Paul Bearer

Covid 19 ------- Third wave?

I've heard of people getting pinged by it while separated by actual rooms. So fuck that.

Are we all just going to ignore Bentrovano saying he's the last man on the entire planet that's only contactable on a landline? Because I'm a bit bored waiting for the football so if we've nothing better to do ...

We're going to let this go are we?

I didn't have a mobile phone for years.   I moved to somewhere with hardly any signal so didn't bother with one.

I wouldn't have one now if a friend hadn't given me his old phone along with a hefty staff discount on my contract.  This happened after I nearly got stuck in Twickenham after the Rolling Stones gig when all the trains were cancelled and I had no way of getting a cab or finding out what was going on.

• Thanks 1

I moved to halfway up a mountain where my phone was regularly smashed to fuck and the shite / non-existent reception was even worse than that so I hear you sister, r.e signal troubles. Sucks.

I don't have it mainly because I work in a hospital and work behind a screen. We are advised by upper management to not have it on while at work.

I now understand the reason for the conspiracy theory with the phone masts, it is not the masts themselves or the 5G signals they use. It is the transmission of the data from the track and trace app the people are trying to avoid. 

I wonder if there could be a software solution to reduce the strength of the bluetooth signal such that false positives could not be transmitted through walls etc, just a thought you could tune your own mobile phone sensibly.

E6kHumvWYAIGNpK.jpg.be01ba4218c56d080ed7876f1bceb64b.jpg

• Haha 5

Two thirds of all Indians have COVID antibodies:

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/india-govt-survey-shows-two-thirds-have-coronavirus-antibodies-2021-07-20/

Excess mortality in 2020 in India was higher than expected by up to 4,9 million deaths:

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/indias-30093-new-covid-19-cases-are-lowest-daily-figure-4-mths-2021-07-20/

When all this is said and done, COVID will have infected billions of people, and killed possibly 10-20 million people, or more, depending on the devlopment of more variants, and on what's going on in Africa.

Kier Starmer is now self isolating as one of his children has tested positive.

Edit:

Cases are not soaring here quite as much as the doom-mongers said, though - 36,000 today, compared to 54,000 a week ago.  Deaths higher than they were but comfortably under 100 a day, notwithstanding the Tuesday spike. The worst-case scenario I heard - from a Government source - suggested 200,000 new cases and up to 200 deaths a day. Still might come to that of course, the football won't have helped, but could it be that we've already peaked? 

It would seem that Long Covid and its lingering effects could have devastating consequences on the health service and the economy. We have seen the rise of  diagnosed diabetes in the general population over the past decades, long covid could bring similar levels of long term costs and stretch the resources of the NHS. I think that the current  people who are not taking up the vaccine are risking potential long term illness, statistically they may not die but they can still suffer if they are unfortunate to succumb to the virus. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, coolman5464 said:

Covid is about to hit 200 million confirmed cases next month.

and everyone will get it eventually.  Good thing viruses attenuate

Where are Fat Man and Little Boy when needed?

That's me double-dosed with the Astra Zippity immortality juice as SC calls it. Americans seriously think it's a shan vaccine and I have my visa for the U.S too. 

My arm is dead though and that's my hurling arm! What if I have to defend Alness against Invergordan before I leave Scotland. Okay "shinty" it's the same thing. Hockey crossed with murder. 

If you look at the worldwide numbers for infections and deaths (Worldometer) by their graphical representations you can see the waves in a graphical format for the world and individual countries. 

This update has been posted for those who are politically affiliated, in the media or numerically challanged. This may include the PM who struggles with the Sage updates. You can draw your own Venn diagrams.

Man, Covid-19 came really close. So... a very close family member of mine fell ill on saturday and was picked up by ambulance on sunday morning. Tested positive for Covid-19 later that day, even though the person and their SO + most of our family is vaccinated. Them being vaccinated with Pfizer, while I got the Moderna-one. A few short hours after the family member tested positve, they went into ICU.

Been some horrible days since more members tested positive. Me and my girlfriend are testing regulary, since we have been in contact, but so far, negative.

Covid-19 is no joke.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, Genfærd said:

Man, Covid-19 came really close. So... a very close family member of mine fell ill on saturday and was picked up by ambulance on sunday morning. Tested positive for Covid-19 later that day, even though the person and their SO + most of our family is vaccinated. Them being vaccinated with Pfizer, while I got the Moderna-one. A few short hours after the family member tested positve, they went into ICU.

Been some horrible days since more members tested positive. Me and my girlfriend are testing regulary, since we have been in contact, but so far, negative.

Covid-19 is no joke.

I wish your family members a speedy recovery and progress.

@Genfærd... Take good care of yourself or you're going to need medical attention.

Little jokes with this, therefore.

I send my greetings to you and your girlfriend. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MariNisia said:

I wish your family members a speedy recovery and progress.

@Genfærd... Take good care of yourself or you're going to need medical attention.

Little jokes with this, therefore.

I send my greetings to you and your girlfriend. ;)

Thank you very much, @MariNisia - that was kind of you!

• Thanks 1

42,076 new cases and 121 new deaths within 28 days of a positive test across the UK.

NHS hospital I work for stopped telling us how many cases there are within the trust months ago once the cases went below 10. Before that I got daily emails telling me how many inpatients. I'm sure there are more now as there has been another spike, but got no news.

Recovering now having tested positive middle of last week (got it off a young womble who went to  a pop festival in Cornwall and brought it back with him, as did tens of thousands of others). Been jabbed twice so thankfully only like  a moderate bout of flu, but still not very pleasant for a few days. Accepting the line that vaccines reduce the severity of symptoms by about 70%, without the jabs it would have been pretty sh*tty. Would recommend any waverers to get it. (The young womble (20) had a moderate cold for 3-4 days and recovered quickly).

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

You now have the comfort of knowing that your immunity has been massively boosted by actual infection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Recovering now having tested positive middle of last week (got it off a young womble who went to  a pop festival in Cornwall and brought it back with him, as did tens of thousands of others). Been jabbed twice so thankfully only like  a moderate bout of flu, but still not very pleasant for a few days. Accepting the line that vaccines reduce the severity of symptoms by about 70%, without the jabs it would have been pretty sh*tty. Would recommend any waverers to get it. (The young womble (20) had a moderate cold for 3-4 days and recovered quickly).

Without resorting to specious reasoning ("without...it would have been pretty sh*tty"), I'm struggling to see how the jabs benefited you at all.

2 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Long live THE WOMBLES.

• Like 1

On 15/08/2021 at 20:24, Charlotte's Controller said:

If you look at the worldwide numbers for infections and deaths (Worldometer) by their graphical representations you can see the waves in a graphical format for the world and individual countries. 

This update has been posted for those who are politically affiliated, in the media or numerically challanged. This may include the PM who struggles with the Sage updates. You can draw your own Venn diagrams.

A month has passed, at the time of initial posting the Deaths per Million UK and US were equal, the difference now 1973 v 2059 our UK vaccination policy  and drive has made a big difference. Our death count for covid still includes all those who have died within 28 days of a positive test. The UK may have numbers which are comparatively overstated. India on the same basis would have millions if they would not have counted deaths as heart failure and done the tests.