Charles De Gaulle

Thoughts and Opinions on the 2021 Deathlist

For gods sakes let Deathers back, surely the votes would be in favour? 

Though I admit it's amusing to go 'is this a Deathers sock?' hunting, despite it being obvious within 1.5 posts.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Though I admit it's amusing to go 'is this a Deathers sock?' hunting, despite it being obvious within 1.5 posts.

May as well let him back.

The amount of fucking idiots we have here now and they haven't been banned, just look at Coffin Lodger.

I'd rather the mods just ban him for two months every so often rather than fucking around doing it this way.

Makes life easier for them too.

• Like 3

Could. Not. Agree. More.

Life is too short for boredom, you'd think this place above all would get that.

Deathers is entertaining. Iain and Old Crem (as examples) are not.

Horses for courses, I can ignore the latter, but it's harder to make up for the laughs the former gave me over the years (even when he was so wrong it was funny, it was still funny) even the temp bans were bloody amusing.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Could. Not. Agree. More.

Horses for courses, I can ignore the latter, but it's harder to make up for the laughs the former gave me over the years (even when he was so wrong it was funny, it was still funny) even the temp bans were bloody amusing.....

What they said.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, En Passant said:

32 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

May as well let him back.

The amount of fucking idiots we have here now and they haven't been banned, just look at Coffin Lodger.

I'd rather the mods just ban him for two months every so often rather than fucking around doing it this way.

Makes life easier for them too.

26 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Could. Not. Agree. More.

I’m out of reactions but thumbs up for these.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I’m out of reactions but thumbs up for these.

Yeah, what is it with that? That's a ludicrous limitation. "No, you've appreciated enough for one day, stop now, too many smiles".

What the actual fuck?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Yeah, what is it with that? That's a ludicrous limitation. "No, you've appreciated enough for one day, stop now, too many smiles".

What the actual fuck?

And yet, weirdly, it let me like that one??

• Like 1

Just now, The Quim Reaper said:

And yet, weirdly, it let me like that one??

That's because I just increased the daily reaction limit to 50. Might remove the limit entirely as I'm not sure if there's any technical reason for there to be one?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

That's because I just increased the daily reaction limit to 50. Might remove the limit entirely as I'm not sure if there's any technical reason for there to be one?

I can't see a social reason for one, damn straight, as above.

Technical? I leave it to others, but in the age of 500mb/s (and more) downloads it would seem archaic.

Bless you for your attention to raising the limit on smiles as best you can though.

19 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

There's a glitch with it because it started telling me I had exceeded the daily limit at about fourteen minutes past midnight.  It keeps doing this erratically.

Maybe best to remove the limit altogether and see if it continues.

• Haha 1

Have lifted the limit entirely. If it causes any forum issues I'll return the cap to 50, but suspect En Passant is likely right that the reactions are very very small data in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 5

Regarding the descriptions on the DL, should Shannen Doherty's say 90210 Actress instead of Actor? I also think adding "US Politician" to all the American politician descriptions would look better, or a slightly more insightful term on the key part they played in their career. Describing them as just a "politician" is too broad and looks lazy/bland.

I just thought distinguishing the nationality of them would look better, considering how politician-heavy the list is this year.

Anyways, not important. Just me being a picky sod.

19 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

Regarding the descriptions on the DL, should Shannen Doherty's say 90210 Actress instead of Actor?

It's frowned upon in these woke times to indicate a person's sex, you know!  They are all "actors" now.

Personally I think it's ridiculous, as acting is one of the few occupations where it almost always does matter.  I mean, you generally want a female to play a female character, and a male to play a male character.  So throwing away the distinction doesn't seem useful to me.

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

It's frowned upon in these woke times to indicate a person's sex, you know!  They are all "actors" now.

Personally I think it's ridiculous, as acting is one of the few occupations where it almost always does matter.  I mean, you generally want a female to play a female character, and a male to play a male character.  So throwing away the distinction doesn't seem useful to me.

I did think I could be harpooned by the woke police for suggesting it, but all the other female "actors" are described as actresses on the list and I'm a big fan of continuity!

• Like 1

So I just realised I forgot Doddie Weir.

But.... now I'm looking at 2021 DL.  WHERE THE HELL IS DODDIE WEIR?

The more I look at the list the more I can see several routes to 20 or more 'hits' this year. 

I understand why some posters find the list underwhelming or below expectations  but upon reflection  I think its fairly  decent. 

A few omissions like Julie Goodyear, Clarissa Eden and James Whale surprised me and struck me as mistakes and the removal of Tom Smith.  But I feel a lot of the new inclusions or returnees are good and decent choices that stand a good chance of being  proved correct. Once peoples understandable disappointment at their expected picks or keeps  being met a  passes after a few days ,I think many may or should look at the list a bit more optimistically. 

Raul Castro,  Frank Williams, Pope Benedict, Barbara Walters, Loretta Lynn, Bob Newhart , Jimmy Greaves , Yoko Ono,  Shannen Doherty etc all good choices. 

So I'm not as pessimistic overall as others. 

9 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

The more I look at the list the more I can see several routes to 20 or more 'hits' this year. 

I understand why some posters find the list underwhelming or below expectations  but upon reflection  I think its fairly  decent. 

A few omissions like Julie Goodyear, Clarissa Eden and James Whale surprised me and struck me as mistakes and the removal of Tom Smith.  But I feel a lot of the new inclusions or returnees are good and decent choices that stand a good chance of being  proved correct. Once peoples understandable disappointment at their expected picks or keeps  being met a  passes after a few days ,I think many may or should look at the list a bit more optimistically. 

Raul Castro,  Frank Williams, Pope Benedict, Barbara Walters, Loretta Lynn, Bob Newhart , Jimmy Greaves , Yoko Ono,  Shannen Doherty etc all good choices. 

So I'm not as pessimistic overall as others. 

Mind you, I think you'll find my annual tealeaves (page 5) quite optimistic despite all the missed options.

• Thanks 1

Just now, msc said:

Mind you, I think you'll find my annual tealeaves (page 5) quite optimistic despite all the missed options.

I will now have a read!:D

Why does the Daily Star have an article about this site? Do they do that every year?

18 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Why does the Daily Star have an article about this site? Do they do that every year?

I don't know about every year, but the Express I remember, certainly have (they're both from the same stable) - they like to demonstrate faux-outrage, while peddling celebrity tripe and gossip themselves.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

So I just realised I forgot Doddie Weir.

But.... now I'm looking at 2021 DL.  WHERE THE HELL IS DODDIE WEIR?

He's in reasonably good condition compared to Rob Burrow despite being diagnosed several years before him.

18 minutes ago, time said:

I don't know about every year, but the Express I remember, certainly have (they're both from the same stable) - they like to demonstrate faux-outrage, while peddling celebrity tripe and gossip themselves.

The faux synthetic outrage in that star article has me wetting my underwear whilst my sides are shaking!:P:D;)

25 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

So they do. Thanks Lottie.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/sick-deathlist-predicts-celebs-die-23186192

edit: woopsies, i see it's already been mentioned in curricular. 

One day we'll all be suddenly arrested  and tried before Scotland Yard in a massive trial not seen since Nuremberg.