Joey Russ

The 2021 Deathlist Cup

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

Does that make it 11-11 at half time? Cup final thriller!

I think I'm about 6 years spread over three hits ahead on age. Which is basically the same as msc's defence having one more yellow card or something.

His joker is definitely the biggest factor in the game. If it strikes, I'd need two unique hits to counter (and gain the number of hits tiebreaker). One of them is pretty likely going to be David Gulpilil. The other one would have to be Alan Igglesden, Shakti Mishra or Sandra Richardson (and that is without any additional hit by msc!). My own joker is pretty much only "nice to have", as long as I am ahead on the tiebreakers anyway.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2021 at 13:33, msc said:

Saranya - Highly popular actress... in India where she's the equivalent of a Patsy Kensit type.

By the way, I noticed that there are at least two Saranyas. One of them being extremely popular actress Saranya Ponvannan. The other, more minor, Saranya Sasi, is the one I picked - and msc as well, I would believe - as she is the one with COVID and brain cancer.

No, not dead, but an update on the most important pick this round, Russian singer Maksim:

https://ria.ru/20210719/maksim-1741783647.html

Stable, but serious, still in coma. Minimal improvements recently, but there has been a little up-and-down in the past weeks.

Her manager also warned not to believe in health updates as the personel is not allowed to give out information. So the damage to her lungs, rumours or true?

Can't believe neither of us had another hit recently, but they seem to come in a bunch.

On 19/07/2021 at 13:53, gcreptile said:

No, not dead, but an update on the most important pick this round, Russian singer Maksim:

https://ria.ru/20210719/maksim-1741783647.html

Stable, but serious, still in coma. Minimal improvements recently, but there has been a little up-and-down in the past weeks.

Her manager also warned not to believe in health updates as the personel is not allowed to give out information. So the damage to her lungs, rumours or true?

Can't believe neither of us had another hit recently, but they seem to come in a bunch.

Maksim supposedly out of coma and in "clear conciousness"... to be believed by about as much as those lung damage reports:

https://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta/Futbol/Russia/premier_league/spbnews_NI1379430_Spartak_vyrazil_podderzhku_pevice_MakSim_vyvedennoj_iz_komy

I think its nearly yours now tbh.

I ..think... your best bet is Sasha Johnson now. Your journalist apparently was a "I'm too sick for prison" thing and Bob Dole seems to be okay for a few more weeks, but can't be ruled out. 

Sasha Johnson would also make you win on age grounds if I get another hit. I haven't heard anything on her lately, and neither seems the whole internet.

The last thing I heard was a successful second operation in June. But that didnt really got her out of hospital, it seems.

No, not dead, but here's a Shakti Mishra update - I'm trying to give the commentator's illusion that there is a lot going on:

https://ommcomnews.com/odisha-news/odia-singer-shakti-mishra-seeks-financial-support-for-liver-transplant

He's still in critical condition with three blockages in his heart and the need for an immediate liver transplant. Now he and his family call for financial support. Still a reasonable hit for the final days of the month - but then, someone who's been in critical condition for a whole month might easily last for a few more days.

I haven’t updated this in days because my motivation has been pretty wiped recently. But yeah, in a turn of events Reptile does end up winning the cup with a win via the age tiebreaker! So congrats to him. 
In other news, I have 0 plans on hosting another cup season again, and am also seriously considering transferring crowdsource list ownership too, although that one isn’t 100% decided yet. So if you want the cup to continue, please take over. I’m sure you’ll run it 100 times better than I ran it this year...

• Thanks 4

Well, truthfully, no update was needed ;).

An exciting first half gave way to a dull second half.

Thanks a lot Joey for hosting once more. Not the easiest job, having to check teams and write the masterlist at the turn of the month six/seven months in a row. A fun idea, that can also be a pain in the ass, for host and players alike. 

I'll take the win nonetheless! But I can't help feeling being a bit lucky that all my opponents, one heavy hitter after another, just stayed slightly below their possibilities, allowing me to just slip into the next round - with the closest result right at the end. Both msc and I expected a lot more this round.

It's probably the only deadpool I win this year, so I am glad it all worked out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations @gcreptile, really well done!

msc: You also did play very well (to my disadvantage :lol:)!

And Joey, thanks for hosting again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well done, Reptile! :clap:

Thanks for hosting as well Joey. Well, I was too "deadpooled out" to enter a team, so I definitely understand that running it was quite draining. Still a great pool to follow even from a bystander perspective, so certainly hope to see it live on.

• Thanks 2

Congratulations Reptile. The best man won!

Thanks for running my baby, Joey. You did very well. I'd offer to take it back but understandably I'd quite like a deadpool hosting rest in 2022!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just got back from the woods to see that Reptile has won the cup.  Congratulations on a great run.

• Like 2

Congratulations Reptile! Well done! 

• Like 4

Congrats Reptile - doubtless your achievement will knock Team GB's 50+ medal toll off the front pages tomorrow!

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Congrats Reptile - doubtless your achievement will knock Team GB's 50+ medal toll off the front pages tomorrow!

I hear that Deadpooling is being considered as an Olympic sport for 2028.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I hear that Deadpooling is being considered as an Olympic sport for 2028.

Any competitor can be submitted to an anti-doping control before, during or at the end of a pool.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MariNisia said:

Any competitor can be submitted to an anti-doping control before, during or at the end of a pool.

But as you can see...

On 10/12/2015 at 16:30, DevonDeathTrip said:

As I've mentioned before, picking an Irish person, a folk/country musician, a criminal and a religious leader always works well for me.

The other sixteen names will have to wait until Boxing Day evening. when I shall complete my annual ritual of taking a small amount of peyote, before getting drunk - and I mean really drunk - on whatever spirits I can lay my hands on and then waiting for the visions of who is going to die next year to appear before me. That usually does the trick.

I suffer for my art. :mellow:

As per tradition, peyote is on the allowed substances list of course.

PS Where's the folkie in 2021, DDT? I can count the Irish, the criminal and the religious leader!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, msc said:

But as you can see...

PS Where's the folkie in 2021, DDT? I can count the Irish, the criminal and the religious leader!

Belinda Sykes seems to have shades of folkie in her oeuvre?

• Thanks 1

Congrats to you, Reptile! This is a difficult game, so quite the feat.

5 hours ago, msc said:

@msc... I've been thinking a little bit about your intelligent question. :scratchhead:

And I was thinking Al Stewart, maybe?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MariNisia said:

@msc... I've been thinking a little bit about your intelligent question. :scratchhead:

And I was thinking Al Stewart, maybe?

Ah, I see you’re not familiar with the Derby Dead Pool at all...

9 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Ah, I see you’re not familiar with the Derby Dead Pool at all...

Yes... @Joey Russ... you're right.

But I'm ready to learn, and I'm a fast learner. :D

• Like 1

21 hours ago, msc said:

But as you can see...

Yes Sykes ploughs quite a folky furrow, so she ticked that box.   I have failed to include all four in the past, but do try.  Also there's a dreadful gender imbalance in deadpooling and I like to include women in my squads.

Looking forward to my Boxing Day binge :D

PS congrats Reptile and thanks Joey for running the show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1