Charles De Gaulle

Thoughts and Opinions on the 2021 Deathlist

Maybe DL should issue a press release each December summarising what the site does, and what are the outrage-related talking points, so the journalists can just copy and paste it for their articles. I mean I think they could find more to be outraged about than the fact that someone on the internet described Prince Philip as a casual racist, or that some of the selected celebs are "beloved family entertainers" (is Rolf Harris on this year's list?).

Not a bad list, though I admit I couldn't come up with too many names this year.  

Here is my personal DL for 2021...

Larry King

Rush Limbaugh

David Crosby

Shannen Doherty

Bob Dole

Jimmy Carter

Bob Barker

Loretta Lynn

Julie Strain 

Billy Connolly 

Harry Reid

Teri Garr (Has had a number of health issues lately)

Dick Cheney

Ozzy Osbourne

Robert Wagner (kinda random choice) 

Betty White (pains me to put her name on this list, but she's 99 years old) 

Bill Cosby (joker) (from what I heard, he is VERY motivated to stay alive due to his case being appealed, and wants to fight to clear his name, so he has every reason to why to live b/c he wants to save his legacy and possibly not die in prison, but hell, he's 83 years old and in frail health, AND in prison while the pandemic is going on) 

• Like 2

Old, isn't it? Other than a few 'younger' (and I use that loosely) types with cancer - Nolan, Doherty - they're all ancient

I still think David Crosby will outlive the rest of CSNY, the Byrds and everyone associated with Laurel Canyon just to be awkward and for the hell of it. And Shane MacGowan, he'll be like Lemmy - it'll be a non lifestyle-related disease that gets him. 

James Whale is a serious omission.

What constitutes a good deathlist? That a lot of the people on it die this year? There could be a nuclear war and all 50 could be killed the same day. I doubt there'd be much traffic on this forum. (Although the internet was created to have a communications system that could still work after a nuclear war...)

7 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

What constitutes a good deathlist? That a lot of the people on it die this year? There could be a nuclear war and all 50 could be killed the same day. I doubt there'd be much traffic on this forum. (Although the internet was created to have a communications system that could still work after a nuclear war...)

Would have to be a pretty big nuclear exchange for the entire list to be killed in one day although it is theoretically possible. This list includes residents in USA, UK, Japan, Iran, Algeria, Cuba, Vatican City and France for starters. I'd say it would be fairly unlikely that Algeria and the Vatican would get nuked. 

My review of the list.

George Shultz's name is spelled wrong on the DeathList it is spelled Shultz not Schultz. Nice pick though.

Sir Frank Williams and Rush Limbaugh are excellent picks.

Sir Tom Moore, Sidney Poitier, Barbara Walters, Walter Mondale, Yoko Ono and Rosalynn Carter are also good picks in my opinion.

Good that Desmond Tutu has been dropped, he will not be dying anytime soon. 

I feel like more famous names like Ozzy Osbourne, Larry King and Gerd Muller should have been put on the list instead of some people nobody has heard of (Who the hell are Betty Boothroyd and Stanley Baxter) but besides that I would say the list is good.

On 01/01/2021 at 08:55, Deathrace said:

About a quarter of the list seems to be US politicos from the 1970s - Mr and Mrs Carter, Kissinger, Shultz, Mondale, Dole, Cheney etc. It appears very heavy in that department. A bit disappointed there aren't many UK actors to balance it out. 

Ah yes, here it is. I agree, there is a slight unbalance towards the US "political industrial" complex. Greenspan and Limbaugh also belong in it. 

On 03/01/2021 at 19:40, Deathrace said:

Would have to be a pretty big nuclear exchange for the entire list to be killed in one day although it is theoretically possible. This list includes residents in USA, UK, Japan, Iran, Algeria, Cuba, Vatican City and France for starters. I'd say it would be fairly unlikely that Algeria and the Vatican would get nuked. 

Rome would. And that's where old Popey lives, of course.

Looks like Trump and / or Biden will be assasinated if this trouble continues in America

48 minutes ago, RIP Wee Jum said:

Looks like Trump and / or Biden will be assasinated if this trouble continues in America

Don’t think So. We’re not in the 1860’s, they’re probably the most protected men in the world rn

2 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Don’t think So. We’re not in the 1860’s, they’re probably the most protected men in the world rn

Idiots just broke into a federal building with a lot of police presence.  As far as I am aware they were in the same room as Mike Pence.  Even yesterday you would of said thats never going to happen.  Getting near a heavily guarded human is possible for an intellegent person (OK that rules out 95% of Trump supporters)

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, RIP Wee Jum said:

Idiots just broke into a federal building with a lot of police presence.  As far as I am aware they were in the same room as Mike Pence.  Even yesterday you would of said thats never going to happen.  Getting near a heavily guarded human is possible for an intellegent person (OK that rules out 95% of Trump supporters)

Bit different when there’s thousands of people trying to storm an outnumbered security team... 

This will have spooked enough high profile names in the U.S. to up their security though. 

Assassinations often happen when the guard is let down, not when it’s raised.

46 minutes ago, RIP Wee Jum said:

Idiots just broke into a federal building with a lot of police presence. 

It was police who opened the gates and let them in.

What happens if Biden dies in less then 4 years? They don't exactly have any rules about too old to run for office or if the person is likely to do a term (which sounds like a huge problem for him, who is hardly Carter or Bush senior)

30 minutes ago, Miranda lass said:

What happens if Biden dies in less then 4 years?

The Vice President takes over. 

• Like 2

Throw in a quiz question just for fun.

Who is the only person who has been both vice president and president without being elected to either office by the Electoral College?

• Like 1

Gerald Ford. (Succeeded both Spiro Agnew as vice president and Richard Nixon as president when they respectively resigned).

• Like 4

No death yet and January's almost over. Do you think the list's broken somehow?

15 minutes ago, frleon said:

What the fuck are you on about? It’s January 10th. We’re not even halfway through the month yet. Chill

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

What the fuck are you on about? It’s January 10th. We’re not even halfway through the month yet. Chill

You seem to be confused. This year isn't a leap year so January is only 10 days long this year as with every other month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, frleon said:

I had my first hit on January 21st last year (Terry Jones). At the end of the year my shadow-list reached 22 hits.  So far...everything is okay at the moment.

Btw you cant set a new record every year, that becomes impossible at some point and the benchmark from last year (20 hits) is already very high. so I think 15 hits should be realistic and reachable for this year.

• Like 3

Agree on not having to set a new highscore every year. I'd like to look out for other unusual data though. Have there ever been two deaths in a single day, for instance?

On 11/01/2021 at 10:07, frleon said:

Agree on not having to set a new highscore every year. I'd like to look out for other unusual data though. Have there ever been two deaths in a single day, for instance?

Yes, I can remember two hits in a single day. Robin Gibb (Bee Gees) and the Lockerbie-Bomber Al-Megrahi (both on the list in 2012) died on the same day.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, frleon said:

Yes, relive the madness of 26th September 2017 here:

Read page 5 here for Liz Dawn dying, and then go to the bottom of Page 3 here for the reaction to 2 DL hits announced in the same hour: