Charles De Gaulle

Thoughts and Opinions on the 2021 Deathlist

8 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yes I done goofed!

Though he was on a chat show in late September and still working hence why I thought he’d go on, but at 90+ anything can happen I guess.

I still don’t think we should pack the DL with active nonagenarians. Dick Van D, Lansbury and the Queen proving why it’s a bad move.

And now prepare for 3 hits in the coming hours ! Thanks Ullitzer :D

• Haha 5

Lansbury hasn’t been seen much for a while so we don’t really know enough to say how healthy she really is.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yes I done goofed!

Though he was on a chat show in late September and still working hence why I thought he’d go on, but at 90+ anything can happen I guess.

I still don’t think we should pack the DL with active nonagenarians. Dick Van D, Lansbury and the Queen proving why it’s a bad move.

tbf it's been one of those years where a number of folk who would be good DL candidates died without anyone knowing they were in any danger. Des O'Connor for example.

Although I will note that I don't believe the 15 or so bedblockers (the oldies on till they drop) on the list are responsible for the rotten  7/35 score for the rest of the list. It's all those on/off names like Loretta Lynn, Dick Cheney and Vanessa Redgrave and others who are nowhere near dying that are buggering things up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, msc said:

tbf it's been one of those years where a number of folk who would be good DL candidates died without anyone knowing they were in any danger. Des O'Connor for example.

Although I will note that I don't believe the 15 or so bedblockers (the oldies on till they drop) on the list are responsible for the rotten  7/35 score for the rest of the list. It's all those on/off names like Loretta Lynn, Dick Cheney and Vanessa Redgrave and others who are nowhere near dying that are buggering things up.

Sorry to be pendanic but Des died in November last year. 

I am not sure next year will be a high scoring year either - there doesn’t feel like they are many good fairly certain names to be be called up/recalled or 100% have to be kept on the list because they pretty likely to go next year due a decline in condition this year.

3 minutes ago, msc said:

I think it's both.

Larry King and Sarah Harding were stupid misses IMO. Very ill names should be prioritised.

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Sorry to be pendanic but Des died in November last year. 

I am not sure next year will be a high scoring year either - there doesn’t feel like they are many good fairly certain names to be be called up/recalled or 100% have to be kept on the list because they pretty likely to go next year due a decline in condition this year.

Des/Tom O'Connor, Lionel Blair, all old entertainers merging in my head, you know what I basically mean.

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I think it's both.

Larry King and Sarah Harding were stupid misses IMO. Very ill names should be prioritised.

Well, yes, if they bring back duff old picks, better old picks (King) find themselves out on the cold.

DI said on January 1st it was a "rest on the laurels don't try too hard" squad. She was right.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, msc said:

Des/Tom O'Connor, Lionel Blair, all old entertainers merging in my head, you know what I basically mean.

Well, yes, if they bring back duff old picks, better old picks (King) find themselves out on the cold.

DI said on January 1st it was a "rest on the laurels don't try too hard" squad. She was right.

I think next year will be 13-16 hit year. Not sure there is enough on the clock to challenge 20 again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

I think next year will be 13-16 hit year. Not sure there is enough on the clock to challenge 20 again. 

Depends a lot on who they keep on the list as mentioned by Bibliogryphon a few days ago.

I'm pretty sure there will be misses. There are a lot of nonagenarians who could be dropped but who they'll probably keep on the list in case they suddenly get sick.

Lot of ones who could return on the list. Jerry Lee Lewis (1993), Jake "The Snake" Roberts (2015) and Desmond Tutu (2001, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020) should make a comeback, atleast in my opinion. Maybe Liza Minnelli (2001) and Ozzy Osbourne (1987 and 1989) too.

• Like 2

On 01/01/2021 at 10:02, drol said:

The 2020 list got universal acclaim here. And it was well deserved. This was panned and we shall see if the forum is right again.

Of course it was. I have to say it also had bad luck, with relics like Bob Dole and Jimmy Carter unexplicably continuing to live. Anyway next year will be better.

Drop

Dick Van Dyke

Akihito

Loretta Lynn

Alan Greenspan

Khamenei

David Crosby

Prunella Scales

Dick Cheney

Linda Nolan

Betty Boothroyd

Vanessa Redgrave

Shane McGowan

Shannen Doherty

Return

Desmond Tutu

Gorbachev

Ozzy Osbourne

Jerry Lee Lewis

Jake the Snake

New

Frank Field

Antony Sher

Pelé

Noam Chomsky

Jiang Zemin

Glynis Johns

• Like 4

@drol

Not a bad assessment but I am firmly in the No Wrestlers On The Deathlist grouping so I would take issue with one of your picks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

@drol

Not a bad assessment but I am firmly in the No Wrestlers On The Deathlist grouping so I would take issue with one of your picks

It would be uneducative for children watching from home!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, drol said:

Of course it was. I have to say it also had bad luck, with relics like Bob Dole and Jimmy Carter unexplicably continuing to live. Anyway next year will be better.

