Joey Russ

The 2021 Deathlist Cup

Thank you and congrats, @DevonDeathTrip! You turned out to be way too tough opponent like I expected. Good luck for the third round!

I am pretty satisfied with my own game since I did way better than the first time, so maybe next year I'll get to the third round. :D

• Like 1

Did my sub for Beverly Cleary go in.

I only count ten entries for me

I feel like this could be a scrappy round, not too many obvious names on their deathbed out there. One for the purists rather than the casuals.

• Like 2

Well @maryportfuncityand I have two overlaps who are probably on the more likely to go but I can't work out which other picks will go first. Could be a big scorer or it could be another single hit win.

Congratulations to @deadsox for making it to the 3rd round! Good luck to you during the rest of the game! Thanks Joey for running this game in a timely and excellent manner. 

• Like 1

Congrats to Banana for slaughtering me (again!).

• Haha 1

Breaking down the Book v msc match up

Msc

Angelicoussis - Shipping magnate, had a massive HA a fortnight ago and was in serious condition then. My last choice was him or Menounos. 

Burquest (unique) - The obligatory "still alive?" pick

Cain - Scraping the bottom of the barrel pick, a high school football coach -  The type people keep scoring against me with! I told Joey it was a "very Banana type pick" and there goes Banana's unique...

Champagne - drummer, covid, deteriorated and on ventilator.

Hickox - low budget film maker that Peter Andre very nicely told the world was in a coma. 

Lubbock - some talk earlier in month of having "weeks left".

Raboteau - Reptile posted last month the guy was on his last legs.

Book

Arends - dying American politician. Terminally ill but not sure what with.

Reuven Bulka - Advanced pancreatic cancer

Shalom Kadosh - Chef, critical condition. Look at his other pickers, could be a bad miss for me on paper.

Langhans (unique) - Filmmaker with terminal cancer

Litsa Menounos - In hospice care now, apparently - likely to be my biggest error of the month.

Philip Mickenbaucker - the YouTube guy, my lack of German might have made me miss Langhhans and Mickenbaucker updates.

Prince Philip - If he dies now because I dropped him, Gooseberry will be talking about enemas for years! 

Both

Bjelland - Popular hospice dwelling singer.

Dole - popular A list politician with advanced cancer.

Kasvi - imo Arghtons local knowledge for ailing Nordic picks one of the best additions to the forum in some time, and I see a few of us picked up on this hospice dwelling seriously ill Finn.

Timoteo (joker of both) - Singer seriously ill with covid. I picked my joker at random, so am amazed Book came up with the exact same one. 

So it is 7 vs 7, and on paper imo Book's 7 differentials look stronger, but I think it could be close. Watch me lose a 22 point Squonking now! 

• Like 3

Incidentally - I'm missing a joker on the masterlist - Bjelland is clearly marked on the message I sent. 

She's looking surprised at her current popularity on the DL Cup

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKL85j1bh8lRbApnxCcyH

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

:D:mellow:

17 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Commiserations to YorkshireBanker, Grobler, Djemba, theoldlady, ThereWillBeDeaths, Fear Beag, markb4, Wormfarmer, HDS, me, Annami, Baby Blue, BuffaloPhil, GreatUncleBulgaria, Grim, and Etush. Better luck next year? 

On to round 3!

Wait!  No!  I didnt lose!  This election was rigged!  The deaths my opponent received were bogus mail in deaths!  I demand a recount!  I wont go.  I won this matchup!  It was stolen from me!!  Somebody better find me 7 points out there!! :D:D

• Haha 3

Congrats to Quim.  I knew i was in trouble from the starting gun.  I'll be bach.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Did my sub for Beverly Cleary go in.

I only count ten entries for me

Yeah, not the only error that was made when making the masterlist. I might check to make sure all of your entries are correct this time. 

• Thanks 1

And Philipp Mickenbecker, not -baucker :P

Right, let’s have a look at this R3 clash: The Quim Reaper V deadsox

The Quim Reaper

Best performance: Quarter Finalist, 2019. Won last round against Wormfarmer, 6-0. 

Tony Bennett - Unique. Thought he would be. Just a hunch his dementia might be further along than we perhaps thought.

James Lovelock - Unique. Legendary scientist, old. Opined that he was in the last % of his life last year, or about 1% of his life ago.

Josip Manolic - Unique. I figured that I’m quite good at the Oldest Living State Leaders Deadpool and he’s my current pick in that. That’s as far as my logic got with that. 

Pat Martino - Unique. A name I threw in because I was most surprised he was still alive. Also picked by Joey and GUN last round so can’t be all that fucking stupid a pick.

Tom Parker - Unique. Punted, just incase his slightly shrunken tumour isn’t as good news for him as we think it is.

Leslie Phillips - Only me and Bib picked this cadaver. Got to be his time at some point, surely?!

Susie Steiner - Am reasonably confident she’s had it, backed up further by Spade and Reptile picking her.

