Gooseberry Crumble

I predict the grim reaper is going to confound sceptics and be its most powerful yet like a super strong enema in 2024 moreso than recent years equalling or even beating 2020

2 hours ago, polar duck said:

Jimmy Carter can't last more than a few weeks. He spends most of his time sleeping and his anniversary with Rosalynn is coming up. He'll either go in the next week or in the first week of July.

Noam Chomsky was probably sent home to die. Like Carter, he's at high risk of dying in the next week. However, I could also see him reaching August, but not long enough to see his supporters pounce on the DNC.

Aside from that, Fritzl, Bugner, and Redgrave are the first who come to mind.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, polar duck said:

Jimmy Carter can't last more than a few weeks. He spends most of his time sleeping and his anniversary with Rosalynn is coming up. He'll either go in the next week or in the first week of July.

You just added like 5 months to his lifespan 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

You just added like 5 months to his lifespan  

I know the place we are in. However, providing it doesn't mean ridiculous pain for the recipient, this is a bad thing?

• Facepalm 1

6 months with no hit - I’ve not known a time like it!

The 3 that came in quick succession at the beginning of the year were fortunate not to have occurred just 8 days earlier rendering 2024 with nothing to show for……

• Like 3

On 30/12/2023 at 20:38, Death Impends said:

My boring 2024 prediction will be a 1928 collapse. Given that 1928 babies are turning 96 next year, the amount left that are on the DL (Kennedy, Morris, Le Pen), previously on/must return to the DL (Chomsky), or potentially DL-y (Lovell, Watson, Lehrer, Dr. Ruth, Marion Ross, etc) is pretty impressive, and feels like a bubble about to burst.

This prediction hasn't had much legs so far, with Dr. Ruth the first mentioned above to die. But that could easily be the breaking of the dam.

• Like 2

The grim reaper took a 6 month long nap and now he had to cram everything into the 2nd half of the year. I think August—December will be packed with celebrity deaths, but overall the list will only be at 5/50 by the end of year. 2025 will be very similar to 2023, where most people don't expect that much out of the DL, and yet it manages to almost match the 2020 record. For me there's a possibility that 2026 will break the high score.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

The DL drought is crazy given the surviving names. Imo when the dam breaks it's going to be like 2022 on steroids.

• Like 1

Worst. Year. Ever 

What a deadbeat year.

It's not just been a bad year... where are the big deaths coming from in 2025? Other than Sven, has a single a-lister revealed that they have a serious cancer this year?

• Like 1

The DDP is on course for another record. We might get to 340 hits or so.

It's the A+ list that's missing though.

• Like 1

It's being very bad. Apart from the catastrophic performance of the official DL, which basically means cranky A-listers are not dying, the whole Immortals thread has been sleeping since Shi Ping's untimely death. None of about 100 of the sickest people on the planet is now hospitalised or actively dying. None.

The usual in&out of hospital human cases go in and bounce back in a few days. Mahathir, Nujoma, Silvio Santos, Abdullah the Butcher, LK Advani, Arlindo Cruz. Always routine chek-ups for everyone, despite the fact they are in their 130s or have been ill for decades.

Chomsky and Carter survived fucking death hoaxes. Jayapataka has completely recovered from being dead, has been out and about for a month or more, has seemingly no health issues now. Alberto Fujimori is running for fucking president, cancer, falls, fibrosis do not harm him. I expected Mujica to be dead a few weeks after diagnosis and he's reportedly beating it now.

There are scores of super elder Chinese politicians (Song Ping, Song fucking Ping, and how is Zhu Rongji still going) and decrepit Hollywood actresses/actors. These seem the hardest things to kill in the whole world. Tippi Hedren, Joanne Woodward, Gena Rowlands, Gene Hackman. Going on forever.

Yes, that's just not normal.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, drol said:

It's being very bad. Apart from the catastrophic performance of the official DL, which basically means cranky A-listers are not dying...

And also that the decision to just pick a bunch of very old people, many without serious health issues, was a bad one.

6/10 of my picks have died in the mini deathlist game I play with a few friends, and they're all very well known people. Two were under 50, one just over 50. I picked people based on their health, not their age. I might even get a clean sweep by the end of the year. If I've got more hits from 10 picks than the deathlist has from 50, it's a sign that something needs to change.

that is indeed a very poor year. But, hey, two things :

1) the year is not out. I'd say either we'll have a busy autumn or 2025 will be a literal bloodbath. I still can't see Carter, Chomsky or Woodward reaching 2025. 

