Gooseberry Crumble

I predict the grim reaper is going to confound sceptics and be its most powerful yet like a super strong enema in 2024 moreso than recent years equalling or even beating 2020

3 minutes ago, BCAlum2000 said:

I think it's going to be the opposite.  

i think 2021 is going to be a much slower year in terms of high profile celebrity deaths.  

But we shall see.  

Celebrity deaths tend to come and go in cycles, and usually after a big year of celebrity deaths, the subsequent year tends to be much slower.

2009 was one of the biggest years in terms of celebrity deaths, but 2010 hardly had any big names.  I mean, the biggest celebrity death in 2010 was probably friggin' Dennis Hopper (at least in terms of Hollywood deaths)!  2016 was a hell of a year for celebrity deaths, and 2017 was kinda slow, though we did lose several names.  

Oh I understand the opposite point of view and that it goes against the grain or is counterintuitive  to think you will have two unusually big years consecutively   but I really do feel and believe that is the way the stars are aligning and  that is how it will play out. 

Time will tell.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Oh I understand the opposite point of view and that it goes against the grain or is counterintuitive  to think you will have two unusually big years consecutively   but I really do feel and believe that is the way the stars are aligning and  that is how it will play out. 

Time will tell.

When the moon is in the second house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

When the moon is in the second house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars....

Something along those lines although I am fan of Uranus being used more.....

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, paddyfool said:

Never is a long time.

I don't see why it shouldn't be equalized or surpassed ! I mean 20/50 is good but it's not even the half, even though the committee has picked some great names, some are low hanging fruits for years now. I look up to the year when half of the list will be hits and then, we could say that it was a wonderful year ! I mean come on, on these 50 dying celebrities, 20 is really great, and I want to congratulate the committee but I don't see why it shouldn’t ever pass the 20/50 line again or reach 25 ! 

On an other hand, I feel like, as @Gooseberry Crumble as underlined it, we're reaching the end of an era in dl with 4 centenarians gone this year and some who were in the list for years, I feel like people who are in their late 90's (Leslie Phillips, Bob Dole, Betty White, Jimmy Carter…) will all be dead by 2022 so I wouldn't be that surprised if 2021 is a rough year for celebrities and a great year for deathlist history again !

• Like 1

I think it'll be like 2017.

2016 was blockbuster A listers. 2017 tended to go for "musicians you liked in your teens", character actors and authors. But as Willz put it at the time (I paraphrase): that's equally as shit if you like all those things!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I don't see why it shouldn't be equalize or surpass ! I mean 20/50 is good but it's not even the half, even though the committee has picked some great names, some are low hanging fruits for years now. I look up to the year when half of the list will be hits and then, we could say that it was a wonderful year ! I mean come on, on these 50 dying celebrities, 20 is really great, and I want to congratulate the committee but I don't see why it won't ever pass the 20/50 line again or reach 25 ! 

On an other hand, I feel like, as @Gooseberry Crumble as underlined it, we're reaching the end of an era in dl with 4 centenarians gone this year and some who were in the list for years, I feel like people who are in their late 90's (Leslie Phillips, Bob Dole, Betty White, Jimmy Carter…) will all be dead by 2022 so I wouldn't be that surprised if 2021 is a rough year for celebrities and a great year for deathlist history again !

My thinking is largely in sync  with yours not totally  but we are definitely on the same page but maybe looking at it from slightly different angles. I wouldn't use the word wonderful as it will almost certainly be taken as insensitive 

But yes I think it is illogical and an overstatement to say it can never happen again and  could not happen twice in a row.

Bob Dole,  Bob Barker, Betty White, Prince Philip, Jimmy Carter,  Pope Benedict who I expect to be picked as well as Leslie Phillips and others are all credible 2021 predictions. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, msc said:

I think it'll be like 2017.

2016 was blockbuster A listers. 2017 tended to go for "musicians you liked in your teens", character actors and authors. But as Willz put it at the time (I paraphrase): that's equally as shit if you like all those things!

Ah yeah, I think that's a fair analysis.  

A lot of my favorite actors I grew up watching in the 80s and 90s have already passed away or are getting up there in age.  

10 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

My thinking is largely in sync  with yours not totally  but we are definitely on the same page but maybe looking at it from slightly different angles. I wouldn't use the word wonderful as it will almost certainly be taken as insensitive 

But yes I think it is illogical and an overstatement to say it can never happen again and  could not happen twice in a row.

Bob Dole,  Bob Barker, Betty White, Prince Philip, Jimmy Carter,  Pope Benedict who I expect to be picked as well as Leslie Phillips and others are all credible 2021 predictions. 

Yeah wonderful could be taken at insensitive, that wasn’t what I wanted to say but you get the point ^^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCAlum2000 said:

Ah yeah, I think that's a fair analysis.  

A lot of my favorite actors I grew up watching in the 80s and 90s have already passed away or are getting up there in age.  

Who are your favourites who are still alive? Clint Eastwood? Joan Collins? Lee Majors?

18 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Who are your favourites who are still alive? Clint Eastwood? Joan Collins? Lee Majors?

Diana Ri...:(

Think I've muttered this before; from around 2015 onwards there'd be loads of 'sleb deaths each year because the early Boomers - those of the 'rise of the teenager' and mass media age - are now hitting old age, and their idols are already there.

The pool of 'famous names' gets exponentially larger from the early 60's thanks to TV, pop music and fashion/pop culture. Also the Western population at large are now living much longer so the collective memory of people who were last famous 50+ years ago for 5 minutes will linger on.

Reckon you can post this every year into the future and still be proved right, in a way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Awe:o:( She was brilliant. 

