Book

The D-A-CH-DeathList 2024 (page 18)

german-294464_960_720.png

Servus, Grüezi und Hallo!

Welcome everybody to a little German/Austrian/Swiss pendant to our very beloved bible „DeathList Top 50“ and to its equivalents of the French, the Canadian and the Australian/New Zeelandian DeathList, created by forum users.

We, the German forum fellas frleon, gcreptile, Prophet, TomTomTelekom, WEP and Book, created a list of 50 German, Austrian or Swiss people (from the so-called D-A-CH-countries*) of who we think that 2021 could be their final year.

*By the way, D-A-CH means

D = Deutschland (Germany)

A = Österreich (Austria)

CH = Schweiz (Switzerland)

„Dach“ is the German expression for „roof“.

First we collected several names which came to our mind, also of people who were born in the German speaking countries or later became a citizen of that countries.

Then everyone selected 50 names and put them in order 1 to 50. First place = 50 points, last place = 1 point.

At the end I added up all the points and the result was the German DeathList, now called The D-A-CH-DeathList.

I'm sure you'll find some surprise inclusions but also some “obvious misses!” :D

Every obit in the German language is accepted, because dead means dead :skill2:

Maybe this thread could also be used for German deaths generally, like the ones for the Danes or the Slavs or the famous Belgians.

So, to cut a long story short:

In the next post are the 50 German, Austrian and Swiss people of our very first D-A-CH-List 2021! :party:

Thank you for your attention. Enjoy!

• Like 12

The D-A-CH-DeathList 2021            (11/50)

01. Rainer Langhans, German writer, filmmaker and activist, *19.06.1940

02. Uta Ranke-Heinemann, German theologian, academic and author, *02.10.1927 - 25.03.2021 (93)

03. Armin Mueller-Stahl, German actor, *17.12.1930

04. Benedict XVI, German Pope Emeritus, *16.04.1927

05. Ingrid van Bergen, German actress, *15.06.1931

06. Gerd Müller, German football player, *03.11.1945 - 15.08.2021  (75)

07. Fritz Pleitgen, German television journalist and broadcast director, *21.03.1938

08. Jürgen Habermas, German philosopher and sociologist, *18.06.1929

09. Traute Lafrenz-Page, German physician, member of resistance group “White Rose”, *03.05.1919

10. Liselotte Pulver, Swiss actress, *11.10.1929

11. Nadja Tiller, Austrian actress, *16.03.1929

12. Tony Marshall, German Schlager and opera singer, *03.02.1938

13. Martin Walser, German writer, *24.03.1927

14. Freddy Quinn, Austrian Schlager singer, *27.09.1931

15. Klaus von Dohnányi, German politician (SPD), Mayor of Hamburg, *23.06.1928

16. Uwe Seeler, German football player, *05.11.1936

17. Horst Eckel, German football player, *08.02.1932 - 03.12.2021  (89)

18. Janosch, German children's book author and illustrator, *11.03.1931

19. Hans Modrow, German politician (PDS), last communist premier of the GDR, *27.01.1928

20. Rolf Eden, German businessman and night club owner, *06.02.1930

21. Ursula Haverbeck, German author, Holocaust denier, *09.11.1928

22. Gottfried Böhm, German architect and sculptor, *23.01.1920 - 09.06.2021  (101)

23. Henry Kissinger, German-American politician and diplomat, *27.05.1923

24. Philipp Mickenbecker, German YouTuber, *27.06.1997 - 09.06.2021   (23)

25. Michael Schumacher, German racing driver, *03.01.1969

26. Friedrich Nowottny, German television journalist and broadcast director, *16.05.1929

27. Kurt Biedenkopf, German politician (CDU), *28.01.1930 - 12.08.2021  (91)

28. Helmut Berger, Austrian actor and enfant terrible, *29.05.1944

29. Alfred Biolek, German TV Showmaster and producer, *10.07.1934 - 23.07.2021   (87)

30. Nino de Angelo, German Schlager singer, *18.12.1963

31. Egidius Braun, German president of the DFB, *27.02.1925

32. Täve Schur, German cyclist, *23.02.1931

33. Jürgen Schneider, German real estate entrepreneur and scammer, *30.04.1934

34. Rolf Schimpf, German actor, *14.11.1924

35. Friederike Mayröcker, Austrian poet, *20.12.1924 - 04.06.2021  (96)

36. Ralf Wolter, German actor, *26.11.1926

37. Margit Carstensen, German actress, *29.02.1940

38. Maria Riva, German actress and daughter of Marlene Dietrich, *13.12.1924

39. Heide Simonis, German politician (SPD), *04.07.1943

40. Arthur Cohn, Swiss film producer, *04.02.1927

41. Marianne zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, Austrian photographer and jet set expert, *09.12.1919

42. Margret Homeyer, German actress, *17.10.1927

43. Gerhard Richter, German artist, *09.02.1932

44. Gunther von Hagens, German anatomist, *10.01.1945

45. Franz Josef Wagner, German journalist and writer, *07.08.1943

46. Werner Herzog, German filmdirector and screenwriter, *05.09.1942

47. Herbert Köfer, German actor and TV presenter, *17.02.1921 - 24.07.2021  (100)

48. Arnulf Rainer, Austrian painter, *08.12.1929

49. Trude Unruh, German politician (several parties) and author, *07.03.1925 - 30.11.2021  (96)

50. Anne Buydens Douglas, German-American philanthropist, producer, widow of Kirk Douglas, *23.04.1919 - 29.04.2021 (102)

• Like 14

Wonderful addition to Deathlist! Danke vielmals! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Predictor said:

#JusticeforLiechtenstein :(

Indeed, good point ;).

