Charles De Gaulle

Thoughts and Opinions on the 2021 Deathlist

45 minutes ago, Grim Peter said:

Just a reminder that there may well be erroneous reports of the deaths of various celebrities in  the coming hours , but you should probably ignore them, especially if they are reported by someone called April Olof...:mellow:

And if you're reading this April, it's not funny. I spent ages googling to find out if Prince Andrew really had been killed in a freak paragliding accident... :angry2:

Or better yet, Cecilia Bartholemew.

50 minutes ago, Grim Peter said:

Just a reminder that there may well be erroneous reports of the deaths of various celebrities in  the coming hours , but you should probably ignore them, especially if they are reported by someone called April Olof...:mellow:

And if you're reading this April, it's not funny. I spent ages googling to find out if Prince Andrew really had been killed in a freak paragliding accident... :angry2:

You're now free to use the forum fully again, Iain.

This message delivered by April Olof ;)

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Grim Peter said:

Please refrain from using my hometown as the location of your aliases in the future,  I don't like the thought of you being that close to me.

Two was a too small number of centenarians in my opinion, as 2020 had three and 2019 four.

For the 2022 deathlist I'd like to have, if they're still alive: Norman Lloyd, James Lovelock and Prince Philip. Boris Pahor would be a great one too, however I'd say he isn't as known as the four others I've listed.

For this year, I'd say Ali Khamenei, Emperor Akihito and maybe Dick Van Dyke aren't still near their end. I'm okay with Elizabeth II on the list as if she dies it would be a very big miss for the list.

Khamenei and Akihito I'd replace in 2022 with Martti Ahtisaari and F.W. De Klerk (however I don't blame anyone for not picking De Klerk as his cancer was only diagnosed this year. Ahtisaari has a history of health issues due to being overweight, both parents died in their 60s and hasn't been seen in public since last summer plus he's 83 and covid-weakened.)

DVD is 96 but I'd still pick either actor Eva Marie Saint or Kenny Kaunda instead of him for next year as he doesn't seem very unhealthy

• Like 1

Last year we had a clear out of Centarians who had all been on the list long before they reached 100. Betty White & Prince Phillip are heading in that direction. Not many make their debut past 100.

With the possible exception of Clarissa Eden, I don't think any of the current centenarians are well-known enough in the UK to be included on the deathlist. I don't think the likes of Boris Pahor or Norman Lloyd are household names. I hadn't heard of them until I started to take an interest in possible deathlist types.

• Like 1

Pahor is the only current well-known centenarian I've known for over ten years. I've seen his book "Necropolis" for a few times in flea markets.

Lloyd is famous for being in some Hitchcock movies in the 40s/50s, especially from playing the villain in Saboteur (1942) but probably most of his current fame is from being an active centenarian.

• Like 2

As a scientist myself I was familiar with Lovelock but he seems like he might be too healthy

10 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

As a scientist myself I was familiar with Lovelock but he seems like he might be too healthy

I've known about James Lovelock for...about 25 years now as he came up in a course topic in primary school! He was referred to as an old scientist back then and all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arghton said:

Pahor is the only current well-known centenarian I've known for over ten years. I've seen his book "Necropolis" for a few times in flea markets.

Lloyd is famous for being in some Hitchcock movies in the 40s/50s, especially from playing the villain in Saboteur (1942) but probably most of his current fame is from being an active centenarian.

He was in Trainwreck with Amy Schumer a few years ago which I am surprised didn't finish him off.I remember him Best from the Dead Poets Society.He was also in The Age of Innocence so he is known for some work after the 40 s and 50s.

12 hours ago, GEMINEYE said:

With the possible exception of Clarissa Eden, I don't think any of the current centenarians are well-known enough in the UK to be included on the deathlist. I don't think the likes of Boris Pahor or Norman Lloyd are household names. I hadn't heard of them until I started to take an interest in possible deathlist types.

James Lovelock is definitely famous enough both in his field and media presence in the past.

June Spencer from the Archers is another centenarian name that strikes me as meeting the DL threshold.She is certainly better known than Clarissa Eden.Over 70 years (with a few breaks) playing the same character.Also the last original cast member of the Archers still in it.I think only her and Ysanne Churchman are the only living original cast members from the very beginning.Not sure if Pamela Mant the original Christine Archer is still alive.

Both Lovelock and Spencer will get widespread coverage when they go.So will Clarissa Eden but not as much.

