Charles De Gaulle

Thoughts and Opinions on the 2021 Deathlist

a year ago, I thoroughly enjoyed the list: I was sure it would be record breaking.

this year I don't understand many choices, both among the new and excluded names.

the committee will surely know more than me, but if I can afford I am quite disappointed with this list, then maybe it will be a record.

Shane McGowan, Dick Cheney, older names (Greenspan / Boothroy / LePen / Bacharach) much fitter than their peers (Gorbacev, King, Phyllida Law).

sensational absences: Tom Smith, Carlos Menem (it would have been a sure hit), Bernard Tapie, Tom Parker, and more.

i hope i am wrong, but i am very disappointed.

• Like 6

The five dropped at a glance

Desmond Tutu

Lester Piggott

Tom Smith

General Pervez Musharraf

David Attenborough

It appears that little time or thought was spent on this list.  A number of people chosen just because they are in their 90s and with no other justification.

Some of them may die, but it will be more down to luck than judgement.

• Like 8

Yeah, Gorba being left out is a big, big mistake. 

People in this forum are always acting like it's the worst list of all time for the first few hours after it's uploaded. I still think it's at least better than the 2018 list. Maybe just slightly worse than the 2019 one.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Prophet said:

People in this forum are always acting like it's the worst list of all time for the first few hours after it's uploaded. I still think it's at least better than the 2018 list. Maybe just slightly worse than the 2019 one.

Simply not true. Last year was broadly welcomed and highly successful. So this year they go back to the old fashioned old biddy pin the donkey?

• Like 1

tbh they always relax a bit after a huge year.

Rolf Harris yet again misses out on his DL debut, looks like he may survive another year then. 

Looks like we're in for another big total, I think we can manage around 18 this time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ebless said:

Rolf Harris yet again misses out on his DL debut, looks like he may survive another year then. 

Looks like we're in for another big total, I think we can manage around 18 this time. 

I’ve ran out of reactions for the day but I am laughing. 18? Good one.

4 minutes ago, msc said:

tbh they always relax a bit after a huge year.

Which is stupid. Why not try and outdo it again. 

One or two nailers being missing fine, a dozen? What? 

Are they a goner in 2021?

Prince Philip: No, becoming a centenarian in June, getting frailer each year but with his good fortune, seeing 2022 is likely no mighty challenge for him.

Betty White: No, one of the toughest nuts to crack, very determined to become a centenarian, not in any immediate danger. Hilarious she is at a higher position than Rush Limbaugh and Bob Dole. 

Dick Van Dyke: No, now might have been a reasonable time for his debut but he is still an incredibly fit and active DL blocker. No reason why he shouldn’t make 100, like Betty White and it’s hilarious he’s in no.3 already.

Bob Dole: Yes, ancient, frail and has gone through numerous hospitalisations in recent years. He’ll probably go some time close to his 98th birthday.

Emperor Akihito: No, still under 90, less stress after having resigned, I feel he’s got a quite a few years left and he’s positioned too high. 

Loretta Lynn: No, still relatively chipper and healthy in a Thanksgiving video last year, wouldn’t bank on her dying anytime soon. 

George Schultz: Yes, over 100 years old and supposedly frail, a wise pick that I thought would not pass the famousness test.

Rush Limbaugh: Yes, terminally ill with lung cancer, he didn’t expect to be alive last month, I’ll be surprised if he sees February 2021. My guess for the 1st hit.

Murray Walker: No, a healthy oldie this one is, who has been holding on nicely. I have a feeling he’ll see 2022 and maybe even 2023.

Angela Lansbury: No, a tough blocker this one is, like Dick Van Dyke. She could go on for years, her health is not known to be poor.

Bob Barker: Yes, very easy for a 97 year old to suddenly go down hill, hanging on by the skin of his teeth following his many hospitalisations for falls and back pain.

Alan Greenspan: No, understandable to have him on again but one of the healthiest 94 year old men out there.

Henry Kissinger: Yes, obese, 97 years old and he looked really frail towards the end of 2020.

June Brown: No, ancient but spritely and a hard bird to kill. I have a feeling she’ll go sometime in 2022. 

Jimmy Carter: No, still keeping relatively active for a 96 year old and just a feeling his year is 2022.

Leslie Phillips: Yes, this is his year, I’m almost sure of it. He’s nearly 97, has suffered numerous health setbacks and has gone worryingly quiet in recent months.

Jacques Delors: Yes, 95 years old is a dangerous age for any man and Delors has been quiet lately. 

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei: No, he’s not super old, only 81 and Iran denied rumours of his failing health. 

David Crosby: No, under 80 and not in a critical condition.

