Death Impends

Hartlepool Deadlypool 2021

37 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Kathy Shaidle, sub here for drol, joins Ezra Nawi as those awaiting QO. Almost certainly goes through CBC, or maybe one of the US sources, if a QO does happen.

So, I picked Shaidle for Deathrace purposes, fairly sure something like The Sunday Visitor (Christian publication she wrote for) will come through. Dropped her for HPDP because I wasn't sure she'd smash the requisite q/o standards hereabouts. If I had picked her she'd have been top of the HPDP shop. We're all about to find out what she's worth obit wise! Provisional points given on Deathrace.

• Like 1

No word if Michael Apted's last words were "Nick Hitchon survives", but yes, Hitchon looks to be dead. Another unique for An Fear Beag currently awaiting an obit.

2 hours ago, Death Impends said:

No word if Michael Apted's last words were "Nick Hitchon survives", but yes, Hitchon looks to be dead. Another unique for An Fear Beag currently awaiting an obit.

What happens if two picks die on the same day, as appears to be the case with Hitchon and Nawi? Do we start looking for time of death, or do they both receive the base points that they would have got had the other not died.?

(assuming both get obits)

2 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

What happens if two picks die on the same day, as appears to be the case with Hitchon and Nawi? Do we start looking for time of death, or do they both receive the base points that they would have got had the other not died.?

(assuming both get obits)

Hm. Had this scenario before with Gerard Basset and Chris Wilson both picked by Reptile in 2019. In that scenario I treated Wilson as the first death of the two because he was in Australia and died morning-time and thus fairly likely to have died before Basset. Nawi died in Israel, and also said to be a morning death. If US resident Hitchon indeed died the same day as Nawi, I suspect he'd have died after Nawi. So most likely I would treat Nawi as having died before Hitchon for the purposes of this pool.

Additionally you would get a 5 extra points for having two hits on the same day.

Albeit QOs will need to come for both (Hitchon quite likely, Nawi could go either way) for this judgment to be exercised.

And as Hitchon appears to be alive after all the above is rendered moot

• Haha 1

Larry King tended to ask easy questions in his numerous interviews, and four teams here answered his "Would I, a frail old guy who also appeared on Hollywood Squares, be a good HPDP pick?" query with a resounding yes. Larry King Now scores for them.

Charles De Gaulle gets 45 base points + 27 bonus = 72, Perhaps 30 + 18 = 48, The Daredevil 15 + 9 = 24, and Funeralopolis 25 sub points.

Those who had him on their main team will likely get an extra .19 covid points, but I will wait until we get confirmation of his cause of death just to be sure.

We have the first scoreboard of the year with Perhaps emerging as the current King with three hits...

Perhaps

Charles De Gaulle

=3.

CaptainChorizo

=3.

gcreptile

An Fear Beag

drol

=7.

Book

=7.

Eesti

msc

Funeralopolis

The Daredevil

Sean

=13.

Everyone else

• Like 2

Given how she still looked under 70 well past 90, leading most to expect her to be a lock for the century mark, it's tempting to award the "highly unlikely death" bonus to Cicely Tyson... but no, just the base points for her two pickers. Certainly the Trip to Bountiful for time, who receives 45 points, and Elephant receives 30.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Given how she still looked under 70 well past 90, leading most to expect her to be a lock for the century mark, it's tempting to award the "highly unlikely death" bonus to Cicely Tyson... but no, just the base points for her two pickers. Certainly the Trip to Bountiful for time, who receives 45 points, and Elephant receives 30.

booooooooooooooooooo

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Death Impends said:

booooooooooooooooooo some more

I’m not playing in this Deadpool

Tom Moore is my second hit.

Ah, that fickle finger of fate. Covid gave Captain Tom Moore nationwide renown, a knighthood, a UK #1 hit single, and now it kills him. This exciting final plot twist in the Captain Tom saga sees five teams firmly grasp their zimmer frames and do a slooooow victory lap up the scoreboard.

50.19 points for YoungWillz and Pedro67, 45.19 for Great Uncle Bulgaria, 40.19 for Elephant, and 25 sub points for Exu.

Elsewhere, Hal Holbrook was not a pick here but heeding his advice to follow the money leads one to another Watergate death. Watergate burglar Eugenio Martinez has also died, however your host's Nixon theme awaits a QO.

• Thanks 3

New York Times QO has come for Eugenio Martinez. 30 base points plus 12 unique bonus points gets me 42 total as he attempts to break-in past the pearly gates. However, his obit also reveals Virgilio Gonzalez died in 2014, ergo Gonzalez is a nil-pointer for my team. Those nefarious Watergate burglars engage in cover-up even after death!