Dagger in the heart, it was! (Dagger of the Mind was the Columbo with Honor Blackman in it instead)

Now I think my favourite living actress is Jean Marsh, and I'm steadying myself for bad news there at some point soon and all...

Just now, msc said:

Dagger in the heart, it was! (Dagger of the Mind was the Columbo with Honor Blackman in it instead)

Now I think my favourite living actress is Jean Marsh, and I'm steadying myself for bad news there at some point soon and all...

Ooh I find it hard to narrow down a favourite  actress. There are some particularly  of the golden era who are not outstanding  actresses but have some sort of X factor that translates into screen presence and being incredibly  watchable.  There are of course others  I like who are outstanding actresses and there are others who I like  because offscreen  in interviews both old and new(I devour interviews of old movie stars on YouTube etc)  they are really compelling,interesting and come across as decent. (On audio podcasts  as well as tv video interviews)

Meryl Streep probably qualifies in all three criteria for  me but isnt an absolute  favourite  because she gas stuff competition from the likes of Judi Dench and Julianne  Moore.

In terms of not being a superb actress but being fascinating either onscreen or offscreen  I'd plump for the likes of Joan Collins,  Angie Dickinson and Goldie Hawn as favourites. Always Enjoy their interviews. 

Sorry for the long monologue!:D

2 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Ooh I find it hard to narrow down a favourite  actress. There are some particularly  of the golden era who are not outstanding  actresses but have some sort of X factor that translates into screen presence and being incredibly  watchable.  There are of course others  I like who are outstanding actresses and there are others who I like  because offscreen  in interviews both old and new(I devour interviews of old movie stars on YouTube etc)  they are really compelling,interesting and come across as decent. (On audio podcasts  as well as tv video interviews)

Meryl Streep probably qualifies in all three criteria for  me but isnt an absolute  favourite  because she gas stuff competition from the likes of Judi Dench and Julianne  Moore.

In terms of not being a superb actress but being fascinating either onscreen or offscreen  I'd plump for the likes of Joan Collins,  Angie Dickinson and Goldie Hawn as favourites. Always Enjoy their interviews. 

Sorry for the long monologue!:D

Hah, yeah, I'm quite fond of the living big 5 of British actresses (ie - Dames Dench, Smith, Philips, Atkins and Marsh alll born in the same 18 months). Stephanie Cole another who is always good value.  Ally Hannigan too but for, err, other reasons. :D

As a fan of older British dramas I am quite fond of a vast number of character actresses and actors who show up all over the place!

19 minutes ago, msc said:

Hah, yeah, I'm quite fond of the living big 5 of British actresses (ie - Dames Dench, Smith, Philips, Atkins and Marsh alll born in the same 18 months). Stephanie Cole another who is always good value.  Ally Hannigan too but for, err, other reasons. :D

As a fan of older British dramas I am quite fond of a vast number of character actresses and actors who show up all over the place!

Stephanie Cole is a superb  actress especially at comedy and combining comedy with the right touch of serious and dramatic hence humanising a character. Her role as Sylvia in Coronation Street being a perfect example of that. She must be in her late seventies  now. I wonder if many people heaven forbid consider  her for deadpooling purposes?

Imelda Staunton another British favourite of mine as is Alison Steadman. 

Oh theres plenty of actors I like for other reasons  too..... Matthew McConaughey,  Chris Pine, James Caan,  Ted Shackleford, Jason Statham  far far too many to mention for a tart with eclectic tastes like me!:P

Are there any plans for a group chat tonight  in the build up to the big reveal as has happened in previous years?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NotTheNagsHeadReading said:

Think I've muttered this before; from around 2015 onwards there'd be loads of 'sleb deaths each year because the early Boomers - those of the 'rise of the teenager' and mass media age - are now hitting old age, and their idols are already there.

The pool of 'famous names' gets exponentially larger from the early 60's thanks to TV, pop music and fashion/pop culture. Also the Western population at large are now living much longer so the collective memory of people who were last famous 50+ years ago for 5 minutes will linger on.

Reckon you can post this every year into the future and still be proved right, in a way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36108133

BBC covered this a year after you identified the trend.Ahead of the curve.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sean said:

Are there any plans for a group chat tonight  in the build up to the big reveal as has happened in previous years?

I'd be up for that although I don't think I personally  have been invited to a new years eve forum group chat before? But I could be wrong?

I'm assuming by group chat you mean private message chat involving  numerous but without the profanity that was included in some unsolicited group chats earlier this year by disgruntled forums members?!:D

34 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I'd be up for that although I don't think I personally  have been invited to a new years eve forum group chat before? But I could be wrong?

I'm assuming by group chat you mean private message chat involving  numerous but without the profanity that was included in some unsolicited group chats earlier this year by disgruntled forums members?!:D

I think it was private message.Cant remember the years it happened.Am sure there was something last year even though I was out at a pub and had an allergic reaction involving me being violently ill then administering my epipen and insisting on consoling myself defiantly with the free bar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

All those names should be on the next year list!

1 minute ago, Deadpool said:

All those names should be on the next year list!

And the Queen should be re added to the list as well

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

I think it was private message.Cant remember the years it happened.Am sure there was something last year even though I was out at a pub and had an allergic reaction involving me being violently ill then administering my epipen and insisting on consoling myself defiantly with the free bar.

Free bars are always handy for situations like that!:D;)  Most years I am at aNew Years eve house party so may not have noticed if I was invited to a group chat!

If invited to a group chat tonight I will happily partake:)

2 minutes ago, Deathtreat23 said:

And the Queen should be re added to the list as well

She as well!!! as a bed blocker till... the end

• Like 1