Joey Russ

The 2021 Deathlist Cup

4 hours ago, markb4 said:

Oh, I didn't see the default rule about that. It would be Tom Parker.

Yeah, well, it's a default rule I set on Deathlist to be fair to the laziest entrants - not sure it's part of DL Cup tradition. 

But we're discussing it in public and I'm happy to see your team awarded a joker - means nobody can say my crushing victory at the end of the month was a fluke :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Yeah, well, it's a default rule I set on Deathlist to be fair to the laziest entrants - not sure it's part of DL Cup tradition. 

But we're discussing it in public and I'm happy to see your team awarded a joker - means nobody can say my crushing victory at the end of the month was a fluke :rolleyes:

Ah, but if Tom Parker ends up dying this month, and nobody else on your team dies, then markb4 would advance to round 3

Btw, entries for the cup are now open since I sent in my (likely unneeded) team for April to safe keeping. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wormfarmer said:

On paper I have already handed the win to Quim this round, but here we are entering the final third of the month and still we are locked into a 0-0 battle.  I would like to say that I had every expectation that Prince Philip and Peter Lorimer were going to survive the month, and it is next month that I will put them on my list and score the points.  But it was mere oversight that I missed those two (although I did have Prince P as an alternate).  I still give Quim a big edge, but at this point all I need is a hail mary on one of my solos, and I have a good chance at moving on to the next round.  Anything can happen . . . . .  that's why we play the games!

Nothing seems to kill off an opponents pick quicker than blogging about it.  This should teach me not to submit my team early!  Although here in California, I don't think our internet is good enough to get health intel on soccer (futbol) players anyway . . . . . :P

9 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Ah, but if Tom Parker ends up dying this month, and nobody else on your team dies, then markb4 would advance to round 3

Completely understand - but I wouldn't want to win it the way Lorimer's Leeds won things:unsure:

Lee Noble is out for the count now, and he might end up being a very decisive hits for multiple people. For starters, BuffaloPhil and Chorizo are no longer in a tie, and Chorizo takes a lead in that match. Meanwhile, Perhaps takes a 6 points lead against ThereWillBeDeaths7, and DDT gets his 11 points lead up against Annami. The most consequential matchup might be Book vs An Fear Beag. Their match is tied scorewise. However, because they both had Lorimer joker and Noble is younger than Jim Crockett Jr, Book now takes the lead. 
Honestly being a cup finalist isn’t a statistically a good thing for the following cup. Indeed, of the 6 finalists from 2017 - 2019, only one made it past round 2 the next year. It could be that An Fear Beag just could not avoid that curse either. 

1. YorkshireBanker vs CalebH 4 - 7

2. Grobler vs msc 0 - 12

3. Djemba Djemba vs alt obits guy 6 - 9

4. Theoldlady vs deadsox 0 - 0

5. Perhaps vs ThereWillBeDeaths7 12 - 6

6. Book vs An Fear Beag 9 - 9

7. Markb4 vs maryportfuncity 0 - 6

8. Quim Reaper vs Wormfarmer 6- 0

9. HDS vs Clorox Bleachman 12 - 6

10. DeathByArsenic vs Joey Russ 6 - 0

11. DevonDeathTrip vs Annami 17 - 6

12. Gcreptile vs Baby Blue 13 - 3

13. BuffaloPhil vs CaptainChorizo 6 - 9

14. Banana vs GreatUncleBulgaria 16 - 6

15. Spade_Cooley vs Grim Up North 15 - 9

16. Bibliogryphon vs EtushIsPushingUpTheDaisies 0 - 0

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 01/03/2021 at 00:04, Joey Russ said:

1. Grobler or msc vs Book or An Fear Beag

Ooh, can Book do it, says this unbiased spectator... :D

19 minutes ago, msc said:

Ooh, can Book do it, says this unbiased spectator... :D

image.png.3855a2f3a58c9455e3502a4db62dd897.png

:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have put my cup team in for April which probably means one of my opponent's team will die

I'd already taken him off any preliminary April team because his son said he was improving. So that's pretty lucky.

Yeah, Spade vs Grim isn’t really much of a horse race now, isn’t it? Spade’s already up by 9 which really seems to dampen Grim’s chances of moving on. If he has one consolation, it’s that he currently doesn’t have the biggest squonking of the round. Meanwhile, Clorox is actually making a bit of a comeback, though he’s still behind in his match. Still, it’s not over until it’s over...

2. Grobler vs msc 0 - 12

9. HDS vs Clorox Bleachman 12 - 9

14. Banana vs GreatUncleBulgaria 16 - 6

15. Spade_Cooley vs Grim Up North 18 - 9

• Like 2

See Grim, what did I tell you? You don’t have the biggest squonking of this round. 
Unfortunately for GreatUncleBulgaria, they are now down a whopping 14 points against Banana. That’s just the way it goes sometimes though. 