• Like 4

Two centenarians on my list, both painters: Wayne Thiebaud and Pierre Soulages, both of legendary international fame in their field but then again as a painter myself I can't vouch for how well-known they are overall. Two more would turn 100 this year: Philippe (son of) de Gaulle, and another painter: Françoise Gilot. She especially is living history in art like the Queen is in politics, a true window into a different era.

• Like 1

Prince Phillip died on day 99 aged 99.

The 2020 list had its Eighth hit on day 103.

The current list is only 2 days behind 2008 which got its seventh hit on day 120 (30 April)

• Like 2

As of today with Mondale's passing, we're just one hit behind 2020 and we're 8 days in font of 2008. quite impressive considering I wouldn't have guessed we would have been competing with the two strongest lists here. 

The next key date is 11th of April when 2020 had its 9th death : we have to get 2 deaths by then to equal that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lafaucheuse said:

As of today with Mondale's passing, we're just one hit behind 2020 and we're 8 days in font of 2008. quite impressive considering I wouldn't have guessed we would have been competing with the two strongest lists here. 

The next key date is 11th of April when 2020 had its 9th death : we have to get 2 deaths by then to equal that. 

I think you might mean May.

The 8th hit in 2008 did not come until 27th May

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I think you might mean May.

The 8th hit in 2008 did not come until 27th May

Of course I meant may, sorry :old:

• Like 1

Out of the three notable US politicians born in the early 1920s (Dole, Kissinger and Carter) I'm starting to think Kissinger will be the last.

Last month Kissinger talked about politics for an hour in a webinar, meanwhile Dole's got stage four lung cancer and Carter looks horrible. Kissinger feels like he could go on for another two or three years

• Like 1

I reckon the following will die this year in roughly this order:

Bob Dole

Leslie Phillips 

Jimmy Carter

Sidney Poitier

Shannen Doherty 

Barbara Walters

Jimmy Greaves

Bernard Cribbins

• Like 1

I'd add Bob Barker and Abdelaziz Bouteflika to the list. There's been discussion on Barker and doesn't sound like he'll be here long enough to see 2022. Bouteflika is surrounded by a medical team at all times.

I would also add Imelda Marcos (hasn't been seen in over a year) to the list but her grandson can't wait to see her when the quarantine ends and says she "outpaces us with restlessness energy" so it seems like the shoe collector isn't going to be our next hit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, arghton said:

I'd add Bob Barker and Abdelaziz Bouteflika to the list. There's been discussion on Barker and doesn't sound like he'll be here long enough to see 2022. Bouteflika is surrounded by a medical team at all times.

I would also add Imelda Marcos (hasn't been seen in over a year) to the list but her grandson can't wait to see her when the quarantine ends and says she "outpaces us with restlessness energy" so it seems like the shoe collector isn't going to be our next hit.

Good points, it does feel like a lot of the low hanging fruit has been cleared over the past 12 months and there are now fewer obvious candidates for the remainder of this year. Dole and Jimmy Carter are probably the only two I'd bet my mortgage on not surviving the year. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Good points, it does feel like a lot of the low hanging fruit has been cleared over the past 12 months and there are now fewer obvious candidates for the remainder of this year. Dole and Jimmy Carter are probably the only two I'd bet my mortgage on not surviving the year. 

I wouldn’t bet anything on Carter’s passing tbh, looks like shit but could be here for another year i think

also, I would have put some less predictable picks like Le Pen, Delors, Brookes

The month of May has been disappointing so far in terms of celebrity deaths. Out of those who have died, only Olympia Dukakis and Nick Kamen are household names in the UK. I reckon we're going to have a wave of deaths at the end of the month though - my money is on Bob Dole, Jimmy Carter, Leslie Philips, Sarah Harding and Tom Parker going in the next few weeks. And possibly Jeff Bridges.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GEMINEYE said:

The month of May has been disappointing so far in terms of celebrity deaths. Out of those who have died, only Olympia Dukakis and Nick Kamen are household names in the UK. I reckon we're going to have a wave of deaths at the end of the month though - my money is on Bob Dole, Jimmy Carter, Leslie Philips, Sarah Harding and Tom Parker going in the next few weeks. And possibly Jeff Bridges.

I hope you're wrong about Jeff Bridges, because I love that man.

• Like 2

Forty six days since the last hit.

However in last year's record breaking run there was a gap of 52 days between 25th July and 15th September. However if we don't get another hit in the next three weeks we will fall behind 2015.

• Like 1