Death Watch Beatle

Dave Swarbrick (And Fairport Convention)

I'm a big Fairport fan too, seen them live a couple of times (and been flirted with by Simon and Peggy) but not made it to Cropredy yet. I'm hoping to get there next year for my 40th.

Swarb has to be a potential with his past health problems though he seems to be doing ok now. I like the fact he took his premature obituary in good humour.

He also has a rarely-used but serviceable thread http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=102

He's starting work on his autobiography.

He's starting work on his autobiography.

Which is almost certain to be a really good look at a truly ground-breaking time in British folk-rock.

Deleted in rare moment of empathy.

Health update on Dave Swarbrick.

25th January

Dave is still going steadily. He is having some dialysis today to help his tired kidneys for a bit. He had this after the transplant in 2004. He is snoozing at the moment and all is in hand. Good to see Maart and Jan Allcock yesterday xx shame he didn't bring a guitar : )

Later : A much better day. On dialysis to help his tired kidneys and spells of breathing without help from the ventilator. He took drugs orally for first time rather than intravenously. Very, very tired, of course. He slept through most of the afternoon and then listened, smiling, to "Lion Rampant"* on my iphone.

* A non-conventional folk reggae epic

I really hope he pulls through. Swarbrick is a legend and the world will be a much poorer place without him. Nobody comes up with tunes like Sir B MacKenzie any more:

This year seems to be doing a number on those who have lingered with ill health for a while. Someone check Chris Rea's pulse.

This year seems to be doing a number on those who have lingered with ill health for a while. Someone check Chris Rea's pulse.

Thought the same myself earlier in the year to Maryport's horror - I think he's an outlier for the Whipple etc.. Good on him!

R. I. P. Man who played violin very good.

Sad loss this one. Always loved Fairport Convention since the first song of theirs I heard.

• Like 1

Well. Played violin very WELL. :banghead:

Another person I've seen live to cross off my list.

• Like 1

I thought he played cello.

I thought he played cello.

I think his post was very goodly.

According to some friends I spoke to this evening, Jerry Donahue is in a bad way after suffering a serious stroke a few months ago. The prognosis doesn't sound that good.

According to some friends I spoke to this evening, Jerry Donahue is in a bad way after suffering a serious stroke a few months ago. The prognosis doesn't sound that good.

Sometime in July, aye.

: "Dad suffered an ischemic stroke with hemorrhagic conversion. Every doctor who's looked at his chart is amazed that he survived. So, for that, we're truly grateful.

"However, he has global aphasia, which makes it incredibly difficult to communicate and is, as you can imagine, very frustrating. His occupational therapist said she'd never before worked with someone with his level of aphasia.

"He also has right-side paralysis and his doctor said he will probably never play the guitar again. This being said, my dad has made progress regaining muscle control on the right-side and we are not giving up on him."

Mentioning Maartin Allcock’s death here for completeness.

Timely reminder that Jerry Donahue - two posts up - is still alive.

5 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Oddly, was looking at the little discussion I had about her a 18 months back hereabouts and wondering if she'd do a Larry Wallis for me (unique pick bonus on the DDP)

Maybe not, then

On 02/09/2015 at 19:35, Deathray said:

Arguably the greatest folk band to exist, and an awful lot of members over the years to go with it (the official website listing a total of 25 members and given this includes Paul Warren a roadie who only played drums a dozen or so gigs on the European leg of their 1975 tour it should be fairly comprehensive). And the vast majority are well into retirement age... With the death of Bruce Rowland last year at just 73 it's clear there's some good potential in this lot. The dates don't include guest appearances at Cropredy. If anyone can find more info on the guys with missing birthdays it'd be appreciated. By the looks of it this band could still be here in another fifty years if not another hundred with new faces of course - so this thread has legs.

4 dead, 21 living

• Ashley Hutchings (member 1967-69) (born 26th Jan 1945)
  • Bob Brady (member 1976) (can't find date of birth)
  • Bruce Rowland (member 1975-79 (born 22nd May 1942 - 29th June 2015 died aged 73) [cancer]
  • Chris Leslie (member 1996-Present) (born 15th December 1956)
  • Dan Ar Bras (member 1976) (born 15th January 1949)
  • Dave Mattacks (member 1969-1972, 1974, 1985-1997) (born 18th March 1948)
  • Dave Pegg (member since 1969) (born 2nd November 1947)
  • Dave Swarbrick (member 1969-79) (born 5th April 1941)
  • David Rea (1972) (born 26th October 1946 - 27th October 2011 died aged 66) [cause of death not released]
  • Gerry Conway (1998-Present) (born 11th September 1947)
  • Ian Matthews (1967-69) (born 16th June 1946)
  • Jerry Donahue (1972-75) (born 24th September 1946)
  • Judy Dyble (1967-68) (born 13th February 1949)
  • Maartin Allcock (1985-1996) (born 5th January 1957)
  • Martin Lamble (1967-69) (born 28th August 1949 - 12th May 1969 died aged 19) [van crash]
  • Paul Warren (1975) (can't find date of birth)
  • Ric Sanders (1985-Present) (born 8th December 1952)
  • Richard Thompson (1967-71) (born 3rd April 1949)
  • Roger Burridge (1976) (can't find date of birth)
  • Roger Hill (1971-72) (born 1944/45 - November 2011 died aged 66) [cardiac arrest]
  • Sandy Denny (1968-69,1974-75) (born 6 January 1947 - 21st April 1978 died aged 31) [traumatic mid-brain haemorrhage]
  • Shaun Frater (1967) (cannot find date of birth)
  • Simon Nicol (1967-71, 1976-79, 1986-Present) (born 13th October 1950)
  • Tom Farnell (1972) (can't find date of birth)
  • Trevor Lucas (1972-1975) (born 25th December 1943 - 4th February 1989 aged 45) [heart attack]

A bit late with this one, but Roger Burridge died last November.   He was only a member of the band for six months in 1976 and was one of two violinists, alongside Dave Swarbrick.

Some serious fiddling talent on display here.

• Like 1