TQR

Brian Blessed

Very surprised that the search bar returned threads for Brians Kidd, May, Harvey, Cox, Wilson, Cant, Rix, Sewell, Clough, Haw, Lenihan and Peppers, but not BRIAN BLESSED!!!

Despite recently suggesting that he’ll live to 120 or 130, it’s time this legendary 84-year-old booming leviathan had his own thread/appreciation society. I’ll be doing my best IainLodger impression when he dies.

• Like 3

Good idea to make this thread.

Such a good idea I pinched him when I fucked up my shadow list

I really thought there was a thread for him. FFS, dementia must be creeping up on me. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

I really thought there was a thread for him. FFS, dementia must be creeping up on me. 

A thread on who?

29 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

A thread on who?

BRIAN BLESSED!

Somebody was going to. TQR's description is halfway there, but it really demands a bit more ooomph!!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I always thought it was a really bad miss not to cast Brian Blessed as Treebeard in the LOTR films.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I always thought it was a really bad miss not to cast Brian Blessed as Treebeard in the LOTR films.

The one thing they saved money on by just giving Gimli some extra voice work. :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

The one thing they saved money on by just giving Gimli some extra voice work. :facepalm:

Gimli son of Gloin?

WhaT?? There was no BLESSED thread??

462bb5385dd6ffe7486bf22a45e96c72.gif

Whats with the massive mask he's wearing ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RIP Wee Jum said:

Whats with the massive mask he's wearing ?

It's doctored.

Here's the original.

• Like 1

So which zanny buttfucker will be quickest to change the comment under his name to BRIANS DEEEAADDD when he goes?

10 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

It's doctored.

Here's the original.

Shame, I thought it was befitting of the great man to wear a mask the size of a riot shield.

Brian Blessed is a great man. A friend of mine is a huge fan, and BB recorded personal birthday wishes for him a few years ago. Not a name I want to see pop up on "The Dead of..." any time soon! 

• Like 2

On 24/12/2020 at 13:35, Toast said:

I wanted him to play Slughorn in the Harry Potter movies. From the first time I read Half-Blood Prince I always pictured him in that role.

He might be a "great man" (two posts above) but it's a risky business getting him  to pay tribute to a recently departed colleague. By way of praising Anthony Sher on Radio 4 just now Blessed informed the nation twice that "Actors bore the arse off me" and spent a fair chunk of his "tribute" either demonstrating his own skills in impersonating Sher or discussing their mutual regard (i.e. how much Sher rated him).

Seriously, when he finally goes will there be a coffin big enough to accomodate his self-regard? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

He might be a "great man" (two posts above) but it's a risky business getting him  to pay tribute to a recently departed colleague. By way of praising Anthony Sher on Radio 4 just now Blessed informed the nation twice that "Actors bore the arse off me" and spent a fair chunk of his "tribute" either demonstrating his own skills in impersonating Sher or discussing their mutual regard (i.e. how much Sher rated him).

Seriously, when he finally goes will there be a coffin big enough to accomodate his self-regard? :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the Channel 4 or 5 tribute to Judi Dench about 15 years ago. Lots of serious actors talking about her bravery and gravitas as an actor. Cut to Brian Blessed. "Judi is the sexiest woman I've ever met and she still drives me WILD WITH LUST!"

Apparently he can be a bully to staff when he thinks no one is looking (according to friends) which has put me off him a bit tbh.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Reminds me of the Channel 4 or 5 tribute to Judi Dench about 15 years ago. Lots of serious actors talking about her bravery and gravitas as an actor. Cut to Brian Blessed. "Judi is the sexiest woman I've ever met and she still drives me WILD WITH LUST!"

Apparently he can be a bully to staff when he thinks no one is looking (according to friends) which has put me off him a bit tbh.

Can't be bothered investigating when and where I shared this story hereabouts but...

Many years ago now I was sat in a hotel in an area just outside the restaurant, just come out of the gym and trying to chill with a book and a drink. Blessed was in the restaurant, a long way inside because the bar area was between him and me as were some other tables, and his was still the clearest voice I could hear. 

It did make me wonder what it'd be like living next door to him if he was having sex!:facepalm:

10 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Brian Aldiss used to be like that. The Today programme must have had him on speed dial because whenever an SF writer died he would pop up and say they were good but not as good as me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Brian Aldiss used to be like that. The Today programme must have had him on speed dial because whenever an SF writer died he would pop up and say they were good but not as good as me.

He was also a well known cunt.

1 hour ago, msc said:

He was also a well known cunt.

Not a fan.

I have only read two of his books and I regretted persevering with both of them. A couple of times I have picked up Helliconia Spring and failed to get beyond the first 30 pages

For those who like to do field work, Brian Blessed has a regular stage show "An Evening with Brian Blessed".

It first came to my attention when this event was held in November 2021 in Cambridge:

https://www.cambridgeartstheatre.com/whats-on/evening-brian-blessed

There is also a website that tracks his engagements, however it only shows the current year (2022):

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/brian-blessed-1

To date, he only has one show in Bristol this June listed.  From memory, he had ~10 events in 2021. 

19 hours ago, Evil Grimace said:

For those who like to do field work, Brian Blessed has a regular stage show "An Evening with Brian Blessed".

It first came to my attention when this event was held in November 2021 in Cambridge:

https://www.cambridgeartstheatre.com/whats-on/evening-brian-blessed

There is also a website that tracks his engagements, however it only shows the current year (2022):

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/brian-blessed-1

To date, he only has one show in Bristol this June listed.  From memory, he had ~10 events in 2021. 

He's just added another show, in the bright lights of Bridport on 18 May! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deathrace said:

He's just added another show, in the bright lights of Bridport on 18 May! 

Nice, pleasant late spring evening - if you roll up to the centre of Beaminster about five miles away you can likely sit out with a pint and still hear him clearly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1