Putin

45. Buzz Aldrin

1 hour ago, odeon said:

I understand but I don't know, Buzz is quite the different beast than just your average "moonwalker" IMO. Someone who will be remembered for millenia shouldn't be just lumped with the rest of them astronauts. Maybe just my personal bias.

But is there much to say about him?  Is there a constant buzz about Buzz? :scratchhead:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Toast said:

But is there much to say about him?  Is there a constant buzz about Buzz? :scratchhead:

Is there much to say about Dick van Dyke?

• Sad 1

He's still quite active (and travels when there isn't a pandemic) so there is a constant buzz. He does however seem one of the healthiest nonagenerians on the planet (touch wood) so whilst A++++ level Deathlisty, I don't see him meeting the Reaper for a while yet.

Here he is yesterday looking frankly healthier than most of us:

Ew345vAWgAItOZ8?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

He's still quite active (and travels when there isn't a pandemic) so there is a constant buzz. He does however seem one of the healthiest nonagenerians on the planet (touch wood) so whilst A++++ level Deathlisty, I don't see him meeting the Reaper for a while yet.

He's got more hair than he's had in decades, what's his secret; Oestrogen? 

2 hours ago, odeon said:

Is there much to say about Dick van Dyke?

Dick van Dyke is a Deathlist name, so he automatically gets a thread.

• Like 1

Aldrin's a big name and unlike all the mainly healthy 30-60 year olds who've got a thread in case they prematurely die/have had bad health problems or other problems once (Meghan, Robert Bales, Victoria Beckham, David Cameron, Clooney, Culkin, Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, Katie Hopkins, Joseph Kony, Mohammad Mushtaq, Keanu Reeves...)

he won't go on forever and we'll all probably live long enough to see that red "dead" sign next to old Buzz's name in five years

32 minutes ago, arghton said:

Aldrin's a big name and unlike all the mainly healthy 30-60 year olds who've got a thread in case they prematurely die/have had bad health problems or other problems once (Meghan, Robert Bales, Victoria Beckham, David Cameron, Clooney, Culkin, Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, Katie Hopkins, Joseph Kony, Mohammad Mushtaq, Keanu Reeves...)

he won't go on forever and we'll all probably live long enough to see that red "dead" sign next to old Buzz's name in five years

Aside from Macaulay Culkin, who has always been a fucking shambles, I agree - these threads are all completely pointless, and many more besides.

Aldrin’s 91 and everyone knows who he is. I’m staggered he didn’t have a thread created for him years ago, quite honestly; particularly when he went through the motions of suing his family a couple of years ago - that’d be a pending heart attack even for someone not in their late 80s.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Dick van Dyke is a Deathlist name, so he automatically gets a thread.

But that thread has been around since 2004. I know what you’re trying to say though, but I feel like it’s a bit of a waste of your energy trying to police people making threads about famous 90+ year olds just because of some old site dogmas

18 minutes ago, odeon said:

But that thread has been around since 2004. I know what you’re trying to say though, but I feel like it’s a bit of a waste of your energy trying to police people making threads about famous 90+ year olds just because of some old site dogmas

You've missed the point, so I don't think you do know what I'm "trying to say".

I didn't pick on Buzz Aldrin in particular, it could have been anybody.  If you read back , the reason for my intervention should be clear.

I'll leave it there.

Why does this thread keep getting bumped up. He's fine. I don't think we'll lose buzz anytime soon 

15 hours ago, Toast said:

You've missed the point, so I don't think you do know what I'm "trying to say".

I didn't pick on Buzz Aldrin in particular, it could have been anybody.  If you read back , the reason for my intervention should be clear.

I'll leave it there.

As a new member I'm just trying to understand the way this site works. I'm not questioning that you know better than me, how could I? I like you and your comments, Toast. I'm trying to learn from you. No need to be disprespectful to me. I'm just asking some questions which I expect you know the answer to. All in all I'm just a fan of Buzz and I know I'd be bumping this thread regardless every year anyway.

6 minutes ago, odeon said:

As a new member I'm just trying to understand the way this site works. I'm not questioning that you know better than me, how could I? I like you and your comments, Toast. I'm trying to learn from you. No need to be disprespectful to me. I'm just asking some questions which I expect you know the answer to. All in all I'm just a fan of Buzz and I know I'd be bumping this thread regardless every year anyway.

