Joey Russ

The 2021 Deathlist Cup

1 minute ago, deadsox said:

Are you going to name names Joey?

:unsure:

In my defence, I was at work all day and it was a pretty obscure name, so obscure in fact there's no mention of it on Google.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Banana said:

:unsure:

In my defence, I was at work all day and it was a pretty obscure name, so obscure in fact there's no mention of it on Google.

Don’t worry, you weren’t the worst case.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Banana said:

Yu Mo-lin & Yu Mulian are the same person

and 

An Fear Bag's picks Yousef Shabaan & Gerardo Valtierra are dead.

It seems like those two died after Fear Beag submitted his team (they were definitely alive when I checked around when he submitted). Sometimes these things happen though. Amitabh Bachchan and Prince Philip joins his team. 
As for Yu Mulian, I asked him to clarify if he actually meant Yu Mo-lin and made clear he meant Mulian. I was definitely confused there for a minute. She’s a Hong Kong journalist btw. 

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

It seems like those two died after Fear Beag submitted his team (they were definitely alive when I checked around when he submitted). Sometimes these things happen though. Amitabh Bachchan and Prince Philip joins his team. 
As for Yu Mulian, I asked him to clarify if he actually meant Yu Mo-lin and made clear he meant Mulian. I was definitely confused there for a minute. She’s a Hong Kong journalist btw. 

It's been spelt both ways https://daydaynews.cc/en/newsstar/794058.html

2 minutes ago, Banana said:

It's been spelt both ways https://daydaynews.cc/en/newsstar/794058.html

In my defense, google seemed to have these as two different people but I can now see they’re definitely the same person. Also had the Lorimer situation to deal with too which was also on the back of my mind. 

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

In my defense, google seemed to have these as two different people but I can now see they’re definitely the same person. Also had the Lorimer situation to deal with too which was also on the back of my mind. 

Suffice to say it's not been a great day lol

Hmm...Wormfarmer and I only have 3 in common (Bilton, Dole, Whale). Dole is his joker, Lorimer mine - both likely to hit. This is gonna be an interesting one.

Got one eye on the fact that the winner either goes up against the bold calls of theoldlady, or, *gulp*, past champion deadsox. This won’t be an easy Cup for either of us.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

So, this is the mob lined up to face MarkB4 - amazed to discover the opposition aren't fielding the Leeds great currently in hospice care. 

2021 – March

1.       Peter Lorimer jkr

2.       Ruthie Thompson

3.       Eileen Ash - cricketer

4.       Kane Tanaka

5.       Kat Bjelland

6.       Johnny Johnson – dambuster

7.       Jack Arends

8.       John Hemingway – last of the few

9.       Shanta Kumar

10.   Sarah Lilian Priest

11.   David Gulpilil

Game on, or summat

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Banana said:

Yu Mo-lin & Yu Mulian are the same person

and 

An Fear Bag's picks Yousef Shabaan & Gerardo Valtierra are dead.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

I don't fucking believe it. 

For the Deathrace, I picked a provisional team a week before the start, and lost 5 of them before the game started. So rather than waste my time, I didn't even start looking for names until about 9 o'clock yesterday morning. Did a quick check at tea-time to make sure they were all present and correct before submitting. And STILL managed to lose two of the inconsiderate cunts before the kick-off. What are the fucking odds of that :banghead:

Two valuable lessons learned for the next round, if I somehow manage to make it through now. 

1. To hell with making life easy for Joey by submitting a team at the reasonable hour of 6.30 pm. 11.50pm it is from now on. 

2. Be a lot more carful with picking subs, rather than just chuck in the first three names that come to mind at the last minute. Because after all, what are fucking chances that two picks will die within 5 hours of submitting a team!

And then to top it all off, I've only gone and lost an "e" and all :rant:

• Haha 1

It says something about my confidence levels in my own Cup ability that I was delighted looking down the selections to see that somebody else had picked every one of my picks (so making me not look like an idiot) and yet at the same time completely terrified of even googling all Spade's unique picks that I'm sure will be gasping their last breath as I write.

Although Nabindra Raj Joshi has got some really heavyweight DL Cuppers backing them not to make it to April.

Joey once you get over the Peter Lorimer trauma are you going to do the teams match up 11 v 11 or is it a case of work it out for ourselves coz it's a lot of work with all these teams?

Thanks for running. Cheers, GUN.

I think it's kind of necessary to have up to 15 names lined up for this. And the obscurer you get, the more likely is a late death announcement. So you don't know they're dead for a few days.

Seems like he died very early on Monday. University presidents are very well known to be a love of Sir Creep, but they are also quite the classic cup picks. DePerro is no different, and Banana starts with a 4 point lead against a rematch against GreatUncleBulgaria. See Banana, I told you the obscure umpire wasn’t the worst case of folk not checking to make sure they’re all alive. 