I could bet that Dole will die in December considering he's been very quiet since that 11th of November interview but, I've said this before, if he makes it to 2022 he deserves the first spot on the next year's DL. Not only was he corpse-like for years before his February (over 9 months ago) cancer diagnosis but he's lived with stage IV lung cancer longer than the average person with it does AND became the oldest living former member of the house of reps this month. He'll probably outlive us all.

42 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

@drol

Out of curiosity, why?

41 minutes ago, arghton said:

I could bet that Dole will die in December considering he's been very quiet since that 11th of November interview but, I've said this before, if he makes it to 2022 he deserves the first spot on the next year's DL. Not only was he corpse-like for years before his February (over 9 months ago) cancer diagnosis but he's lived with stage IV lung cancer longer than the average person with it does AND became the oldest living former member of the house of reps this month. He'll probably outlive us all.

I could see him being a rare "#1 clean sweep" if he makes 2022, topping the DL, the Drop 40, and the Crowdsourced DL. Like Prince Philip this year.

• Like 3

I feel like there will be a time in the coming months with very expected and numerous deaths just like in January 2016 for example. I already said that in the beginning of 2021 and have been proved wrong by the lack of interesting and obvious deaths (which is a miracle considering some of the picks’ health) but as much as I think they will see 2022, I’m really confident that Dole, Carter, Phillips, Benedict XVI or even Betty White will pass on in 2022. Of course they can let me down and fight to see 2023 but I don’t think it will happen since there’s a lot of picks who are on their last leg. Since the purge of 2020, I feel like we’ll be facing the end of an era in 2022 if people like Tutu, Jerry Lee Lewis and locks like Dole etc pass away, and I’m pretty convinced it will happen sooner than later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drol said:

Drop

Dick Van Dyke

Akihito

Loretta Lynn

Alan Greenspan

Khamenei

David Crosby

Prunella Scales

Dick Cheney

Linda Nolan

Betty Boothroyd

Vanessa Redgrave

Shane McGowan

Shannen Doherty

Return

Desmond Tutu

Gorbachev

Ozzy Osbourne

Jerry Lee Lewis

Jake the Snake

New

Frank Field

Antony Sher

Pelé

Noam Chomsky

Jiang Zemin

Glynis Johns

At least one and quite possibly both of Doherty and Nolan will go next year I think. Prunella surely can’t have long left either. 

I am not sure Jiang Zemin will make the list. He has the status but it’s possible none of the committee will  remember exactly who he is. 

1 hour ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Out of curiosity, why?

It's not well covered on Radio 4

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I feel like there will be a time in the coming months with very expected and numerous deaths just like in January 2016 for example. I already said that in the beginning of 2021 and have been proved wrong by the lack of interesting and obvious deaths (which is a miracle considering some of the picks’ health) but as much as I think they will see 2022, I’m really confident that Dole, Carter, Phillips, Benedict XVI or even Betty White will pass on in 2022. Of course they can let me down and fight to see 2023 but I don’t think it will happen since there’s a lot of picks who are on their last leg. Since the purge of 2020, I feel like we’ll be facing the end of an era in 2022 if people like Tutu, Jerry Lee Lewis and locks like Dole etc pass away, and I’m pretty convinced it will happen sooner than later. 

Your sensing a massive enema in 2022 ? That's your prediction?;):D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

At least one and quite possibly both of Doherty and Nolan will go next year I think. Prunella surely can’t have long left either. 

I am not sure Jiang Zemin will make the list. He has the status but it’s possible none of the committee will  remember exactly who he is. 

If people want to keep believing that Doherty and Nolan are facing imminent death I won't stop them.

I'm predicting a run of American politicians' deaths over the next couple of months...Dole, Carter and Kissinger, with Bill Clinton not too far behind. How Dole is still alive at this point is beyond me!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Your sensing a massive enema in 2022 ? That's your prediction?;):D

Not sure ! Now I mentioned it, it’ll probably worse than 2021 (if possible)…

• Haha 1

A Dole v Phillips poll would be good. Both are about the same age and by logic it's miraculous that either is still alive.