Dying Probably

The Dead of 2021

GB News reporting someone shot dead at scene of disturbance at Kensington Palace.

Mark Geyer, former director of the Johnson Space Center died earlier this week. Resigned earlier in the year due to being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Would've been a fringe pick for myself in DDP, still no QO.

Elfrida von Nardroff has died aged 96. She was a quiz show contestant on "Twenty-One" in 1958, who won more than any other contestant, thanks to the tried and trusted practice of feeding her the correct answers beforehand. She ammassed $220,500 over the course of several months - equivalent to $2.1million today.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, time said:

Elfrida von Nardroff has died aged 96. She was a quiz show contestant on "Twenty-One" in 1958, who won more than any other contestant, thanks to the tried and trusted practice of feeding her the correct answers beforehand. She ammassed $220,500 over the course of several months - equivalent to $2.1million today.

Never knew there was a contestant there that "won" more than Charles Van Doren.

Only learned not too long ago that the basic premise of Jeopardy was a satire of the 50s US quiz show scandals, where now the host is giving you all the answers out in the open, but with the catch you now have to come up with the questions!

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

Never knew there was a contestant there that "won" more than Charles Van Doren.

Only learned not too long ago that the basic premise of Jeopardy was a satire of the 50s US quiz show scandals, where now the host is giving you all the answers out in the open, but with the catch you now have to come up with the questions!

I was vaguely aware that Van Doren wasn't the only one, but could never have named names  - strangely enough I've got Quiz Show lined up in my watchlist to watch this weekend, I wonder if that expands on others or is limited to Van Doren.

Never knew that about Jeopardy either; I'll take interesting facts about TV shows for $200 please Alex.

On 11/12/2021 at 14:55, Banana said:

Mark Geyer, former director of the Johnson Space Center died earlier this week. Resigned earlier in the year due to being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Would've been a fringe pick for myself in DDP, still no QO.

My 5% suspicions were right

Telegraph obit for film director Kevin Billington (wiki), aged 87.

Credits include The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer (1970), starring Peter Cook. Also worked closely in theatre with Harold Pinter.

His widow is author Rachel Billington (wiki), the daughter of the late Labour peer Frank Pakenham, 7th Earl of Longford.

• Like 1

Mexican actress Tania Mendoza shot dead while waiting to pick up her son.

BBC

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Telegraph obit for film director Kevin Billington (wiki), aged 87.

Credits include The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer (1970), starring Peter Cook. Also worked closely in theatre with Harold Pinter.

His widow is author Rachel Billington (wiki), the daughter of the late Labour peer Frank Pakenham, 7th Earl of Longford.

According to that Wiki link Rachel Billington is Boris Johnson’s god mother.

Yikes, average age under 55 today.

Not as many racing drivers on there as per previous years but I do note that many of the oldest footballers would've qualified - Arthur Bramley, Kenny McDevitt and Ray Ruffett for example.

A heck of a lot of notable people died in Motorsport like Hazel Chapman, Carlos Reutemann, Nino Vaccarella,  Andre Ribeiro, Chris Craft, Bobby Unser, Al Unser, Leslie Marr, Johnny Dumfries, Adrian Campos and so on not on that list...

I'd argue they were more significant than someone who played 26 times for a lower league team.

• Like 2

Jeanette Altwegg got a Guardian obit as I recall. 

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Leslie Brown and Jeannette Altwegg.

That's all, unless there are several others who have not been added on to the List of the Lost yet?

Altwegg got a Q/O in the Times a couple of months ago.

I am surprised Tennis Player Darlene Hard did not make the list 

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Jeanette Altwegg got a Guardian obit as I recall. 

Actually you're right. She's still on List of the Lost for some reason (even though she's also on the page for the list of hits).

So just one then OoO – Leslie Brown.

I went ahead and removed her from the page just now, going to be a groove I'll have to get used to soon after all :)

Brown, let's wait until his points are in the system in a week or so once Reptile's back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Actually you're right. She's still on List of the Lost for some reason (even though she's also on the page for the list of hits).

So just one then OoO – Leslie Brown.

Disgraceful, we should sack the person in charge of the page and replace them with someone more efficient! :D

(Lapses in communication basically. Afaik the LOTL is up to date re missing obits but there might be a WEP type pick hidden down the back of a sofa somewhere.)

• Like 1

Ron Anderson, vocal coach to stars including Ozzy Osbourne, Lenny Kravitz, Adele, Red Hot Chili Peppers and many others, has died aged 75.

• Like 2

Re BBC: There's also Arthur (Hoyle) Smith, the one who died at 106.

Smith and Brown were the two year-end obits I had expected. Now I'm hoping for Belinda Sykes, and maaaybe Ken Wilkinson.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2021 at 20:00, The Old Crem said:

Altwegg got a Q/O in the Times a couple of months ago.

I am surprised Tennis Player Darlene Hard did not make the list 

Will an obituary for Hard in today's Times cheer you up?

• Like 1

Truly Scrumptious Times Obituary for DDP regular and a big loss, Sally Ann Howeshttps://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sally-ann-howes-obituary-fsbppbb7q

@Ulitzer95 might confirm, I believe date of death was 19 December.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0398141/

IBDB: https://www.ibdb.com/broadway-cast-staff/sally-ann-howes-45779

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4