Obama was very close to picking Indiana governor/senator Evan Bayh as his running mate back in 08. So in a universe where that happened, we could've seen Susan Bayh on the Drop 40! But instead we're in the world where he picked Biden, and Susan Bayh made the Drop 40. Hey wait a minute...

Three teams want points, now that she can't go back there. 45 points for LizLemon, 30 for theoldlady, and 20 for drol.

And with that, our latest scoreboard. The top two remain unchanged, but Dying Probably zooms into third off the Cicely Tyson-Captain Tom Moore one-two.

Perhaps

Charles De Gaulle

Dying Probably

drol

=5.

CaptainChorizo

=5.

gcreptile

=7.

Pedro67

=7.

YoungWillz

An Fear Beag

Great Uncle Bulgaria

=11.

Book

=11.

Eesti

=11.

LizLemon

=11.

time

Death Impends

theoldlady

msc

=18.

Exu

=18.

Funeralopolis

The Daredevil

Sean

=22.

Everyone else

• Like 4

I'm pacing the title defence: it's a marathon not a sprint etc.

A heavyweight day for the HPDP with the news that Leon Spinks died yesterday. 10 beneficiaries stand triumphant in the ring as they punch up the scoreboard:

45 points for Joey Russ.

40 for chilean way and Exu.

35 for An Fear Beag.

30 for En Passant and The Quim Reaper.

25 for Funeralopolis.

20 for theoldlady - and as Spinks died the day before Bayh, the value of her Bayh hit shrinks by 5 to 25.

and a featherweight 10 for Annami and The Unknown Man.

• Like 4

On 26/12/2020 at 21:48, Dying Probably said:

Tyson qualifies for the Pantomime bonus.

By the way, @Death Impends, I believe Tyson gives everyone a Pantomime bonus...

2 minutes ago, Dying Probably said:

By the way, @Death Impends, I believe Tyson gives everyone a Pantomime bonus...

I don't see anything indicating that's a panto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

I don't see anything indicating that's a panto.

Must resist, must resist, too obvious.

No, its no good, can't.

It's behind you!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Must resist, must resist, too obvious.

No, its no good, can't.

It's behind you!

You disappoint me, Passant.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Quim Reaper said:

You disappoint me, Passant.

I disappoint myself.

Still look on the bright side eh? Whilst I still have the ability to act like I'm seven years old, I've not sunk to the depths of crying publicly every time somebody I half heard of dies, or posting about all the things I've not taken part in.

So there's hope, there's always hope.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Hectic times for the Hartlepool Deadlypool. The SoS signals SOS, to no avail... former US Secretary of State George Shultz, among the least corrupt members of the Nixon/Reagan cabinets, has died at a venerable 100. He provides 35 points to me and Joemoneypenny.

Dai Davies continues the recent hot streak in the HPDP with a lot of teams picking up points. With 15 teams picking him, he's the most popular hit thus far and the 5th most popular pick.

50 points for CaptainChorizo and maryportfuncity.

45 for An Fear Beag and YorkshireBanker.

40 for msc, Perhaps, and Sean.

35 for Book, Eesti, and Funeralopolis.

25 for drol, En Passant, JoeMoneypenny, and Torva Messor.

5 for The Old Crem.

New scoreboard time. Perhaps holds onto his lead thanks to being among the Davies beneficiaries but Spinks allows An Fear Beag to leap into second. I'll enjoy the top 10 view while it lasts... :biggrin:

Perhaps

An Fear Beag

CaptainChorizo

drol

Funeralopolis

=6.

Book

=6.

Eesti

Death Impends

Charles De Gaulle

Dying Probably

msc

Exu

JoeMoneypenny

Sean

En Passant

gcreptile

=17.

Pedro67

=17.

YoungWillz

maryportfuncity

Great Uncle Bulgaria

=21.

Joey Russ

=21.

LizLemon

=21.

theoldlady

=21.

time

=21.

YorkshireBanker

chilean way

The Quim Reaper

Torva Messor

The Daredevil

=30.

Annami

=30.

The Unknown Man

The Old Crem

=33.

Everyone else

• Like 3

Carlos Menem continues an extravagant February for the Hartlepool's participants. He was widely anticipated as an early-year death and so is largely a lucrative hit for his lucky 13 selectors. Mind, his record as president, while far from illustrious, doesn't seem to qualify for crimes against humanity at a glance. More of a typical corrupto.

50 points for CaptainChorizo, gcreptile, and GuyFromFuture. Chorizo gets a third consecutive 50 pointer, and leaves Gail Halvorsen nervously watching his step.

45 for Annami, Lynchian, and msc.

40 for Book, Eesti, Funeralopolis, Sean, and Torva Messor.

30 for Perhaps.

25 for En Passant.

• Like 2