Prunella Scales: No. Her alzheimer’s keeps progressing but it seems to be a mild case and she has been keeping active which must help. One for early 2022, I’m guessing.

Abdelaziz Bouteflika: No, was said to be in a vegetative state earlier this year but his body has supposedly adjusted for now and he’s not super old, only 83. 

Tony Bennett: No, I understand why he’s kept on but he’s still exercising his vocal talents, despite turning 95 in August.

Rosalynn Carter: No, too premature a pick, we should wait for Jimmy to tumble and select Rosalynn the following year.

Dick Cheney: No, Tom Smith should have been carried over instead from the 2020 DL. This one is a wasted pick who may still have another 5 to 10 years. 

Queen Elizabeth II: No, I understand she is too big to miss and getting on in years but the 2021 DL really could have taken the risk of missing her. She’s not going anywhere in 2021. 

Harry Belafonte: Yes, I feel his death won’t be long after his buddy Sidney Poitier’s death. I’m guessing May 2021 will kill off Belafonte.

Bob Newhart: No, doesn’t look quite the ticket nowadays but he is still well enough to show his comic talents in interviews and has no known health issues.

Jimmy Greaves: No, he still has to live to enjoy his MBE award. A solid pick, given his stroke situation but I think he’ll just make 2022.

Barbara Walters: Yes, her dementia has been declining and declining and is now advanced. I’m surprised she has made it this far.

Pope Benedict: Yes, a good fighter this one is, doesn’t look bad in his most recent photos but I feel he’ll still be a 2021 DL hit, maybe in late December.

Imelda Marcos: No, well looked after and in no immediate health danger.

Yoko Ono: No, rather ill but has already evaded quite a few health crises, I think she may go at that deadly age of 89.

Walter Mondale: No, we cannot have too many successes this year. Almost every other candidate seems to be in equal or worse danger than this relatively healthy 93 year old.

Linda Nolan: Yes, liver cancer has her days numbered. Probably one of the first hits, surprised her list position isn’t higher.

Joanne Woodward: Yes, her Alzheimer’s is reportedly at its most advanced stage. She can no longer even remember Paul Newman!

Mel Brooks: No, too healthy and full of life to be considered yet. A wasted pick.

Willie Nelson: Yes, a late 2021 Christmas present I’m guessing.

Betty Boothroyd: No, still seemingly in decent health. The 2021 DL really could have done without this one. 

Jean-Marie Le Pen: No, not in particularly poor health, should see 2022. 

Sidney Poitier: Yes, soon to be 94, guessing he’ll be dead by the end of April 2021. 

Raul Castro: No, still working and has no known health issues. Carlos Menem would have been a much better pick.

Burt Bacharach: No, still relatively active and in fine health, one of the worst 2021 DL picks.

Leon Spinks: No, he seems to have cheated the grim reaper for now. He may still have a couple of years left in him.

Frank Williams: No, still a smart idea to get him on the 2021 DL after his mysterious health scare, but it would have been even smarter to get Larry King on instead.

Stanley Baxter: No, this pick is just based on age, no known health issues and another lazy pick. Tom Parker or James Whale would have been much better instead.

Bernard Cribbins: No, see Stanley Baxter above.

Vanessa Redgrave: Yes, frail, has been in poor health for years, concerning emphysema and a heart attack, plus I just see 84 as her age of death. The Committee did well to get her on. 

Shane MacGowan: No, possibly the worst pick of the fifty, why wasn’t Tom Smith carried over instead?

Shannen Doherty: Yes, stage 4 breast cancer makes her a fine candidate.

Tom Moore: Yes, one of the only candidates currently north of 100 and frail in recent photos.

• Like 6

90 year-old bingo it is then for the DL this year. Whoever the "committee" are, are very out of touch but may have a touch of dementia themselves! Time to inject some new, in-tune with the world people to the "committee" if we want the Tom Parkers, James Whales and Sarah Hardings to be included in future years.

To think I was convinced this could be one of the youngest average age lists we've had in a while... considering how many below 80 year-old low hanging fruit choices there was this year.

Here is me scrolling through the list at 00:02:

1021466520.png 

• Haha 2

I'm surprised no professional wrestling-related celebrities didn't make the 2021 DL. Jake "the Snake" Roberts, Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan and Vince McMahon could have perfectly been picked.

• Like 2

Most years, I've wondered about it skewing disproportionately to older choices, rather than those suffering from serious illnesses made public. Given 2020 was a record-breaking year and most deaths were age-related, I'm less inclined to question the wisdom of the trend.

