Paul Bearer

Covid 19 ------- Third wave?

8 hours ago, Toast said:

I'm even more cynical.  The Oxford AZ vaccine has been continually and deliberately trashed right left & centre.  I suspect there are vested interests behind this.

Could the fact that it's being made available on a non-profit basis have anything to do with it?  :unsure:  Surely not :rolleyes:

There are rumours and disclosures that the non-profit stance contractually only lasts until mid-2021 (disclosure reveals that's definitely the case for Brazil). So to be even more cynical, AstraZeneca might even have a motive of their own to delay the process. And there are tons of delivery problems right now, apart from the trouble with the blood clots.

Personally, I believe that governments should have paid almost whatever necessary. Economically, you gain much more by cutting the pandemic short than by spending more for privately-made vaccines.

Wait. You can get hair cuts in Austria? 

Jealous. My hair is super long now and we still cant get hair cuts here and no way i am doing it myself. 

• Like 1

I still don't understand why nobody is asking for or publishing stats on blood clot incidents following the other vaccines.  If they follow the UK pattern, they should be about the same.

Completely pro the Astra Zeneca vaccine and all the rest of them but this side effect definitely needs looking into.

1918B802-5A1E-46B1-9116-8BC9968E99E6.jpeg.f842db6ad387a8f501350bc4cbf9219e.jpeg

• Haha 4

So many questions...

Why? 

And "Eric Eric"? 

What.

Anyone remember the Europeans planning and the butter mountains? This was the result of previous political meddling for the greater good. Too many cooks in the kitchen, fingers in the pie, lunatics in the asylum and politicians trying to look good. Astra Zeneca Vaccine produced on a non profit basis does make the vaccines cheaper. Cheaper does not mean inferior in performance. The third wave is happening in the countries where the uptake of the vaccines has been slow, politicians are just trying to shift the blame for their own poor performance.

Does anybody question who has produced the annual flu Jabs? No, we have political one-upmanship with the Europeans once again demonstrating why the Brexit negotiations were so difficult with petty bureaucracy replacing common sense. There appears to be a blind sheep mentality with little common sense being shown. Literally lemmings off a cliff. The politicians who make unsubstantiated comments about the lack of efficacy of a Vaccine should be held to account. Off the cuff political comments can create a lot of damage. 

• Like 1

Boris Johnson arrives to receive the vaccine he was promised:

• Like 1

image.png.fd0e780112ed4260ed463b786081d2

• Like 2

Once again I come here to announce the death of Irony itself...

BOISE, Idaho (CBS2) — Scott Bedke, Speaker of the Idaho House, held a press conference Friday to announce a recess in the Legislature after a COVID-19 outbreak.

Both the House and the Senate will return on April 6 after six positive cases were found among lawmakers. This news comes as the Legislature is debating a bill that would ban local governments from requiring that people wear masks.

D*n H*dges’ defence of our wretched govt’s handling of the pandemic is on point here:

74799420-9EB6-49B3-9203-3AFB81914588.thumb.jpeg.5470d7ca6332d8aefcf057143f543b01.jpeg

On 14/03/2021 at 17:00, Joey Russ said:

Honestly I think Covid is something that will never really go away completely but will probably be a lot like the flu for now on. IE we’d have to get vaccines every year for different strands of covid

Yep. I believe it. And now a precedent has been set with social distancing and lockdown regulations I can see them continuing. That is, when the numbers of infections and deaths go above a certain number the areas or country will have to enact them.

On 15/03/2021 at 16:25, the_engineer said:

The thing is though do we all want to live like this in perpetuity ? The furlough won't be paid forever ,what happens when that ends? I imagine this is why they're banning protests ( policing bill being pushed through) to stop the inevitable civil unrest. The longer things don't go back to normal , the more likely things will get very dark & uncomfortable in the UK.

This is the way things are going to be.......

Perpetual situation of 1 month of partial opening, 1 month lockdown.

Tax rises will pay for furlough.

And when you can't gather in groups larger than a handful of people there will be no protests - for safety reasons.

And big fines for those caught out of their local areas except for work reasons.

2 hours ago, MrSpud42 said:

This is the way things are going to be.......

Perpetual situation of 1 month of partial opening, 1 month lockdown.

Tax rises will pay for furlough.

And when you can't gather in groups larger than a handful of people there will be no protests - for safety reasons.

And big fines for those caught out of their local areas except for work reasons.

Yes but for how long? We've been in lockdown since January 5th nearly 25% of the year. People won't put up with it much longer , especially once the vaccines have been rolled out. 

3 weeks to flatten the curve, 1 year ago . 

I've had covid it's bad but lockdowns ,masks are destroying people in more ways than we don't even realise, maybe a lot worse than covid. They'll be a breaking point , people are already turning against the police (erroneously) fast.