2. Grobler vs msc 0 - 12

9. HDS vs Clorox Bleachman 12 - 9

14. Banana vs GreatUncleBulgaria 20 - 6

15. Spade_Cooley vs Grim Up North 18 - 9

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

See Grim, what did I tell you? You don’t have the biggest squonking of this round. 

:D To put it into some kind of context only 7 teams out of 32 have scored more than me so I'm not accepting it as a squonking - just a massacre. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Nabindra Raj Joshi is dead

• Like 1

Joshi does lead to a lot of interesting scores for different ties, in different ways of course. For GreatUncleBulgaria and Grim Up North, well, I can only say sometimes a team doesn’t stand a chance as Banana and Spade are now 17 and 12 points behind respectively. In fact, Banana’s score of 23 points might be an individual record for the most points scored in one match (although I’m not certain about this). Meanwhile, An Fear Beag had Joshi on his team. Unfortunately for him so does Book, so the tie is still effectively the same with Book moving on to round 3 unless Fear Beag gets another differential hit. Annami does get to claw back some of his 11 point deficit against DDT but it might be a little bit too late to make a comeback. 
That doesn’t mean a comeback isn’t possible though. Take a look at Clorox here. Early on it seemed like he might’ve been doomed to be on the sidelines for round 3 with HDS’ early hits of Jim Crockett Jr and Luis Palau. However, Clorox first had the racehorse trainer Wayne DaCosta to close up his 6 point deficit. Now he gets his second hit with Joshi, and because the older of his two picks (DaCosta at 65) is younger than the younger of HDS’ two picks (Crockett at 76), Clorox has now taken the lead! Of course, there’s still a few days to go, but as it is, definitely a great job by him. 

2. Grobler vs msc 0 - 12

6. Book vs An Fear Beag 12 - 12

9. HDS vs Clorox Bleachman 12 - 12

11. DevonDeathTrip vs Annami 17 - 9

14. Banana vs GreatUncleBulgaria 23 - 6

15. Spade_Cooley vs Grim Up North 21 - 9

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

23-6 (17) is also a bigger winning margin than the 16-0 loss Squonk suffered.

1 minute ago, Spade_Cooley said:

23-6 (17) is also a bigger winning margin than the 16-0 loss Squonk suffered.

That is true. However that still isn’t the worse squonking to date as both John Key and Bibliogryphon lost by 21 points in one of their matches. Both in April too I believe

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some said it would never happen. Others suggested that little understood laws of the universe meant it was not possible. What is it that has challenged such great minds for so many years? Time travel? Evidence of extra-terrestrial lifeforms? Exceeding the speed of light? The immortality of Clive Dunn?? No, it was in fact the idea that Bibliogryphon could actually score a point in a cup round. However, beloved author Beverly Cleary has died, and because of that the unthinkable actually happened. As such, Bibliogryphon takes the lead against Etush in his cup match!

He doesn’t get a unique hit however as Markb4 also had Cleary on his team. A bit of a consolation in his matchup I would say. 

2. Grobler vs msc 0 - 12

7. Markb4 vs maryportfuncity 3 - 6

16. Bibliogryphon vs EtushIsPushingUpTheDaisies 3 - 0

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Some said it would never happen. Others suggested that little understood laws of the universe meant it was not possible. What is it that has challenged such great minds for so many years? Time travel? Evidence of extra-terrestrial lifeforms? Exceeding the speed of light? The immortality of Clive Dunn?? No, it was in fact the idea that Bibliogryphon could actually score a point in a cup round. However, beloved author Beverly Cleary has died, and because of that the unthinkable actually happened. As such, Bibliogryphon takes the lead against Etush in his cup match!

He doesn’t get a unique hit however as Markb4 also had Cleary on his team. A bit of a consolation in his matchup I would say. 

2. Grobler vs msc 0 - 12

OOOhhh 

Squeaky bum time in the MPFC dug-out as the coaches turn to each other and ask how the fuck Jack Arends is still breathing

Imagine my humiliation when DOE pops his clogs on Tuesday and I lose out because he is a 'younger' hit.

• Haha 3

So being a host gets you in a bit of a massive disadvantage. As you look at my team in general, it is filled with a lot more punt picks because there wasn’t very many sure bets around, and it was basically a casual match in February so no names I could steal. So I expected no points this round. 
However, because cult Romanian musician Rodion Rosca has died (and there’s also one obit in English), I actually get to sneak in a unique hit before the month ends. A bit of a consolation for my team that never really stood a chance...

2. Grobler vs msc 0 - 12

9. HDS vs Clorox Bleachman 12 - 12

10. DeathByArsenic vs Joey Russ 6 - 4

Presumptuous as fuck 

The MPFC April team are currently attempting to check into the hotel!

• Like 1