• Like 1

Alright, my official thoughts on this current list:

Prince Philip: Well, he has to go eventually, but for some reason he still lives despite being frail.

Betty White: Definitely a contender to see 100, but then again, didn't people say the same about Nicholas Parsons and Carl Reiner? 

Dick van Dyke: Same as above, and he did seem pretty active, although have we really seen much of him lately? He does seem a bit quieter than usual, but could be just due to the pandemic...

Bob Dole: Bob Dole somehow still lives despite being so frail for so long. Somehow

Emperor Akihito: I think this is a pretty bad pick from the committee and don't understand why they keep bringing him back. Though I said similar things with Hosni Mubarak, and I clearly did a good job there...

Loretta Lynn: She seems a bit more stable, although her death would not shock me in the least. 

George Shultz: One of new centenarian debuts. In general they seem to be good at picking new centenarians that become hits, and this is no exception

Rush Limbaugh: Terminally ill with lung cancer, definitely among the most likely hits. Although somehow James Whale was not picked.

Murray Walker: One of those committee names who will die when no one is expecting it to happen. Definitely can see why he's back again

Angela Lansbury: Another one of those old A listers who people think will seem 100. She still is quite active, but again, definitely should stay on the list. 

Bob Barker: When was the last time we had actual news from him? He does seem awfully quiet after a multitude of health issues...

Alan Greenspan: This is a boring, dull pick. Probably will live as long as Kissinger does too given how some of the worst people live longer than expected

Henry Kissinger: Speaking of Kissinger, how the fuck is he still alive? Surely he'd be dead by now

June Brown: I don't know, still seems somewhat active. I think she might be among the weaker picks

Jimmy Carter: Saw something recently that it seems like he's bed bound at this point. IMO it's a matter of when not if this year

Leslie Phillips: Another one in the how tf he's still alive department. He might even outlast Jake "The Snake" Roberts at this point given the recent news on the latter

Jacques Delors: He recently lost his wife, and I believe the last update of him indicated he was frail. Definitely could see a hit here

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei: The Pervez Musharraf of 2021? The weird punt that a committee takes, no idea if this will work or not

David Crosby: His heart is a ticking time bomb. I think he's a much better pick than many people believe

Prunella Scales: She still seems to be doing well despite her dementia? I guess a quick downturn wouldn't shock, but I just don't see it right now

Abdelaziz Bouteflika: Another Musharraf type pick although I think he's better than Musharraf himself. Still, who knows if he'll actually die

Tony Bennett: Now here is someone who is still pretty active. I think he's on till he drops at this point, but I don't think this is his year

Rosalyn Carter: When Carter goes, I think Rosalyn will quickly follow him. Good call here imo

Dick Cheney: He does have a heart problem and it is around the time where it usually expects to fail. Just given he has access to the best health care out there I think he could be an outlier, although maybe I'm just skeptical of Cheney actually dying

Queen Elizabeth: I would not be shocked if she follows Prince Philip soon after his demise. She does seem to be slowing down a bit, though it might not quite be her year yet. Definitely should be on the list though

Harry Belafonte: Last we heard of him he seemed super frail. Definitely someone who could become a hit

Bob Newhart: Most recent video in November has him looking like shit. Definitely a good call he makes his debut on the list

Jimmy Greaves: I thought Greaves was a goner last year, and yet he lives another year. The MBE does feel a bit like a hurrah for Greaves before he goes

Barbara Walters: Most of her news of her health seem to come from the Esquire. Now they are right once in a blue moon, but so far doesn't seem to be bearing fruit here

Pope Benedict: Yes, another one needed to return to the list. He did seem more frail last year, and iirc couldn't come to his brother's funeral

Imelda Marcos: Tbh, I don't think she's that great of a pick. One of those names who'll make it to her mid 90s before suddenly dropping dead

Yoko Ono: She seems to have around the clock care nowadays. A great pick here

Walter Mondale: One of those folk we don't get much news from, and probably won't know much before his death

Linda Nolan: Breast cancer recurrence AND chemo not working on her cancer? IMO she seems to be far more dire straits than she was in 2018

Joanne Woodward: Somehow made it to another year. Surely her time is soon, right?

