care workers in the first seven days.

This week the rollout has expanded far more widely, with around 400 GP centres now involved, as well as 83 hospitals.

Over the weekend, the total number of Britons who have received the jab is expected to pass the 500,000 mark, The Telegraph understands. 

By next week, more than 200,000 people a day should be receiving jabs, equating to well over one million doses a week by Christmas.

Once the Oxford jab gets the green light, the opening of mass vaccination centres will mean this can be increased to several million doses a week, Whitehall sources say.

It means Britain is on course to vaccinate the 20 million most vulnerable people by March, allowing far greater release of restrictions, with the prospect the whole country could be vaccinated by summer. 

However, the progress comes amid increasing infections, and pressure on hospitals.  

On Friday, Boris Johnson was asked whether England would follow Northern Ireland, which is introducing a six-week lockdown from Boxing Day.

He said: "We're hoping very much that we will be able to avoid anything like that. But the reality is that the rates of infection have increased very much in the last few weeks."

Britain has ordered 100 million doses of the vaccines, four million of which are immediately available, allowing a major expansion in the NHS vaccine programme across the country.

Unlike the Pfizer jab, the Oxford vaccine can be stored in regular refrigerators, meaning it can be administered far more easily, from thousands of sites across the UK.

Authorisation by the MHRA will also give confidence to countries across the world. India has already manufactured more than 50 million of the AstraZeneca vaccines. 

The NHS has drawn up plans for “large scale” vaccination sites, in football stadiums, racecourses and conference centres to start administering jabs from the first week of January. The programme will also be expanded to high-street pharmacies, while the number of GP sites involved in the programme will continue to expand. 

The rapid rollout of the programme has seen some teething problems this week, with some GPs complaining that deliveries have been cancelled with little notice, while others say they have been offered more jabs than they can keep up with.

However, health officials hope that the authorisation of the Oxford jab will prove a “game-changer”, allowing vaccines to be transported and administered far more easily.

Although the first batch of four million doses will be delivered from the Netherlands and Germany, the bulk of manufacturing will take place in this country, allowing for easy access.

AstraZeneca has said a further 15 million doses of active ingredients are ready, and can be filled into vials in a matter of days.

The full order of 100 million doses, in addition to 40 million doses of the Pfizer jabs being imported from Belgium, is enough to vaccinate the whole country. The speed of rollout means the majority of those aged 80 and over are likely to receive the Pfizer vaccine, which was authorised first. 

Both types of vaccine require two doses, with a three-week gap between them for the Pfizer one, and a four-week gap for the AstraZeneca vaccine.

The AstraZeneca vaccine has taken longer for regulators to assess, because of differences in the efficacy rates found in different groups, ranging from 62 to 90 per cent. However, a study released this week suggests that leaving an adequate gap between doses is the most crucial way to boost efficacy. 

• Like 1