3 hours ago, the_engineer said:

masks are destroying people in more ways than we don't even realise, maybe a lot worse than covid.

I would ask you to explain this but it’s definitely bollocks so don’t.

Lockdowns, yeah. Mental health has never been so fragile for loads of people. But masks? Do behave.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Lockdowns, yeah. Mental health has never been so fragile for loads of people. But masks? Do behave.

He did say lockdowns and masks, not just masks.  The problem with masks is that they hamper human interactions as well.  Difficult to smile at people, or to know if they're smiling at you, the loss of all those little wordless exchanges between strangers.  For people who are cooped up at home alone, even the weekly shopping trip offers less social communication because of masks.

• Like 2

With all these waves I'm  kind of starting to think it would've saved a lot of time and money if we just let the 2% or whatever of the population die the first time round rather than drawing it out over the course of a year and more.

Lockdown hasn't really affected my mental health as I was anti-social before all this started. Lockdown for me is getting a full wage for doing 10 hours work a week. So can't complain...

And another thing! I'm sick to the back teeth hearing about Kate fucking Garraway's husband!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Windsor said:

Lockdown for me is getting a full wage for doing 10 hours work a week. So can't complain...

I have to admit I'm the same - never have I worked so little as in the last 12 months. And any complaints from higher up and we just do a Meghan Markle and complain about mental health etc.., while relaxing by the pool. Even my London-based colleagues seem to be working a lot less than before. One problem is going to be persuading people to work at the same intensity as they used to do pre-Covid. That almost seems like a different era now.

Asthmatics have been demoted in terms of vaccine priority because..... well fuck knows, to be honest. 

On 22/03/2021 at 23:23, The Quim Reaper said:

Can't see people smile.

Can't recognise people.

Hard to understand people.

Breathing in mircoplastics. 

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/covid-19-masks-cause-plastic-122347698.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6981578/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160614114041.htm#:~:text=Studies have demonstrated that oxytocin,in other people's facial expressions.&text=According to embodied cognition theory,the recognition of the emotion.

No I'm not suggesting they're bad in other ways . But I don't know why people are so touchy about it , it's not all or nothing.

P.S I wear masks.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 19:53, the_engineer said:

Yes but for how long? We've been in lockdown since January 5th nearly 25% of the year. People won't put up with it much longer , especially once the vaccines have been rolled out. 

3 weeks to flatten the curve, 1 year ago . 

I've had covid it's bad but lockdowns ,masks are destroying people in more ways than we don't even realise, maybe a lot worse than covid. They'll be a breaking point , people are already turning against the police (erroneously) fast.

France has from what little I've heard is going into another lockdown.

As soon as the numbers rise in the UK - lockdown again...

And as for the length of time - I've heard from a good source that the current lockdown was originally going to be until September - all that matters is to keep the infection rate down. People will have to put up with it - staying safe, staying home, saving lives is more important.

And when the new policing bill goes through how will you be able to protest.

37 minutes ago, MrSpud42 said:

France has from what little I've heard is going into another lockdown.

As soon as the numbers rise in the UK - lockdown again...

And as for the length of time - I've heard from a good source that the current lockdown was originally going to be until September - all that matters is to keep the infection rate down. People will have to put up with it - staying safe, staying home, saving lives is more important.

And when the new policing bill goes through how will you be able to protest.

I'd bet my house on another lockdown around October running until mid December . Two weeks out of lockdown for Christmas and back into another one in Jan 2022. 

Maybe covid is worse than they're letting on, we aren't getting the full story! This is a huge concern because whatever they aren't saying is too terrifying for us to know and would cause mass panic .

If the disease below is connected to covid then this ain't no normal coronavirus. First appeared over a year ago around the same time as covid aswell.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/30/mystery-brain-disorder-baffles-canadian-medicine

As much as it doesn't bother me at all, Lockdown does not appear to work for the long term so the only place that should get locked down in the future is the hospitals - no more admissions for Covid.

They should just let people that catch the virus deal with it at home themselves.

Heartbreaking figures continue to come from Italy, with another 627 reported dead today - just 45 here, and that a 'spike' after low Easter figures. 638 in Poland and 311 in Hungary, a country of nine million people - which would be the equivalent of over 2000 in the UK. A couple of weeks ago Italy's per-million figure was about 100 behind Britain's - tomorrow they will overtake us, as Slovakia did earlier today.

The third wave sweeping Europe means that three million Covid deaths is now a formality. Did anyone here predict that a year back? 

Pessimistic projections come from SAGE meanwhile, predicting a late-summer surge - in hospitalisations and deaths - following the easing of restrictions in June. Cases will go up, no doubt, but won't almost everyone have been vaccinated by then? If we're going to die anyway, what was the point? 

I see from the news this morning that South Korea are talking about the fourth wave.