Sign in to follow this  
DevonDeathTrip

The Roaring Twenties

There was a great article in the Guardian the other day about how we can look forward to a post covid renaissance, as and when we overcome the pandemic.  The summers of 2023 and 2024 in particular were forecast to be extra hedonistic, with packed events, increased spending and sexual freedom high on the agenda.

So I thought I'd make a thread about it. 

How is life going to change post covid?  I don't think things will ever be the same again, nor do I believe that is a bad thing.  My prediction is that homeworking will become the norm, that cannabis will be legalised as a tax raising measure and that we will inadvertently discover a cure for the common cold in our efforts to cure covid.   Trust in central government will be greatly diminished and young people, with very good reason, are going to rebel on a grand scale 

Might liberal attitudes even cause deadpooling to become more socially acceptable? :unsure:

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

extra hedonistic, with packed events, increased spending and sexual freedom high on the agenda.

There's a lady at #14 I'm particularly hoping will feel this way. Although she'd probably say she'd felt increased libido, not gone blind.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

There's a lady at #14 I'm particularly hoping will feel this way. Although she'd probably say she'd felt increased libido, not gone blind.

June Brown?

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

There was a great article in the Guardian the other day about how we can look forward to a post covid renaissance, as and when we overcome the pandemic.  The summers of 2023 and 2024 in particular were forecast to be extra hedonistic, with packed events, increased spending and sexual freedom high on the agenda.

So I thought I'd make a thread about it. 

How is life going to change post covid?  I don't think things will ever be the same again, nor do I believe that is a bad thing.  My prediction is that homeworking will become the norm, that cannabis will be legalised as a tax raising measure and that we will inadvertently discover a cure for the common cold in our efforts to cure covid.   Trust in central government will be greatly diminished and young people, with very good reason, are going to rebel on a grand scale 

Might liberal attitudes even cause deadpooling to become more socially acceptable? :unsure:

I agree about home working, employers have now realised that some roles can be done entirely from home with no difference in the service or quality delivered, and indeed speaking for myself, I am much more productive working from home. My employers also got a fucking bargain out of me, I kept timesheets last year and on average I was working an extra full day a week for free.  Less overheads for employers, more productive and happier employees, they’d be daft not to make it the norm for those roles where it’s possible.  I acknowledge that not everybody will be able to and that I am in quite a fortunate position. 

1 hour ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I agree about home working, employers have now realised that some roles can be done entirely from home with no difference in the service or quality delivered, and indeed speaking for myself, I am much more productive working from home. My employers also got a fucking bargain out of me, I kept timesheets last year and on average I was working an extra full day a week for free.  Less overheads for employers, more productive and happier employees, they’d be daft not to make it the norm for those roles where it’s possible.  I acknowledge that not everybody will be able to and that I am in quite a fortunate position. 

Yes, and I can see redundant office buildings in city centres being converted into housing, which will hopefully prevent some of our countryside being swallowed up by housebuilding.

• Like 1

A few of my friends work for a large finance firm who have discontinued the lease on their city centre office building. The staff are split 50/50 on loving or hating the idea, I can't see a downside personally but some people do really get a buzz from the social parts of work (shudder).

As for hedonism... I bloody hope so. I've not enjoyed my government mandated celibacy one bit. 

I said since day 1 that 'buffet style' restaurants are dinosaurs.  Who in their right mind is going to attend one of those?  It's sad cuz who didn't love a good old Chinese buffet?  The Chinese restaurant owners should close shop and re-open in mini store fronts conducive to strictly takeaway.  
There are certainly dozens of other things but that one seemed painfully obvious when this all went down and nothing got better by summer.
That goes for all buffet style places -- I loved Golden Corral (they had JUST remodeled late in 2019 here in Lafayette).  There has been no hint of that reopening.  It, like all buffets, are dead. 
SC

If anyone got into bitcoin at the start and is still holding it now, well done to them, they must have nerves of steel. If anyone is thinking of getting into it at these levels they are insane. I prefer my bubbles to be based on something in real life, like Tesla for instance.

