Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

Pop culture you've merged in your head

The death of Stacy Title brought the film The Last Supper into my mind for the first time in ages, and I went "oh yeah, that's where Linda Fiorentino fucks some people at a dinner party or something". Except it wasn't, that was The Last Seduction. Having never watched either, my brain has for 25 years fused those two films (where Fiorentino does the "skin flick meets classic noir deal", and where Cameron Diaz and friends murder right-wingers at a series of dinner parties) into one.

This happens a lot, so please share examples of you turning two pieces of pop cultural debris into one here. You don't need to do "Bill Pullman/Bill Paxton" confusions, those are given.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, xXConmanXx said:

idk lol

All that effort from @Spade_Cooley in this interesting idea, for this. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

All that effort from @Spade_Cooley in this interesting idea, for this. 

bUt i cAnT tHiNk oF aNyThInG

1 minute ago, xXConmanXx said:

bUt i cAnT tHiNk oF aNyThInG

dOn’T pOsT tHeN yOu FuCkInG tOiLeT

• Haha 5

When compiling my list of living musicians who saw 50s US chart success, I forgot to add Johnny Tillotson until the last minute because my mind had fused him and Jimmy Clanton into one person.

• Like 2

I only discovered a couple of years ago that the rhytmn used in that satanic crazy frog song was from Beverly Hills Cops. I always thought that the rhytmn used was created for the song. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

The death of Stacy Title brought the film The Last Supper into my mind for the first time in ages, and I went "oh yeah, that's where Linda Fiorentino fucks some people at a dinner party or something". Except it wasn't, that was The Last Seduction. Having never watched either, my brain has for 25 years fused those two films (where Fiorentino does the "skin flick meets classic noir deal", and where Cameron Diaz and friends murder right-wingers at a series of dinner parties) into one.

This happens a lot, so please share examples of you turning two pieces of pop cultural debris into one here. You don't need to do "Bill Pullman/Bill Paxton" confusions, those are given.

I think you may be going a tad highbrow for many twats members on here.

I always confused Last Tango in Paris with Don't Look Now.

Even though I have seen Don't Look Now, I have had the notion that a bisexual Brando fucked both Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland using butter as a lubricant before getting murdered by a blood crazed midget that he relentlessly followed around the back alleys and bridges of Venice, or summat.

I shall get me coat.

2 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Even though I have seen Last Tango in Paris, I have had the notion that a bisexual Brando fucked both Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland using butter as a lubricant before getting murdered by a blood crazed midget that he relentlessly followed around the back alleys and bridges of Venice, or summat.

I shall get me coat.

I did legit watch Sorcerer because I had mixed it up with a so bad its good SF/fantasy film from the 70s about wizards with guns. Wizards that one was called. Sorcerer is instead about Roy Schieder trying to drive a truck through the Colombian jungle while escaping a hitman. Wiliam Freidkin 70s "box office flop".

Anyhow, I lucked out, because Sorcerer's a fucking amazing film, and I wouldn't have seen it at all if not for this misunderstanding!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

I did legit watch Sorcerer because I had mixed it up with a so bad its good SF/fantasy film from the 70s about wizards with guns. Wizards that one was called. Sorcerer is instead about Roy Schieder trying to drive a truck through the Colombian jungle while escaping a hitman. Wiliam Freidkin 70s "box office flop".

Anyhow, I lucked out, because Sorcerer's a fucking amazing film, and I wouldn't have seen it at all if not for this misunderstanding!

I need to edit my post, I meant to say that I've seen Don't Look Now!

I've not seen Last Tango in Paris.

Is it any good?

2 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I need to edit my post, I meant to say that I've seen Don't Look Now!

I've not seen Last Tango in Paris.

Is it any good?

Not seen Last Tango, just know about it. Seen Dont Look Now, long ago before we actually wound up with a wean of our own here.

• Like 1

I always used to get The Firm and  A Few Good Men mixed up.  Ditto Jagged Edge and No Way Out but not sure why that would be. 

They next ones are just because of the names.

I remember one when I was a child and my mum asked me what we'd done at school and I told we'd watched Barbarella, a few careful questions revealed we'd actually watched  Barbapapa and I am never allowed to forget that.

Another time I recommended Flowers for Algernon to someone and they got it confused with Flowers in the Attic and were quite disturbed I'd recommended a book about infanticide and incest to them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Even though I have seen Don't Look Now, I have had the notion that a bisexual Brando fucked both Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland using butter as a lubricant before getting murdered by a blood crazed midget that he relentlessly followed around the back alleys and bridges of Venice, or summat.

I shall get me coat.

I get Don't Look Now mixed up with Death In Venice.  Probably because Don't Look Now is about death In Venice.

• Like 2

I watched Ronin, then a couple of weeks later started watching it again, thinking I'd previously watched 47 Ronin. I knew I'd watched one of them already (I still haven't watched 47 Ronin).

8 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

It's only on reading this again that I realise I have merged The Last Supper with Very Bad Things. 

2 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I shall get me coat.

At least you are not confusing it with TV series Last Tango in Halifax. Now that would be a weird combination.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, msc said:

One of my favorite movie soundtracks too, by Tangerine Dream.

On the topic, when I was a kid I got very confused by the pop group Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam. When I saw that name crop up in the charts I thought it was just describing some musical collaboration between The Cult and Lisa Lisa (whoever she was). Wasn’t until years later I actually got that straightened out, but I still tend to lump them both together in my head even though their musical styles are totally different.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, msc said:

That film introduced Tangerine Dream to the mainstream. 

7 hours ago, DemBones said:

One of my favorite movie soundtracks too, by Tangerine Dream.

On the topic, when I was a kid I got very confused by the pop group Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam. When I saw that name crop up in the charts I thought it was just describing some musical collaboration between The Cult and Lisa Lisa (whoever she was). Wasn’t until years later I actually got that straightened out, but I still tend to lump them both together in my head even though their musical styles are totally different.

Music's a whole 'nother bag. For instance I still refuse to believe The View and The Twang were different bands.

The rock and Armageddon movies never watched either movie. I got both the movies plots switched around. Only until last month when I started watching the rock and wondering were Bruce Willis and the space scenes were. 

Carla Lane and Lynda La Plante.

Indistinguishable writing imo, thought they were the same person for years. :blink:

And I've said before Des O'Connor and Val Doonican. Probably because they had similar sets for their tv shows (chat?) in the 1970s.

I always mix up Jessica Biel and Jessica Alba. For me they look the same, do the same movies and are both not very relevant actresses. Probably that's why.
One is married to one of those Justins but I never know which one. It doesn't matter, because they are one person anyway :lol:

Muse, Kasabian, Kings of Leon, all the same to me. Likewise, all those Ed Sheeran clones from a few years back. Just a big bland amorphous blob in my mind.