Book

The D-A-CH-DeathList 2024 (page 18)

Thrown around as an idea on here before but I don't think you guys picked him.

Director Wolfgang Petersen (wikidead at 81 from pancreatic cancer.

Huge name in Hollywood too. Twice nominated for an Oscar. Films include Das Boot, The NeverEnding Story, In the Line of Fire, Air Force One, The Perfect Storm, Troy and Poseidon.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 3

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Thrown around as an idea on here before but I don't think you guys picked him.

Director Wolfgang Petersen (wikidead at 81 from pancreatic cancer.

Huge name in Hollywood too. Twice nominated for an Oscar. Films include Das Boot, The NeverEnding Story, In the Line of Fire, Air Force One, The Perfect Storm, Troy and Poseidon.

Unfortunately not picked. To be honest, I didnt even know, he was that seriously ill. :(

• Like 3

Yes, that's a big one :(

• Like 2

Not being a huge cinema goer, I've only seen more than one film by the same director at the cinema thrice. One was Speilberg who I rate as highly as the rest of the world. One was Peter Jackson's interminably long Lord of the Rings films, during a failed date. The third was Wolfgang Peterson, with Air Force One and The Perfect Storm. RIP

11 hours ago, msc said:

Not being a huge cinema goer, I've only seen more than one film by the same director at the cinema thrice. One was Speilberg who I rate as highly as the rest of the world. One was Peter Jackson's interminably long Lord of the Rings films, during a failed date. The third was Wolfgang Peterson, with Air Force One and The Perfect Storm. RIP

I've never been a huge fan of his Hollywood blockbusters, but there's one movie that really hit me personally and emotionally when I watched it as a young guy in the mid-nineties: Die Konsequenz (The Consequence) (1977).

The original version of the film was censored due to its perceived incendiary content (homosexuality, two men planning to live together, a kiss between them) in the first television broadcast on ARD and regional affiliate Bayerischer Rundfunk refused to relay the transmission signal. The film was very well received by the critics and received several awards, but once again conveyed the image that gay life cannot be happy, that society is not ready for it and that outside pressure is difficult to bear. That in turn made me very sad and I am grateful to have grown up in different times.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WEP said:

German scientist and conservative politician...

Yes, I first thought of Angela Merkel when I wrote this....

This one hits me somewhat harder than the Queen, albeit she's probably utterly unknown outside of the German-speaking world: Isolde Schmitt-Menzel, creator of the mouse, has passed aged 92.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, frleon said:

This one hits me somewhat harder than the Queen, albeit she's probably utterly unknown outside of the German-speaking world: Isolde Schmitt-Menzel, creator of the mouse, has passed aged 92.

Maybe you should explain who the Maus (mouse) is... ;)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Book said:
58 minutes ago, frleon said:

Maybe you should explain who the Maus (mouse) is... ;)

Wasn't sure it was worth it. Anyway:

There's this TV series that's accompanied almost as many childhoods in Germany as the Queen did in the UK, die Sendung mit der Maus or simply "The Mouse". Said mouse is an orange cartoon mouse that's featured in little clips between other cartoons as well as short documentaries (how-it's-made, travelogues, meta-TV and lots of other stuff). Isolde Schmitt-Menzel was the original creator of the character, the late Friedrich Streich was the original animator. I might've exaggerated the impact of her decease a bit, but only because the mouse remains.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, frleon said:

I think that everyone in (West)Gernany who was born or/and had children within the last 50 years knows "Die Maus". So her "mother" enriched millions of childhoods in some way.

• Like 4

Swiss film director Alain Tanner, dead aged 92. 

This is one of those occurrences where the obit-writer predeceased the subject of the obit.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

He battled pancreatic cancer for 2 years.

Now I'm hoping for a proper obit as he is my joker in my German theme team...

• Like 2

Well, for once a reliable scoring.

I wish we would have given more points to Lars Vogt.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Well, for once a reliable scoring.

I wish we would have given more points to Lars Vogt.

Didn't think it was that serious tbh.

• Like 3

A quite young death: Nicolas Schildelholz, Swiss football player, has died aged 34https://www.t-online.de/sport/fussball/international/id_100055292/nicolas-schindelholz-schweizer-fussballer-mit-34-jahren-an-krebs-gestorben.html

He was on our short list but not long enough, I guess.

And a quite old death as well: Anne Cernohorsky, oldest German resident has died aged 113https://www.mdr.de/nachrichten/sachsen/bautzen/bautzen-hoyerswerda-kamenz/aelteste-deutsche-saechsin-verstorben-100.html

Her predecessor was on the short list as well, or?

• Like 5

Christian Hummer, keyboarder of Austrian Indie pop band "Wanda", has died "after a long serious illness".

https://www.spiegel.de/kultur/wanda-keyborder-christian-hummer-ist-tot-a-56f5e11f-c075-47e1-86c4-edfeae655e9f

How can a German-language musician born in 1990 die after a serious illness without being mentioned here? 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, WEP said:

Christian Hummer, keyboarder of Austrian Indie pop band "Wanda", has died "after a long serious illness".

https://www.spiegel.de/kultur/wanda-keyborder-christian-hummer-ist-tot-a-56f5e11f-c075-47e1-86c4-edfeae655e9f

How can a German-language musician born in 1990 die after a serious illness without being mentioned here? 

I know the band and some of their songs, but have never heard anything private from the members or read any headlines. The disease was probably completely unknown.

• Like 2

One of the most powerful women of Bavaria, Barbara Stamm, has died aged 77:

https://www.br.de/nachrichten/bayern/csu-politikerin-barbara-stamm-gestorben,TJ6O2Ti

Stamm was child educator by profession, when she was elected to the Würzburg city council for the Bavarian Conservative party CSU in the 1970s. 

She stood also for election as Lord Mayor of Würzburg in 1990, but did not win.

Four years later, she was appointed Minister of Social Affairs and Health in Bavaria, she resigned in 2001 following the BSE-crisis.

Her last significant post in politics was as president of the state parliament from 2008 to 2018. She had to give it up after she lost her seat in parliament following the 2018 election.

Shortly before that, Stamm served as acting Minister-president together with Ilse Aigner for two days from May 14th to 16th 2018, after the resignation of Horst Seehofer and before the election of Markus Söder.

• Like 4