Dying Probably

The Dead of 2021

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Truly Scrumptious Times Obituary for DDP regular and a big loss, Sally Ann Howeshttps://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sally-ann-howes-obituary-fsbppbb7q

@Ulitzer95 might confirm, I believe date of death was 19 December.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0398141/

IBDB: https://www.ibdb.com/broadway-cast-staff/sally-ann-howes-45779

Yes, December 19th.

• Thanks 1

Wonder will we get a big death in the next few days (push notification from BBC News/Sky News etc. worthy )

There always seems to be a biggish name death in and around Christmas

41 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Wonder will we get a big death in the next few days (push notification from BBC News/Sky News etc. worthy )

There always seems to be a biggish name death in and around Christmas

Didn't we have this conversation last year and come to the conclusion (by looking at the select few big names who had died on 24–26 Dec over 30-40 years) that it was a bit of an urban myth?

• Like 2

As a member of the fourth estate I think it's because (non-deadpooling) people are (traditionally) less busy over Christmas so they pay more attention to the passing of celebrities. There's never anything on the news Xmas Day other than "Queen said this, Pope said that", so they go pretty big on "James Brown/Eartha Kitt/George Michael Dead"

• Like 2

So, thought I'd put this here where it'll get seen because there's dead pool points - maybe - riding on this (basically, someone's messaged me asking about including Moth Winn on a Deathrace team!) Raynor Winn- best selling author who writes about her terminally ill husband in her autobiographical books - has made Moth Winn famous enough to be obitable and I'm struggling to know if he's alive. A few of the bot-driven barrel scraping online emporia of obits appear to have him dead sometime in the summer of this year, though they can't agree on a month, let alone a date of death. Can't find owt that'd count as a q/o in a standard dead pool and - short of ringing up Raynor and fucking her Christmas over by raising the issue of dead pool points, I'm stumped as to whether Moth counts as a dead pool pick. Anyone know? 

Here's the lassie herself:

1024px-Raynor_Winn_2019.jpg

Seems to have been announced that TSW farming presenter and later Westcountry TV weather presenter Ron Bendell has died aged 67. I thought he was much older given Westcountry started in Jan 1993 and he looked old by then. 

Joan Didion, dead-ion at 87.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

A unique pick in the DDP.

Not so bad a "msc needs to take his own tips seriously" fail as my mention of her being frail on Netflix was actually in early 2018. 

Weirdly looking it up, Spade offered another person looking frail on Netflix as a reply (Sylvia Weinstock) and it turns out she died less than a month ago. Ideas thread quirk of fate!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, msc said:

Not so bad a "msc needs to take his own tips seriously" fail as my mention of her being frail on Netflix was actually in early 2018. 

Weirdly looking it up, Spade offered another person looking frail on Netflix as a reply (Sylvia Weinstock) and it turns out she died less than a month ago. Ideas thread quirk of fate!

It would be really useful if someone compiled a list of all the names ever mentioned in the Ideas and Possibilities threads who are still living.

Not me though. I'm bored of writing lists for now. Someone else can do it. :D

• Like 2

BBC's annual in memoriam video is up on iPlayer, available here.

Very well done this year, and it would appear they've finally acknowledged the death of Clarissa Eden.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

BBC's annual in memoriam video is up on iPlayer, available here.

Very well done this year, and it would appear they've finally acknowledged the death of Clarissa Eden.

And Jane Powell!

• Like 1

On 04/12/2021 at 14:15, Predictor said:

Death notice is just a listing of her death with no other text, right? I take it that alone doesn't count as a QO?

Honestly, it is interesting how a big broadcaster like BBC, who can practically hire any expert guests they want, found Carol qualified enough to appear as an U.S. political commentator (i.e. BBC Radio 4) for over 15 years. Yet not interesting enough to mention her death (caused by the most talked-about diseases in the past 2 years!), even in passing. Not only that, they also hired her, a BAFTA member, as an Oscars commentator. Politics and films are competitive and oversaturated fields, you're not going to get a foot in and be heard by millions of viewers if you're a complete nobody. I'd understand if it was an entomologist talking about the filbert weevil for 30 minutes on a 3:AM radio show that only bored truck drivers tune in to during their night shifts.

Or why not ITV News, as she had a stint at Anglia Television in the 1980s? Apparently, she was the one who pushed for those P.D. James novels to be televised. She also commissioned the last three seasons of Tales of the Unexpected.

Time is running out...

Last year, Christie Blatchford was a non-QO for me and now this. Both in the same field, both females born in North America, and both dying at age 68. My "note to self" practically writes itself for next year. :(:(:(

Actually, forget the DDP for a moment. Carol didn't even get a local obituary. Would she even pass the low requirement for Hare's and Deathrace? Shame on British media. She wasted so many years working in a country that doesn't give a single fuck. WTF. :banghead::rant::banghead:

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Gary Beikirch, Vietnam veteran and Medal of Honour recipient, has died aged 74.

Damn it, was hoping he’d be a good DDP differential next year

Yeah, same. December ending as the last few months started - wipeout of the shortlist.

On 11/12/2021 at 16:50, time said:

@christhebarker's 2021 "Sgt. Pepper" cover - see how many you can identify! (there's a key in the following tweet if you get stuck).

Updated

• Like 1

Russian right-wing blogger and Crimean Invasion supporter Yegor Prosvirnin, dead at 35, after failing out of the window... strange...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10348293/Founder-Russian-nationalist-blog-falls-death-Moscow-window.html

He also predicted the eventual collapse of Putin's Russia.

Another big last minute faller.

Telegraph breaking the news of the death of model, actress and author April Ashley MBE (wiki), aged 86.

The second Britain ever to have gender reassignment surgery in 1960 (which subsequently led to her marriage being annulled in the Corbett v. Corbett case of 1969).

A pick for two teams in the DDP.

ashlea.jpg.ee33ec5f98fb211cca4159eea7ab1c99.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

35 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Another big last minute faller.

Telegraph breaking the news of the death of model, actress and author April Ashley MBE (wiki), aged 86.

The second Britain ever to have gender reassignment surgery in 1960 (which subsequently led to her marriage being annulled in the Corbett v. Corbett case of 1969).

A pick for two teams in the DDP.

ashlea.jpg.ee33ec5f98fb211cca4159eea7ab1c99.jpg

The joker pick for my Scouse theme team. I think she was in my shadow list last year and would have been again next year, typically she was not this year.

32 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

The joker pick for my Scouse theme team. I think she was in my shadow list last year and would have been again next year, typically she was not this year.

She was in my Crowdsourced list.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

She was in my Crowdsourced list.

Mine too, now I come to think of it.