Moaning Minnie

Biggest Miss of 2021

23 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

She is 91 and didn't leave the soap with a massive fanfare.  Maybe she made the decision that she did not want to become overly involved in the celebrations. She has never given many interviews or appeared on programmes other than the street. I would say that she guards her private life and likes to keep out of the public eye as much as possible.

I have picked Patricia Routledge for this year and my reasoning was that she had a fall last year and was recovering ( also using a walking stick ) which would suggest that she is both frail and unsteady on her feet.

She is a better candidate and has some form which suggests that she could deteriorate significantly this year.

Not a pick for the sake of it.

Eileen Derbyshire is known as the Greta Garbo of the Coronation Street cast. Even Amanda Barrie jokingly made reference to it in a podcast interview were she referenced Eileen visiting a relative in hospital and putting on a disguise outfit as not to be recognised whereas Julie Goodyear was very flamboyant and visible as much offscreen as onscreen!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Eileen Derbyshire is known as the Greta Garbo of the Coronation Street cast. Even Amanda Barrie jokingly made reference to it in a podcast interview were she referenced Eileen visiting a relative in hospital and putting on a disguise outfit as not to be recognised whereas Julie Goodyear was very flamboyant and visible as much offscreen as onscreen!

I remember reading an interview where Jane Danson (Who plays Leanne Battersby) mentioned how she and Eileen both watched Sunset Beach and would discuss it in the green room. 

• Like 1

I completely understand the type of person who is included in DL.  Floyd Little isn't really checking the boxes.  But if they want hits and any traffic from the U.S., he could have been included in the 40s somewhere as a guaranteed death.  I mean he is a HOF player, not some hack.  But I am not calling it a big miss.  Just an easy pick that 'likely' would obit (and did).  The Committee's loss.
SC

25 minutes ago, Man About The Forum said:

Gerry Marsden.

Hardly what I'd call a miss. Or is this thread only about people that died and weren't on the list? We already have a thread for that called the Dead of 2021 thread. 

• Like 4

This is the worst fucking thread on the forum.

Everybody is wise after the event, everybody thinks that this person or that person should have been included, blah fucking blah.

Utterly pointless, ridiculous and meaningless.

You could pool 200 odd celebs with a good chance of going this year but 'if space permits....' or summat.

Look, you cannot put EVERBODY on, knackered heart, cancer, alzheimers or whatever being the reason, there is not enough fucking spaces you twats!

In view of the above, there cannot be a 'biggest miss' can there!

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Hardly what I'd call a miss. Or is this thread only about people that died and weren't on the list? We already have a thread for that called the Dead of 2021 thread. 

He's the biggest miss of 2021 so far! Doubt it will stay that way for long, admittedly.

Just now, Man About The Forum said:

He's the biggest miss of 2021 so far! Doubt it will stay that way for long, admittedly.

Utter bullshit.

• Like 3

And surely you won’t know who the biggest miss is until the end of the year anyway. Going to be a long year if some tit pops up on here and  claims every remotely famous death is the biggest miss. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ripley said:

And surely you won’t know who the biggest miss is until the end of the year anyway. Going to be a long year if some tit pops up on here and  claims every remotely famous death is the biggest miss. 

Welcome to the Deathlist forum.  :banghead:

• Like 4

Surely the definition of a big miss is someone with a huge celebrity status (not Mark frigging Eden or Gerry bloody Marsden), who should have been on the list because they were famous enough and it should have been obvious to put them on the list due to having one foot in the grave (Larry King or Olivia Newton John or Jeff Bridges, for example).

Just any old celebrity death is NOT a miss, and even a really famous celebrity death is NOT a miss unless it was obvious that they were at risk but weren't put on the list. For example if Donald Trump died (fingers crossed) it would be a surprise and a massive celebrity death, but it wouldn't be a miss because there is no reason to have put him on the list in the first place.

So can we stop listing every celebrity death who is not on the list as a big miss, pur-lease!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

This is the worst fucking thread on the forum.

Everybody is wise after the event, everybody thinks that this person or that person should have been included, blah fucking blah.

Utterly pointless, ridiculous and meaningless.

You could pool 200 odd celebs with a good chance of going this year but 'if space permits....' or summat.

Look, you cannot put EVERBODY on, knackered heart, cancer, alzheimers or whatever being the reason, there is not enough fucking spaces you twats!

In view of the above, there cannot be a 'biggest miss' can there!

I've railed against previous iterations of this bollocks, and for the exactly the same unassailable logic. Even tried to get an oar in early on this one.

On 01/01/2021 at 17:27, En Passant said:

Fuck me this started early. Cheers Deathers you dick.

But its like pushing water uphill. They just ignore it and keep coming back every single time somebody famous but not on the list carks.

I suppose I'll keep pointing it out when the mood takes me, because one should try to gently educate against this complete inability to distinguish hindsight from foresight.

But I fear we are not going to win this war, sheer weight of numbers is against us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's only 3 real types of DL "miss" and even one is...debatable.

1. Those Grim Reaper goes "Oh doh, what a miss, we nearly had them on the list!". Can't recall this happening in recent years - Tony Hart an example of this from a while ago...

2. Those who were on the list, drop off and die. But again, only 50 spots.

3. The seeming DL Cmme fave type pick they forgo, based on their previous. ie Howard Marks. But the Cmme are unto their own...