2) We did have interesting deaths and prominent ones : A listers such as Navalny, O.J. Simpson, Shuterland, Shelley Duvall, Shannen Doherty, Hardy or Chita Rivera ; old forum favorites (Corman, Johns, Munro, Jewison, Newhart) ; ill Drop 40 picks (Frank Field, Derek Draper, Simon Cowell, Jonnie Irwin, Toby Keith) and even a few immortals (Zhang Lixiong, Ma Shitu, Shi Ping, Kabosu, Tin Oo, Manolic…). I wouldn't say the year is THAT bad, just the ones we were sure would score are still inexplicably going, hence the frustration… 

That said, I wouldn't be mad if we don't have any other hit for the remaining year. If we can't break the record for the most hits, let's break the one for the least hits.

Also, from a French perspective, the year has been triumphal with only prominent A Listers names (lingerers or sudden ones) dying one after the other. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Master Obit said:

And also that the decision to just pick a bunch of very old people, many without serious health issues, was a bad one

completely disagree. The aim of the list is to predict celebs who could die this year. Hence, A lister nonagenarians such as Aldrin, Van Dyke, Brooks and other should be on even if they don't have any known health issues. They're too big to miss and I couldn't explain why younger people with less notoriety but a terminal diagnosis would be on the list over them (i.e. Tim Bilton or Theo Burrell). It would simply not make any sense. 

• Like 6

I would also like to point out that we had just as many hits by this point in 2022, and that year ended on 14. 

That said, the dry spell could continue for the months to come. Who knows what the future holds? There are an awful lot of potential hits on the list, remember the beginning of the year, where everyone thought this was one of the most promising lists in years? Most of those promising names are still here, but for how much longer?

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

completely disagree. The aim of the list is to predict celebs who could die this year. Hence, A lister nonagenarians such as Aldrin, Van Dyke, Brooks and other should be on even if they don't have any known health issues. They're too big to miss and I couldn't explain why younger people with less notoriety but a terminal diagnosis would be on the list over them (i.e. Tim Bilton or Theo Burrell). It would simply not make any sense. 

Absolute rubbish. 

"The aim of the list is to predict celebs who could die this year"

"should be on even if they don't have any known health issues"

In terms of what makes someone likely to die, severe health issues are the single biggest factor. A 50 year old with very advanced cancer is significantly more likely to die than any random nonagenarian.

Sure, in your 90s the light can shut off at any moment, but I think people get far too attached to the notion that it would be a miss if someone in their 90s was left off due to being in apparent good health and subsequently died. I wouldn't consider that a miss - it wasn't really predictable. Over 90 and in bad shape should be included, over 90 and still physically and mentally active should not.

In your 90s, the chance of making it to your next birthday is about 2/3. If you're in relatively good health, it's higher than that. That's why I don't think it's sensible to pick people on that alone, especially when a lot of these people have enough money to afford the very best healthcare.

• Like 2

Still on the DL but still likely to go in 2024:

1. Jimmy Carter - you may have heard of him.

2. Francis. Some say he's looking better lately. I say he's one bad bout of pneumonia away from punching Benny in the balls again.

3. Cleo Laine. Very old and BBC and Sky Arts have ran tribute nights in recent months, maybe they know something.

4. Chomsky. Frail, survived bunch of strokes, when not if in near future.

5. Robert Wagner - has COPD and id haunted by a vengeful ghost 

6. Starmer Smith. Bedridden for years and been near death since 2022.

7. James Whale. Moody bugger with slow terminal cancer but you can't outrun prognosis forever.

8. Joanne Woodward. End stage dementia since forever.

9. Le Pen. Meant to be very frail. Not enough for my liking.

10. Denis Law. Very ill and quiet. And I forgot about him for Scavengers.

11. Hans Blix. Said to be in poor health 

12. Tom Brokaw. Severe cancer last year, unusually quiet of late?

13. Linda Nolan. See James Whale.

14. Norman Tebbit. Frail and quiet for ages.

15. Willie Nelson. Frail and visibly slowing down.

16. Esther Rantzen. Dying of lung cancer.

17. Roberta Flack. About to approach usual prognosis time for her age group with als.

18. Sly Stone. How is he still alive?

Imo around half of them are gone by Hogmanay. Add in 2-3 random old age deaths and that's yer DL 2024.

