• Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Will he get a QO, do we reckon?

5 hours ago, Dying Probably said:

Not famous enough.

5 hours ago, msc said:

No reason for him to QO whatsoever.

:D

'course he will, family of the famous and all that.

• Haha 4

Jonathan Gash (Real Name: John Grant) author of the Lovejoy books which were subsequently made into the TV series. 88 this year. Will  presumably get a QO at least on the BBC website  because of the TV series.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Jonathan Gash (Real Name: John Grant)

As a writer one assumes the man is a master of the written word, now I'm not a master of the written word (or of anything else) but adopting a nom-de-plume of 'Gash'? Really?

It's not even as if his starting point was Reg Dwight, Maurice Micklewhite or Marion Morrison.

• Haha 1

Haven't got proper confirmation other than this Reddit thread but Babes In Toyland guitarist-singer Kat Bjelland has stage 4 liver failure and is not eligible for a transplant. 

Really sad news. They were always phenomenal live, and also were responsible for my first - and last - stagedive and the only time I've been properly assaulted at a gig (some arsehole thumped me right in the face at Reading 1993).

1 hour ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Haven't got proper confirmation other than this Reddit thread but Babes In Toyland guitarist-singer Kat Bjelland has stage 4 liver failure and is not eligible for a transplant. 

Really sad news. They were always phenomenal live, and also were responsible for my first - and last - stagedive and the only time I've been properly assaulted at a gig (some arsehole thumped me right in the face at Reading 1993).

Lori Barbero is a friend of mine, I'll see if she's heard anything

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

She's currently in a hospice here in Minneapolis

• Sad 1

Of course all these hospice names show up after I have to submit my team. Yay hosting duties...

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Of course all these hospice names show up after I have to submit my team. Yay hosting duties...

Well to be fair, it's only recently that she was moved to a hospice.

Some of these Italian politicians

Former President

Giorgio Napolitano (b. 1925)

Former Prime Ministers 

Arnaldo Forlani (b. 1925)

Ciriaco De Mita (b. 1928)

Lamberto Dini (b. 1931)

Silvio Berlusconi (b. 1936)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

How famous were Babes in Toyland and Kat Bjelland?  I have never heard of them but wasn`t around when they were big so finding it hard to judge just how famous she is.

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

How famous were Babes in Toyland and Kat Bjelland?  I have never heard of them but wasn`t around when they were big so finding it hard to judge just how famous she is.

I lived in London up until 17 years ago, had a few BIT albums and saw them a couple of times. Having moved to Minneapolis in 2004, they're probably more known in the US. Their popularity rose when grunge came about. They did a reunion gig a few years ago and a friend's daughter's band opened for them.  But to answer your question. if you're in to that style of music, they'll be known to you. 

54 minutes ago, Sean said:

She'll absolutely walk a QO. For someone of my age (mid-late 30s) BIT were always a band you heard more about than you actually heard, but they were always mentioned, and mentioned early, whenever anyone talked about riot grrrl music. 

• Like 3

Former FBI agent John Connolly was recently granted medical release from prison. Although generally unknown outside of Boston, he was the subject of the Johnny Depp film Black Mass. He's 80 and was recently diagnosed with some form of terminal cancer. 

• Like 2

On 23/02/2021 at 21:08, Phantom said:

She's currently in a hospice here in Minneapolis

I'd heard she was in a hospice. Sounds pretty grave to put it mildly.

Met Lori (and the rest of the band) numerous times back in the day, Lori in particular was always super nice. I've got loads of old photos - I'll dig some out when the time comes.

9 hours ago, Phantom said:

I lived in London up until 17 years ago, had a few BIT albums and saw them a couple of times. Having moved to Minneapolis in 2004, they're probably more known in the US. Their popularity rose when grunge came about. They did a reunion gig a few years ago and a friend's daughter's band opened for them.  But to answer your question. if you're in to that style of music, they'll be known to you. 

Babes In Toyland were big in alternative and indie circles in the early/mid 90s and toured extensively in the UK. I expect Kat will get an obit in somewhere like The Guardian, especially due to her links to Courtney Love (who famously nicked her style).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vinegar Tits said:

I'd heard she was in a hospice. Sounds pretty grave to put it mildly.

Met Lori (and the rest of the band) numerous times back in the day, Lori in particular was always super nice. I've got loads of old photos - I'll dig some out when the time comes.

Lori is lovely. I had the honour of working alongside her a couple of times at venues where she was either DJing or working the bar while I ran the merch table for the band playing that night. One such time, I was working for Anna Marie Lewis (Jerry Lee Lewis' niece).

Iran Barkley

The 60 year old retired  boxer had a stroke a few years ago,is diabetic and battled Covid-19 earlier in the year. 

Craig Charles. He had a heart attack two years ago and had four stents fitted. He claims to have gone from two packs of the gaspers a day down to half a pack, although this interview suggests he isn't exactly moderating things.

• Like 1

Was a camera technician and artist for Disney Studios and notable works she helped with include: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Fantasia and Sleeping Beauty.

She experienced 1918 influenza pandemic and now is living through Covid-19 pandemic.

She looks quite good for 110.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, errorgorilla said:

Craig Charles. He had a heart attack two years ago and had four stents fitted. He claims to have gone from two packs of the gaspers a day down to half a pack, although this interview suggests he isn't exactly moderating things.

"Midlife crisis" so he is going to live to 112 no chance.70 looks a big stretch.

• Like 1

“Aaron Neville turned 80 years old Sunday, the first of three New Orleans rhythm & blues legends hitting that milestone in 2021. Next month, it’s Irma Thomas' turn, followed by “Deacon” John Moore — who played guitar on Neville’s 1966 recording of “Tell It Like It Is” — in June.”

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/keith_spera/article_3f96cb64-60c0-11eb-9d75-730d118048a9.html