Not every single A lister (or hell, C lister) in the UK who dies are a miss. 99.9% fall under the "that's a shame, they'd have made a nice addition" rather than a miss. Hell, I could have given you a list of 200 celebs (hypothetical here) who "could" have died last year and Geoffrey Palmer wouldnt have been anywhere near it. Nor Diana Rigg. It's a fact of life with about 10 known celebs dying a month per average and 50 spots on the DL, many people who feel like they would be DLy will die off the list. That's just life.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, GEMINEYE said:

Surely the definition of a big miss is someone with a huge celebrity status (not Mark frigging Eden or Gerry bloody Marsden), who should have been on the list because they were famous enough and it should have been obvious to put them on the list due to having one foot in the grave (Larry King or Olivia Newton John or Jeff Bridges, for example).

Just any old celebrity death is NOT a miss, and even a really famous celebrity death is NOT a miss unless it was obvious that they were at risk but weren't put on the list. For example if Donald Trump died (fingers crossed) it would be a surprise and a massive celebrity death, but it wouldn't be a miss because there is no reason to have put him on the list in the first place.

So can we stop listing every celebrity death who is not on the list as a big miss, pur-lease!

Exactly.

On 01/01/2021 at 19:26, Deathrace said:

Yes, I'm sure he was a decent bloke etc but he was hardly Sean Connery. That's what I call a big miss 

Although the vast majority of us will have known him as Alan Bradley, he was quite a big star back in the day. Not exactly Sean Connery/Michael Caine admittedly, but definitely quite a major player in 50s Brit flicks. Watch a few old films on Talking Pictures - I guarantee he'll be in a few of them, and not in the "oi! that's my ladder!" blink-and-you'll-miss-it Sam Kydd-type cameos either.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Although the vast majority of us will have known him as Alan Bradley, he was quite a big star back in the day. Not exactly Sean Connery/Michael Caine admittedly, but definitely quite a major player in 50s Brit flicks. Watch a few old films on Talking Pictures - I guarantee he'll be in a few of them, and not in the "oi! that's my ladder!" blink-and-you'll-miss-it Sam Kydd-type cameos either.

He was in a fair amount of ITC stuff as well, The Saint, The Prisoner, Man in a Suitcase, probably more. It was always fun to see him.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Oh, I love talking pictures!

So many wonderful and atmospheric British films of the 50s and 60s!:)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

4 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I was watching an old film yesterday I think it was.  Freddie and the dreamers were in it, something about cuckoo's,  can't really remember the title, only caught the last 10 minutes thankfully. The acting from the 60's pop stars was pretty grim. 

• Like 1

If someone made either the drop 40 on the DDP or is included on the Crowdsourced list but is not on the Deathlist then they can be considered a miss. If you have them on your own previously published shadow list you can congratulate yourself on your prescience. There are only 50 slots on the main list and a large number of good candidates.

15 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Been watching Enemy at the Door every Sunday for a few months now. First time viewing. Alfred Burke is always good to see in these old shows, although I had completely forgotten Bernard Horsfall died a few years ago. One of those big alive type actors if you get what I mean.

Talking Pics is a brilliant TV channel, likely to have at least 2 or 3 films a week worth taping to watch. Hard to believe the entire channel is run by 2 or 3 people only!

• Like 2

Just now, msc said:

Been watching Enemy at the Door every Sunday for a few months now. First time viewing. Alfred Burke is always good to see in these old shows, although I had completely forgotten Bernard Horsfall died a few years ago. One of those big alive type actors if you get what I mean.

Talking Pics is a brilliant TV channel, likely to have at least 2 or 3 films a week worth taping to watch. Hard to believe the entire channel is run by 2 or 3 people only!

Yes, a real garden shed production!

I have watched a few of the old Private Eye ( Frank Marker ) episodes, Budgie and Hazel.

Takes me back a bit!:D

I don't class Gerry Marsden as a big miss for the committee. Not at all. But nor do I view Gerry Marsden as small fish or a near non entity or minor celebrity either as some seem to be close to arguing. 

Its perfectly possible to acknowledge the extent of his fame or achievements and not downplay  them AND  not argue that he is a big miss.

7 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Yes, a real garden shed production!

I have watched a few of the old Private Eye ( Frank Marker ) episodes, Budgie and Hazel.

Takes me back a bit!:D

Hazel was a weird one. I liked that one with Peter Bowles as the journalist/detective. Lyttons Diary. He's one of those actors you don't realise how many things you've seen with him in them.

Another Talking Pictures fave (apart from Hell Drivers shown twice a year, as recommended as any film with Sean Connery and William Hartnell together can be!) is The Iron Maiden. Nowt to do with rock music. Michael Craig races around the countryside in a clapped out traction engine. Want one!

He's still going and all, btw. 93 this month.

• Like 1

Christ, I'm all for criticising the DL but it's only 3rd January. 

How the bloody hell is this on three pages already? There hasn't even been a greatly significant miss yet. Patience ppl!

7 minutes ago, msc said:

Hazel was a weird one. I liked that one with Peter Bowles as the journalist/detective. Lyttons Diary. He's one of those actors you don't realise how many things you've seen with him in them.

Another Talking Pictures fave (apart from Hell Drivers shown twice a year, as recommended as any film with Sean Connery and William Hartnell together can be!) is The Iron Maiden. Nowt to do with rock music. Michael Craig races around the countryside in a clapped out traction engine. Want one!

He's still going and all, btw. 93 this month.

Hell Drivers!!!!!

One of my all time faves!!!!

Patrick McGoohan is a bastard in that!!

• Like 1