Mel Brooks: One of those active oldies. Okay, not really great, but definitely understandable why he's back

Willie Nelson: I think people are underestimating him as a pick. He does seem more stable at the moment but regardless probably doesn't have much longer to go

Beth Boothroyd: She seems far too healthy at the moment. One of the least likely to score imo

Jean Marie le Pen: Made it to another year, he'll probably live for a while because he's evil, but in the off chance he does go we won't be missing him

Sidney Poitier: Been awfully silent for a while. Definitely a returnee that needed to happen

Raul Castro: Okay, he will be the same age as Fidel was when he died. Definitely could be a sleeper pick

Burt Bacharach: Last we heard of him he seem to be frail? Definitely a bit of a classy pick regardless

Leon Spinks: Everything seems to building up against him now. He also looked super frail, lost a lot of weight, and seem to have so many ailments now. He outlived a lot but time seems to be catching up to him now

Frank Williams: Octopus of Odstock hinted he's in a worse state than indicated. I trust him on this

Stanley Baxter: Another candidate for the potential oldie hit after no news for so long. Who knows when he will die

Bernard Cribbins: I hear that the brits love him here, so here is hoping that he lives for a long time yet

Vanessa Redgrave: Was there any news on her recently that made her a better pick? She doesn't seem to be that great imo, although it could be a case of wtf do I know

Shane MacGowan: If he's back on for the third time in a row, it now seems like they're eyeing MacGowan for a future bedblocker. One day his demons will catch up to him, but who knows when it will happen

Shannen Doherty: I don't know if she's really that great of a pick, although it could be one I'm underestimating I'll admit

Captain Tom Moore: Yes, he seems to be a national treasure in the UK. And seems to be slowly deteriorating. That, and the deathlist oldest debutant curse exists so that makes his fate even more likely

Overall, I think folk are underestimating the list somewhat. Not saying it will break 20 hits from last year, but looking at pick by pick shows there is a lot of potential scorers on the list. It will do pretty good

• Like 4

I am glad they are doing their part to help Walter Mondale become a Centenarian:hatsoff:

A few surprising misses, I think it will do alright though

Uninspiring list.  I said 11 hits but now I think a few less.  I mean seriously, post 10 hits out of that list.  I can’t.

About a quarter of the list seems to be US politicos from the 1970s - Mr and Mrs Carter, Kissinger, Shultz, Mondale, Dole, Cheney etc. It appears very heavy in that department. A bit disappointed there aren't many UK actors to balance it out. 

Is this the most American list ever? By my reckoning 27 of the list are US residents (I've included Ono and Lansbury in that). Is this a nod to Trump's appalling handling of the Covid pandemic? 

This is I think a mainstream list. The three that stand out for me as being a bit too early are QE II. The third Betty on the list (Baroness Boothroyd) and national treasure Bernard Cribbins but maybe he is this year's Nicholas Parsons

My thoughts with no explanations I'm afraid: 

Prince Philip: No 

Betty White: No 

Dick van Dyke: Yes 

Bob Dole: Yes 

Emperor Akihito: No 

Loretta Lynn: No 

George Shultz: Yes 

Rush Limbaugh: Yes 

Murray Walker: Yes 

Angela Lansbury: No 

Bob Barker: Yes 

Alan Greenspan: No 

Henry Kissinger: No 

June Brown: No 

Jimmy Carter: Yes 

Leslie Phillips: Yes 

Jacques Delors: No 

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei: No 

David Crosby: No 

Prunella Scales: Yes 

Abdelaziz Bouteflika: No 

Tony Bennett: No 

Rosalyn Carter: No 

Dick Cheney: No 

Queen Elizabeth: No 

Harry Belafonte: Yes 

Bob Newhart: Yes 

Jimmy Greaves: No 

Barbara Walters: No 

Pope Benedict: Yes 

Imelda Marcos: No 

Yoko Ono: No 

Walter Mondale: No 

Linda Nolan: Yes 

Joanne Woodward: Yes 

Mel Brooks: No 

Willie Nelson: No 

Betty Boothroyd: No 

Jean Marie le Pen: No 

Sidney Poitier: No 

Raul Castro: No 

Burt Bacharach: No 

Leon Spinks: Yes 

Frank Williams: Yes

Stanley Baxter: No 

Bernard Cribbins: Yes 

Vanessa Redgrave: No 

Shane MacGowan: No 

Shannen Doherty: No 

Captain Tom Moore: Yes

Which makes 18/50 

12-13 hits max. Poor list. Menem unexplicably left off, as Larry King, Gorbachev, Desmond Tutu and Tom Smith. Also hoped for Dilip Kumar or Jiang Zemin to be on it. I like George Shultz as a new entry, but that's pretty much it. Most picks are over-90-years old with no particular issues. After a great year here comes a mediocre one (shall I eat back those words? I don't think...)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Moaning Minnie said:

Simply not true. Last year was broadly welcomed and highly successful. So this year they go back to the old fashioned old biddy pin the donkey?

The 2020 list got universal acclaim here. And it was well deserved. This was panned and we shall see if the forum is right again.