1. YorkshireBanker vs CalebH 0 - 0

2. Grobler vs msc 0 - 0

3. Djemba Djemba vs alt obits guy 0 - 0

4. Theoldlady vs deadsox 0 - 0

5. Perhaps vs ThereWillBeDeaths7 0 - 0

6. Book vs An Fear Beag 0 - 0

7. Markb4 vs maryportfuncity 0 - 0

8. Quim Reaper vs Wormfarmer 0 - 0

9. HDS vs Clorox Bleachman 0 - 0

10. DeathByArsenic vs Joey Russ 0 - 0

11. DevonDeathTrip vs Annami 0 - 0

12. Gcreptile vs Baby Blue 0 - 0

13. BuffaloPhil vs CaptainChorizo 0 - 0

14. Banana vs GreatUncleBulgaria 4 - 0

15. Spade_Cooley vs Grim Up North 0 - 0

16. Bibliogryphon vs EtushIsPushingUpTheDaisies 0 - 0

• Like 1

And award winning high school football coaches are also classic cup picks. Just need one of drol’s immortals to go and we’d have a cup trifecta. :D 

So Tunnell has made his last touchdown, and unsurprisingly some of the top cup contenders noticed that he was in hospice. Banana extends his lead against the Great Uncle even further to seven points, and the highly anticipated Spade vs Grim match gives Spade his first points of the match. 

1. YorkshireBanker vs CalebH 0 - 0

2. Grobler vs msc 0 - 0

5. Perhaps vs ThereWillBeDeaths7 0 - 0

6. Book vs An Fear Beag 0 - 0

9. HDS vs Clorox Bleachman 0 - 0

12. Gcreptile vs Baby Blue 0 - 0

13. BuffaloPhil vs CaptainChorizo 0 - 0

14. Banana vs GreatUncleBulgaria 7 - 0

15. Spade_Cooley vs Grim Up North 3 - 0

16. Bibliogryphon vs EtushIsPushingUpTheDaisies 0 - 0

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

What looked like a pretty bleak month for Cup about a week ago turned out 6 hospice/palliative care folk on my team.

Jim Crockett Jr has made his final promotion, and ended up being a bit of a cult pick in the cup. So who picked him? Well, Banana already seems to have slipped up GreatUncleBulgaria’s chances as he now takes a 10 points lead. Meanwhile, Grim’s situation seem to get a bit grimmer as Spade ended up getting another hit and is now up 6 in his match. Elsewhere, other matches scores. An Fear Beag seemed to have lost multiple folk before the starting line, but he does take the early lead. Another person to take the lead is HDS, who is looking to beat two time semifinalist clorox to get farther than last year. Reptile has long struggled with cup success but takes his lead against rookie BabyBlue. It’s still early but soon it might be over now for BabyBlue. Speaking of rookies, Perhaps is our final cup contender to pick up on Crockett. All in all, we now have multiple matches with scores, which suggests things are starting to warm up here:

2. Grobler vs msc 0 - 0

5. Perhaps vs ThereWillBeDeaths7 3 - 0

6. Book vs An Fear Beag 0 - 3

9. HDS vs Clorox Bleachman 3 - 0

12. Gcreptile vs Baby Blue 3 - 0

14. Banana vs GreatUncleBulgaria 10 - 0

15. Spade_Cooley vs Grim Up North 6 - 0

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

One of the legit huge names in pro-wrestling history.

- Took over Jim Crockett Promotions from his dad

- Gave Ric Flair his big break, and was the biggest voice/supporter behind Flair becoming the NWAs biggest star of the 1980s.

- Gave George Scott the booking (head writer) gig, he went on to write Hulk Hogans early title run in WWF and  help start the 80s boom period.

- Three time National Wrestling Alliance President, which made him the head honcho of North American pro-wrestling at the time (then second only to Vince McMahon).

- The other successful expansionist of the 1980s alongside Vince McMahon - Verne Gagne tried but failed - Crockett Jr annexed the Florida territories into JCP, and various other southern companies.

- Bought McMahons TV slot on Turner's channel, creating a rival to the WWF.

- Launched Starrcade, the first major wrestling PPV event.

- Sold the company to Ted Turner in 1988, creating World Championship Wrestling, which fuelled the wrestling boom of the 1990s. 

If the company had just gone to David Crockett in the 1970s, wrestling would have been much different and less big.

Despite strong performances by DevonDeathTrip throughout his dead pooling career, it has seemed like he's been slipping a bit. Indeed, after winning the cup in 2018 he never made it out of round 2. However, his notice of the South African journalist with Covid still proves he has stuff left in the take. Will this March be the one that finally gets DDT to move on to round 3? We have to see, but in the mean time, points!

2. Grobler vs msc 0 - 0

11. DevonDeathTrip vs Annami 4 - 0

12. Gcreptile vs Baby Blue 3 - 0

• Like 1

Just to be clear before everybody’s talking about why I included him despite seeming fringey at first glance, the reason that I allowed Zak Nilsson as a cup entry was because there was evidence that he appeared on a John Wicks album (yes, that infamous dead pool), as well as his tribute album. It’s a very low bar I’ll admit, but he just clears it. A lot like Morning Joe’s mum a few years back. 
Anyways, he is unique for Reptile and with already holds a 7 point against BabyBlue. Might be all over for him soon. 

2. Grobler vs msc 0 - 0

11. DevonDeathTrip vs Annami 4 - 0

12. Gcreptile vs Baby Blue 7 - 0

• Like 1

On 02/03/2021 at 20:23, gcreptile said:

Nabindra Raj Joshi supposedly improving - off the ventilator, but risk remains:

https://myrepublica.nagariknetwork.com/news/joshi-s-health-improving-blood-pressure-under-control/

My first replacement, and definitely would have made it if he had been 10 years older.

Nabindra Raj Joshi back in coma, oh-oh:

https://english.khabarhub.com/2021/09/168924/