I read something that we are now stuck in 3rd quarter syndrome. i.e. we are entering the third quarter of what is probably a 2-year pandemic, and the end is in sight, but practically speaking still several months or more away. So freedom is on the way but people feel depressed because they cannot yet experience it. In terms of a sexual revolution, there may be many who will demand a covid or antibody test from their paramours before engaging in a one-night ding dong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

In terms of a sexual revolution, there may be many who will demand a covid or antibody test from their paramours before engaging in a one-night ding dong

It was not done during the AIDS beginnings so I don't see it being done now and by the time they get to the ding-dong session fluids will have already been exchanged.

• Like 1

Well with AIDS you could wear a condom. For Covid you'd have to wear a full body suit, which would make the act itself rather difficult to perform.

5 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

For Covid you'd have to wear a full body suit, which would make the act itself rather difficult to perform.

Oh you poor innocent you don't have to have a pandemic for that :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

their paramours

Yes!  Someone else using this lovely word instead of the unromantic (and stolen) "partner".

• Like 1

Fuck, i really don't care what's going to happen, I just want to attend footy matches every weekend again. 

• Like 2

Similarly I, and no doubt others including the good man Maryport, are very much missing live music.  This is the longest I’ve been without a gig of some sort for ages. 

19 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Similarly I, and no doubt others including the good man Maryport, are very much missing live music.  This is the longest I’ve been without a gig of some sort for ages. 

Me too.

Hoping the BST Hyde Park festival goes ahead in July, as have booked for Duran Duran, Chic and Grace Jones.  Should be a fun day if it comes off.

When was the last gig anyone saw before lochdown?   I saw a Pink Floyd tribute band in a concert hall on Feb 27, and then stopped at a 80+ seat pub where a local band was playing to support Women's Aid/Refuge in Carlsbad, NM sometime about a week later, and the place was full.  I'm sure I mentioned the Pink Floyd thing on the What Bands Have You Seen thread.

Supergrass at the Cheese and Grain in Frome on 1st February 2020. 

Ezra Furman at the Kentish Town Forum in November.

It had been a while so was itching to go to a gig and while I don't usually bother with tribute bands, we were poised to see The Doors Alive when everything fell apart. 

The venue obstinately refused to cancel the gig and people were worried about going, and angry about not getting refunds if they didn't go.  It was settled by the band cancelling, but it did leave a nasty taste.

8 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

When was the last gig anyone saw before lochdown?   I saw a Pink Floyd tribute band in a concert hall on Feb 27, and then stopped at a 80+ seat pub where a local band was playing to support Women's Aid/Refuge in Carlsbad, NM sometime about a week later, and the place was full.  I'm sure I mentioned the Pink Floyd thing on the What Bands Have You Seen thread.

Twenty One Pilots in december 2019. Feels like ages though. Damn, I miss live music too.

On 03/01/2021 at 08:06, DevonDeathTrip said:

How is life going to change post covid?  I don't think things will ever be the same again, nor do I believe that is a bad thing.  My prediction is that homeworking will become the norm, that cannabis will be legalised as a tax raising measure and that we will inadvertently discover a cure for the common cold in our efforts to cure covid.  

Pfizer are reportedly developing a single pill cure for covid 19, which could potentially cure colds as well.   

Taking the long view, might the costs saved as a result of this happening eventually mitigate the (financial) cost of covid?

14 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Pfizer are reportedly developing a single pill cure for covid 19, which could potentially cure colds as well.   

Taking the long view, might the costs saved as a result of this happening eventually mitigate the (financial) cost of covid?

Not if they charge too much for it.

10 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

We all need to do our bit and each drink 124 pints of beer this summer to save the pub trade.  

A quick read of the article and you'll realise that non-alcoholic drinks such as fruit juices and coke are acceptable alternatives -  just not water. So no need to rush down and drink beer to oblivion this summer. A few glasses of orange juice with Sunday lunch is sufficient. 

59 minutes ago, Boring Bob said:

A quick read of the article and you'll realise that non-alcoholic drinks such as fruit juices and coke are acceptable alternatives -  just not water. So no need to rush down and drink beer to oblivion this summer. A few glasses of orange juice with Sunday lunch is sufficient. 

Your name really was well-chosen, wasn't it.

• Haha 1