Putin

45. Buzz Aldrin

Buzz Aldrin is an astronaut who was one of two first people to walk on the moon back in 1969 with Neil Armstrong. He is 91 years old now, but don't know how his health. Surprised he didn't have his own thread already so far as I know at least.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Putin said:

Buzz Aldrin is an astronaut who was one of two first people to walk on the moon back in 1969 with Neil Armstrong. He is 91 years old now, but don't know how his health. Surprised he didn't have his own thread already so far as I know at least.

Taken you life in your hands there by daring to start a new thread. 

I hope for your sake you performed a thorough search! :lol:

He came to our school to do a talk in the 1980s. Unfortunately it was mainly about religion and how he found God, rather than the stuff we were interested about space.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Putin said:

Rather like Scott being 'one of two first people' (apart from Roald's mates) to walk to the South Pole. Second is nowhere, Buzz, old son.

Is he too lah-de-dah to mix with the other astronauts in their thread? I see you even tried a 'People who walked on the moon' thread in 2018, but that made it about as far as the Columbia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Is he too lah-de-dah to mix with the other astronauts in their thread? I see you even tried a 'People who walked on the moon' thread in 2018, but that made it about as far as the Columbia.

The Challenger surely? Columbia was almost back.

8 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

The Challenger surely? Columbia was almost back.

Aye, I'm always getting me shuttles mixed up. They should have named them after serial killers and I'd have no trouble. "Disaster struck when the Ted Bundy exploded in a fireball just moments into its debut flight..."

• Haha 2

I thought he had a thread already?

1 hour ago, odeon said:

I thought he had a thread already?

I thought that to, untill I saw the forum of people that has a thread and didn't find him there, and on the search engine. 

15 minutes ago, Putin said:

I thought that to, untill I saw the forum of people that has a thread and didn't find him there, and on the search engine. 

And the very first sentence on that thread is:

Do not make threads for people just because they aren't on this list

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

And the very first sentence on that thread is:

Thought they meant the main list  

1 minute ago, Putin said:

Thought they meant the main list  

Everyone who is, or has ever been, on the Deathlist has their own thread.  It is a convention of the site.  If a new entrant does not already have a thread, Grim Reaper opens one for them.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Missread it

21 hours ago, Toast said:

Everyone who is, or has ever been, on the Deathlist has their own thread.  It is a convention of the site.  If a new entrant does not already have a thread, Grim Reaper opens one for them.

Isn't that a bit weird and constricting? We basically wouldn't be able to discuss Buzz then simply because he wasn't on the list or some dude didnt make a thread 15 years ago?

Maybe I misunderstand you.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, odeon said:

Isn't that a bit weird and constricting? We basically wouldn't be able to discuss Buzz then simply because he wasn't on the list or some dude didnt make a thread 15 years ago?

He was doing just fine being discussed in the Astronauts thread, is the basic idea. But his thread has probably passed the survival threshold by now. I doubt the admins can even be arsed closing it.

2 hours ago, odeon said:

As Harry said, there is a thread for Astronauts which is perfectly adequate for any news that might arise about Buzz Aldrin.

In general, people only merit a dedicated thread of their own if they are regularly newsworthy or controversial in some way.  Most others fit into existing topics.

• Like 2

Why is someone who took a few photos of himself and his mates pissing about in the Arizona desert worthy of a thread of his own?

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Correct thread discussions finds me wishing @Cat O'Falk well whilst he's seemingly unable to post right now.

• Like 2

Yes, I do hope he's OK. 

Just throwing this out there

Someone created a thread on Monday on a certain three-piece music combo popular in the 60s. No-one has (yet) berated him for creating it (not that I'm suggesting they should). What's the difference between that thread and this one? I'm genuinely interested to know.

• Like 4

If I can imagine the person being on the Deathlist, I think a thread is okay, like this one. But then, I kind of think we spend too much time about discussing if a thread is right or not.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

If I can imagine the person being on the Deathlist, I think a thread is okay, like this one. But then, I kind of think we spend too much time about discussing if a thread is right or not.

Agree. Anyway the thread is created : Why are y’all so mad about people creating a thread about a celebrity ? I get it, sometimes the celebrity isn’t famous enough or doesn’t deserve his/her own thread : that's not the case with Buzz Aldrin ! 
Now it’s created, why are we still speaking about its accuracy ? It’s a good thread and it’ll be close when Aldrin dies.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Ok Putin, I expect to see new, relevant news links about Buzz every three months or so until his sad demise from old age in three years time. If you’re going to father all these illegitimate threads you’ll need to pay child support. Or else we’ll cut your Scandinavian knackers off.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, time said:

Someone created a thread on Monday on a certain three-piece music combo popular in the 60s. No-one has (yet) berated him for creating it (not that I'm suggesting they should). What's the difference between that thread and this one? I'm genuinely interested to know.

I did think that when reading that thread but decided there was little to be gained from raising the issue given who created it. It did seem a bit arbitrary and "one rule for them" though. But I still agree with @Toast that Buzz was doing fine in the Astronauts thread, as quite often when one moonwalker is newsworthy, others are featured in the same article/event.

17 hours ago, time said:

It's like a Ceausescu building a palace of solid gold while his people starved. Time for a Do Not Climb on the Scaffolding sign, Bearer! 

(I won't mention Archie McPherson at this point, we'll chalk that one up to drunken tomfoolery and admin's privilege)

On 19/03/2021 at 12:33, Toast said:

As Harry said, there is a thread for Astronauts which is perfectly adequate for any news that might arise about Buzz Aldrin.

In general, people only merit a dedicated thread of their own if they are regularly newsworthy or controversial in some way.  Most others fit into existing topics.

I understand but I don't know, Buzz is quite the different beast than just your average "moonwalker" IMO. Someone who will be remembered for millenia shouldn't be just lumped with the rest of them astronauts. Maybe just my personal bias.

• Like 1