Miguel van Damme (JOKER) - Unique. If he dies, I’ll be in a fine position indeed. But the fact that only I picked him probably means I’ve missed some good news about him. He’s probably made a full recovery and is climbing Everest for charity.

Frank Williams - It’s been a sad year for motorsport so far - Walker, Schmitz, Dumfries...ah who am I kidding, Sir Frank will be fine. Stupid pick.

Notes: I honestly could’ve sworn blind that you couldn’t pick people for consecutive months. In my defence, my last couple of weeks have been utterly manic and exhausting. If I’d have had a firm grasp of the rules, I’d have put Bjelland, Dole, Kasvi, Whale and Ximenez in the places of T Bennett, Lovelock, Manolic, Parker and Williams. Anyway, excuses over - I’m fucked.

deadsox 

Best performance: Champion, 2017. Won last round against theoldlady on a coin toss, 0-0.

Kat Bjelland - Yeah, probably minutes from death. Would’ve been my joker had I not made a big throbbing cunt job of understanding the rules. 

Rob Bolland - Unique. Don’t know who he is or why he’s here, but then I’m an amateur.

Lawrence Brooks - Unique. 111, so clearly can’t be written off. 

Reuven Bulka - A fucking Rabbi from Ottawa who’s shitting cancer. How does one find names like this, please?

Bob Dole - Yeah. Geezer has a couple of months, tops. Looked like he was about to die even before the cancer diagnosis. Should’ve featured on my team.

Hester Ford - Unique. Oldest living person in the US, at 115. Figures.

Jyrki Kasvi (JOKER) - Yet another name I should’ve had. A likely 6-pointer to slap me about the chops with.

Prince Philip - Well, I wouldn’t have said so but plenty would. 

James Whale - Surprised he’s still alive. Also tossed this tosser from my team when I didn’t want to.

Notes: A strong looking lineup. Only very bad luck will lose this team the place in the QF, I reckon. Not as many uniques as my team, but definitely more reasonably safe bets. I’d like to wish deadsox all the very best in his draw against either Banana or AOG (for my money, probably the former).

Common Picks:

Jana Bennett - Staggeringly still alive.

Yu Mo-Lin - Or however it’s spelled. Popular.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Wormfarmer said:

Congrats to Quim.  I knew i was in trouble from the starting gun.  I'll be bach.

Cheers, and commiserations - our round very much could’ve gone either way.

To all the people picking Mila Ximenez, Antonio Inoki and Yu Mo-Lin, good luck to you!

• Like 1

On 01/04/2021 at 07:16, Book said:

I'm really sorry, actually you should have won, you lost 2 picks so close to the start ... and winning because of the age bonus doesn't feel right either!

No need to be sorry at all - you won fair and square by the well-established rules of the game. No complaints here.

A wise person (or maybe it was msc?) told me last year that you needed a bit of luck to win the cup and it is true. Last year I rode my luck to the final, avoiding the big-hitters along the way, before eventually catching Death Impends on a very rare off-day. This year my luck ran out - it was bound to happen eventually. 

2 picks dying hours before the start line wasn't ideal. Peter Lorimer NOT dying before the start line also may have hurt me, as my back-up Joker would have scored. Joey's very harsh rejection of another pick (who died and got lots of coverage because she was so famous, Joey:tantrum:) also dented my chances. But to be honest, I compounded all of my bad luck with a suicidally cavalier attitude towards subs, so I've no-one to blame but myself. Against a lot of other opponents I would have got away with it, as 12 points will win a lot of matches in this game. But against a top player like yourself, I was always going to have to be on top of my game to get through, and unfortunately that wasn't the case.

• Like 2

I just returned from a 10 day hunting trip with no access to internet to be pleasantly surprised by still being in the tournament.  Commiseration to the old lady.  Obviously it was only luck that got me by you.

Winning a coin toss in a 0-0 tie gives me a strange sense of deja vu.

Best of luck to my esteemed opponent the Quim Reaper.

On 31/03/2021 at 19:15, The Quim Reaper said:

Okay, so I had it in my head that you couldn’t carry over your picks from last round. So basically more than half of the team I submitted wouldn’t have made the cut.

Bugger, bollocks and arse.

Lady Luck is still my girl!

• Like 1

So Agnaldo Timoteo has died and needs an english obit. He's been picked 7 times, but funnily, is only relevant in Cpt. Chorizo's match. 

Yeah, three matchups had Timoteo on both sides, including both Book and msc cashing in their joker for the match. Chorizo however takes the lead in his match against DDT. Regardless, we finally got some points on the board which looks like this:

1. DevonDeathTrip vs CaptainChorizo 0 - 3

2. Spade_Cooley vs Clorox Bleachman 3 - 3

3. Perhaps vs Gcreptile 3 - 3

4. msc vs Book 6 - 6 

5. Banana vs alt obits guy 0 - 0

6. maryportfuncity vs Bibliogryphon 0 - 0

7. Quim Reaper vs deadsox 0 - 0

8. DeathByArsenic vs YorkshireBanker 0 - 0

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

1. Quim Reaper vs Theoldlady 0 - 0

You mean deadsox?