The "D-A-CH" is a real term though (Dach, meaning "roof" in english). Whoever came up with it, also ignored Lichtenstein.

We could have had a "Dachli" instead, which is somewhat funny in a sort of Swiss-sounding german way.

• Like 1

There's also DACHSLI, the little badger, to include South Tyrol. But where does it stop? Next the Luxembourgers and the people from Eupen are going to complain, too, then some Silesians perhaps and eventually some Pennsylvanian folks and long before we've run out of meaningful backronyms.

• Like 1

I thought of badger.  (I only know the word from dachshund.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Indeed, good point ;).

The "D-A-CH" is a real term though (Dach, meaning "roof" in english). Whoever came up with it, also ignored Lichtenstein.

We could have had a "Dachli" instead, which is somewhat funny in a sort of Swiss-sounding german way.

As Liechtenstein's premier football team (FC Vaduz) compete in the Swiss Super League, I reckon you can let them in!

It's also a beautiful little country, having visted a couple of years ago.

Liechtenstein - why not.

Are there notable people from Liechtenstein who could have been considered for this DL?

5 minutes ago, Book said:

Liechtenstein - why not.

Are there notable people from Liechtenstein who could have been considered for this DL?

to be honest, I hardly know any celebrities from this small country. Maybe Jean-Claude Juncker, the foreign minister Jean Asselborn, Ranga Yogeshwar and Desiree Nosbusch

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, TomTomTelekom said:

to be honest, I hardly know any celebrities from this small country. Maybe Jean-Claude Juncker, the foreign minister Jean Asselborn, Ranga Yogeshwar and Desiree Nosbusch

Lietchenstein, not Luxembourg.

• Like 1

Just now, drol said:

Lietchenstein, not Luxembourg.

oh, sorry, you`re right. thats even more difficult. Spontaneously I dont know even one famous people from Liechtenstein :scratchhead:

• Like 1

The Prince is 75 now, can't think of any other Liechtensteinites. Probably there's someone famous in ski or ice-skating or so who you'd always have assumed to be Swiss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frleon said:

The Prince is 75 now, can't think of any other Liechtensteinites. Probably there's someone famous in ski or ice-skating or so who you'd always have assumed to be Swiss.

Rikky von Opel 

• Like 1

Never heard. That's got nothing to say, of course – but this does! Wiki: "… chose to represent Liechtenstein in racing despite having no connection to the country "

11 minutes ago, frleon said:

Never heard. That's got nothing to say, of course – but this does! Wiki: "… chose to represent Liechtenstein in racing despite having no connection to the country "

Exactly, what a legend. Could've chosen any country in the World and he chose Liechtenstein! 

Legend is that he is now a Buddhist monk in Thailand. 

• Like 1

Great idea but this thread belongs in Dead Pools.

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

Great idea but this thread belongs in Dead Pools.

Does it?

Where is the game play in it. I thought it was topic based.

• Like 5

On 01/01/2021 at 11:36, N. Fritz said:

Wonderful addition to Deathlist! Danke vielmals! 

As Jimmy Nails Character Oz In Auf Wiedersehen Pet Would Remark Thats Easy For You To Say 

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Does it?

Where is the game play in it. I thought it was topic based.

Doesn’t matter if it’s one person or multiple people. It’s a personal list which is subjective to that person’s predictions, rather than being a wide open topic, and therefore belongs in Dead Pools.

The Canadian and the Australian/New Zeelandian DeathLists are also posted in this section, that's why I posted this list here.

It could also be a place for German, Austrian and Swiss deaths in general like other country-related topics.

• Like 3

On 31/12/2020 at 05:40, Book said:

We, the German forum fellas frleon, gcreptile, Prophet, TomTomTelekom, WEP and Book, created a list of 50 German, Austrian or Swiss people

Maybe this thread could also be used for German deaths generally, like the ones for the Danes or the Slavs or the famous Belgians.

It's not a "personal" list, it's a combined effort. 

I would say it's more of a launchpad for discussion, with a view to the possible inclusion in future lists of names suggested in the thread by other members.

Gotta start somewhere.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Book said:

The Canadian and the Australian/New Zeelandian DeathLists are also posted in this section, that's why I posted this list here.

It could also be a place for German, Austrian and Swiss deaths in general like other country-related topics.

I’m not interested in getting into a knee deep argument about this. I’m not one of the arseholes on here who goes around trashing the threads of others. It’s a very good idea for a game, but it’s just that. A game. It doesn’t matter if it’s one or multiple persons who have compiled the names – they’re subjective and limited, not broad and inclusive of the entire subject. It’s a game and belongs in Dead Pools.

As for reporting on deaths, in almost all cases it’s more appropriate to post in threads relating to their profession/notability etc politics, actors, famous for being ill etc. For foreign personalities who are only really known in their respective countries, there’s the Foreign Personalities thread. I believe there’s also a German thread somewhere, and possibly a Swiss one so not buying this argument.

On 04/01/2021 at 18:10, Ulitzer95 said:

the Foreign Personalities thread

If all notable foreigners were posted just there I couldn't be arsed to sift through all that, anyway. That "other" German thread you mention probably is out there somewhere, I fail to find it though. So basically this here is the general German/A-CH thread now, it just randomly also happens to have a list of 50 mentioned in it that someone left lying around accidentally.

On 04/01/2021 at 18:10, Ulitzer95 said:

just a game … names are subjective and limited …

Have to dispute that, of course: Our list has been compiled in strict accordance with the up-to-datest science of deathlistry, as should be expected on this forum!

• Like 7