Now watch all of the above live and Dick Van Dyke randomly cark it instead.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Personally I don't think it's been that bad in recent months, it was a bit worrying at the start of the year but my DDP team is doing well and I'm on track to beat my shadow list from last year (I'm only 1 behind with 5 months to go). I agree with what others have said about the 'official' list, in that it has just been unlucky with a lot overdue, and a couple of misses (e.g. William Russell, Shannen Doherty). But overall I wouldn't say it's been the best, but it could very easily be worse. I'd also reserve judgement in full until December.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, msc said:

-

CUT

-

Imo around half of them are gone by Hogmanay. Add in 2-3 random old age deaths and that's yer DL 2024.

I agree that almost all of this list could go any day now but the problem is most of them have been in that condition for a year or more, and have just kept going and going and going.... They're a resilient bunch and I genuinely could see most of them lasting even longer. None of them are in a Derek Draper situation where things have been drastically getting worse and worse before finally reaching a peak a week before death, a lot of their conditions have been stable (critically or not) or without update for months to years.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, msc said:

1. Jimmy Carter - you may have heard of him.

2. Francis. Some say he's looking better lately. I say he's one bad bout of pneumonia away from punching Benny in the balls again.

3. Cleo Laine. Very old and BBC and Sky Arts have ran tribute nights in recent months, maybe they know something.

4. Chomsky. Frail, survived bunch of strokes, when not if in near future.

5. Robert Wagner - has COPD and id haunted by a vengeful ghost 

6. Starmer Smith. Bedridden for years and been near death since 2022.

7. James Whale. Moody bugger with slow terminal cancer but you can't outrun prognosis forever.

8. Joanne Woodward. End stage dementia since forever.

9. Le Pen. Meant to be very frail. Not enough for my liking.

10. Denis Law. Very ill and quiet. And I forgot about him for Scavengers.

11. Hans Blix. Said to be in poor health 

12. Tom Brokaw. Severe cancer last year, unusually quiet of late?

13. Linda Nolan. See James Whale.

14. Norman Tebbit. Frail and quiet for ages.

15. Willie Nelson. Frail and visibly slowing down.

16. Esther Rantzen. Dying of lung cancer.

17. Roberta Flack. About to approach usual prognosis time for her age group with als.

18. Sly Stone. How is he still alive?

I'll do you a deal (and anyone else who wants to get in on this). If the list ends with 15+ hits (the very minimum score I'd say a well selected list should get), then I'll donate £50 to a charity of your choosing. If not, you have to donate £50 to a charity of my choosing. One of us has to be right, and some good can come off the disagreement.

There's a real potential for the deathlist to get 25+ hits with clever choosing and ditching the cloying sentimentality of having loads of very old A-list celebrities on because they don't want to risk them missing out on the hit.

2 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

that is indeed a very poor year. But, hey, two things :

1) the year is not out. I'd say either we'll have a busy autumn or 2025 will be a literal bloodbath. I still can't see Carter, Chomsky or Woodward reaching 2025. 

2) We did have interesting deaths and prominent ones : A listers such as Navalny, O.J. Simpson, Shuterland, Shelley Duvall, Shannen Doherty, Hardy or Chita Rivera ; old forum favorites (Corman, Johns, Munro, Jewison, Newhart) ; ill Drop 40 picks (Frank Field, Derek Draper, Simon Cowell, Jonnie Irwin, Toby Keith) and even a few immortals (Zhang Lixiong, Ma Shitu, Shi Ping, Kabosu, Tin Oo, Manolic…). I wouldn't say the year is THAT bad, just the ones we were sure would score are still inexplicably going, hence the frustration… 

That said, I wouldn't be mad if we don't have any other hit for the remaining year. If we can't break the record for the most hits, let's break the one for the least hits.

Also, from a French perspective, the year has been triumphal with only prominent A Listers names (lingerers or sudden ones) dying one after the other. 

When did Simon Cowell die? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

When did Simon Cowell die? 

This Simon Cowell

Not this Simon Cowell

Who you may be thinking of.

9th June 2024.

• Like 1