The thing to learn from Toast is that if it lands butter side down, do not eat it. If it lands butter side up, then you are probably okay. 

21 hours ago, msc said:

Is that his wife/partner or daughter/granddaughter? If it's the former then a heart attack may be on the cards. 

1 hour ago, odeon said:

I haven't been "disrespectful".  Clearly you didn't read back as I suggested, so I'll put this here:

image.png.b420da3974f055872228edece1ab7ac7.png

The poster read the thread, and immediately did what he was instructed NOT to do.  Hence my comment.

I've already given my personal opinion, which is that most individuals are covered in other threads (eg Buzz Aldrin in Astronauts), and do not need their own dedicated thread unless they are controversial or regularly newsworthy.  I'm not sure what isn't clear about all that. 

6 hours ago, Toast said:

I haven't been "disrespectful".  Clearly you didn't read back as I suggested, so I'll put this here:

image.png.b420da3974f055872228edece1ab7ac7.png

The poster read the thread, and immediately did what he was instructed NOT to do.  Hence my comment.

I've already given my personal opinion, which is that most individuals are covered in other threads (eg Buzz Aldrin in Astronauts), and do not need their own dedicated thread unless they are controversial or regularly newsworthy.  I'm not sure what isn't clear about all that. 

It’s clear, I was just wondering why.

26 minutes ago, odeon said:

It’s clear, I was just wondering why.

Because if they're only likely to get infrequent mentions,  the parent thread is adequate.  That's why we have threads for astronauts, boxers, poets etc.

I understand why many of you are frustaded of this thread. Didn't think so many would complain about this. And yeah I know it is an astronauts thread, but I think Buzz Aldrin is to important to not have his own thread. He was among with Neil Armstrong the first people to ever walk on the moon. And since Armstrong died back in 2012, and was not on the main list was a big miss, so I think Aldrin should be included later on the list in the future somtime. He is still very healthy yet, but when you are 91 years old anything could suddenly happen, like for example Christopher Plummer was really fit and in good health right before he died after a fall and was big shock when he died. And he was and i 91 years, so as I said anyrhing could happen at that age.

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

I understand why many of you are frustaded of this thread. Didn't think so many would complain about this. And yeah I know it is an astronauts thread, but I think Buzz Aldrin is to important to not have his own thread. He was among with Neil Armstrong the first people to ever walk on the moon. And since Armstrong died back in 2012, and was not on the main list was a big miss, so I think Aldrin should be included later on the list in the future somtime. He is still very healthy yet, but when you are 91 years old anything could suddenly happen, like for example Christopher Plummer was really fit and in good health right before he died after a fall and was big shock when he died. And he was and i 91 years, so as I said anyrhing could happen at that age.

Ignore them.

Second human on the moon, a household name and now in his 92nd year. Ofc he should have a bloody thread!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Ignore them.

Second human on the moon, a household name and now in his 92nd year. Ofc he should have a bloody thread!

I'm just surprised that, of all the people who could have gotten threads, its Buzz fn Aldrin that gets the backlash.

But there are requests (hah) to update the forum with all of Buzz's wacky adventures which I am sure folk will suffice in doing now!

1 hour ago, Putin said:

So frustading!

Christ...so far, around 100% of this thread has been an argument about whether it should exist.

This place is fucking slipping.

Any person capable of making the DeathList is deserving of a thread. Amazing how some of you who’ve been here for ages can’t seem to grasp this. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Banana said:

Any person capable of making the DeathList is deserving of a thread. Amazing how some of you who’ve been here for ages can’t seem to grasp this. 

I understand the sentiment and personally concur. However, it's far too open to arguments about how one defines 'capable of making the deathlist', since nobody ever agrees about that in the first place.

'On' the deathlist is of course already in place.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, msc said:

I'm just surprised that, of all the people who could have gotten threads, its Buzz fn Aldrin that gets the backlash.

In my case it was just the timing.  No sooner was the list of people with threads published, with a caveat that it wasn't an invitation to start threads for other people ......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Putin said:

And since Armstrong died back in 2012, and was not on the main list was a big miss, so I think Aldrin should be included later on the list in the future somtime.

He was a relatively fit 82 year old, who died following complications from heart surgery in August of 2012 - when exactly should Neil Armstrong have been on the list to be a miss?

• Like 2