Sign in to follow this  
Paul Bearer

Covid passports

Covid passports  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you think we should have them?  Personally I'm not too fused, but if we want to travel abroad and don't have one, will we be prevented from going? 

After getting my jag (Scottish version of jab) I couldn't feel the microchip surging through my arteries.

I vote aye. 

As I am not anti vax ( had mine) I cannot be anti passport.

• Like 1

My only concern with them domestically is that excluding people who haven’t yet been jabbed from entertainment venues will damage them further. But, as LFN said, pro-vax means principally pro-passport. It’s necessary, particularly internationally.

Given that I am a dual national, do I have to get an EU covid passport and a Brexit covid passport?

Nay

I think it would just encourage folk to travel abroad if they had one and I am still of the opinion that ALL overseas travel should be stopped, particularly inbound.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

Nay

I think it would just encourage folk to travel abroad if they had one and I am still of the opinion that ALL overseas travel should be stopped, particularly inbound.

I don't think that follows at all.  I see it more as making it safer for large gatherings at football matches, music gigs and similar events.

Surely the most important question is what colour it will be?

But to answer PB's question, I'd say - it depends. Its currently not compulsory to be vaccinated (against anything), so it could lead to marginalising a section of society (whether we think is is right or wrong is another argument) so (like everything) I don't think its a simple yes/no (or yay/nay) question (did we learn nothing from the brexit referendum?). Tell me how it would work.

• Like 1

When you go to say certain countries in Africa, you need proof that you have had certain vaccinations (Ebola for example). Why just not add on to that you have had vaccine for Covid?

For working in the NHS I had to have proof that I had certain vaccinations as well or were immune to it (chickenpox). Because I had never had it as a child I then had to have the vaccine for that.

• Like 1

Should be gettin the dart on Thursday, the only thing I would worry about is the poor sods that have to check them and the amount of abuse they're going to get.

• Like 2

Nay.

People should have the right to refuse the vaccine, it is completely up to us what we decide to put into our bodies - not the government. We should not have to earn back our human rights on the count of some higher power.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kenny McCormick said:

Nay.

People should have the right to refuse the vaccine, it is completely up to us what we decide to put into our bodies - not the government. We should not have to earn back our human rights on the count of some higher power.

They would still have the right to refuse the vaccine.  But others would have the right to choose only to admit vaccinated people to their events or premises.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I don't see how the UK can decide by itself. Other countries will probably do it anyway, taking the decision out of their hands (at least as far as international travel goes). If you don't want a vaccine, don't go abroad.

• Like 1

Nay

Although my response is slightly more nuanced. Internationally they are an inevitability so internationally yes. The threat of new variants is another reason why as much as I don`t like the idea feel it is necessary. Domestically no way. The scheme can only work when the vaccine has been offered to everyone and as take-up is so high by the time they would be introduced we would almost certainly have herd immunity.I have had both doses of the vaccine and am more than comfortable with that. If I am in a public place and others haven`t been vaccinated it is unlikely to make a difference to me. The scientific data on vaccines is extremely encouraging in terms of, efficacy preventing infection, lessening the severity of infection if you do contract it, and is even better at preventing hospitalizations and death. The collective effect of such a high take-up so far which I only imagine will stay pretty high as we go down the age groups combined with the efficacy of the vaccines means they (domestic vaccine passports) are disproportionate. In the meantime they are looking at testing people before and after they go into venues. The logistical minefield of getting businesses to police that which would require extra staff to check the tests and process them whilst finding space to put people while they wait for their results (30 mins) when they are already on their knees is difficult to quantify. This is a classic case of policymakers coming up with policies based on theory, not practicality. You will also get fake passports on the black market and some venue owners who won`t check for whatever reason or if they do won`t stop fraudulent documents. It will never work domestically. Plus as stated above the level of abuse those enforcing this will get will be substantial.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2021 at 11:01, The Quim Reaper said:

My only concern with them domestically is that excluding people who haven’t yet been jabbed from entertainment venues will damage them further. But, as LFN said, pro-vax means principally pro-passport. It’s necessary, particularly internationally.

I am pro-vaccine but not pro-passport domestically.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sean said:

I am pro-vaccine but not pro-passport domestically.

Principally, I’m for it. But I do have large reservations about it domestically; nothing to do with fucktards shouting “freedom” because they don’t want a jab because ooh they’re so hard. It’s the abuse that untrained staff will encounter from said idiots, and the even further extended damage that theatres, pubs and all other entertainment venues will suffer as a result of, for now, a heavily reduced clientele - their main ones, of course, being young people who haven’t yet had the vaccine offer.

Internationally speaking, however, there’s no two ways about it - it needs to be done, mainly because of such disparity from nation to nation with regard to restrictions, virus presence and vaccine rollout.

• Like 2

I wonder how the international passport thing will work. I mean there are loads of different vaccines. The one I will get is probably the Chinese one here in Indonesia. The certificate is in Indonesian. I wonder if airlines or Heathrow would recognise that. Would a pub in the UK recognise it? It could easily be forged. In any case don't the vaccines only give immunity for 6 months? What happens if we find out later that AZ antibodies fade after 6 months but Pfizer protects for 2 years? There is no standard certificate worldwide, and no chance of there being one, as far as I can see. Only on a bilateral basis (eg UK and Israel do a covid passport arrangement. Then UK and Thailand do one. etc.).

I think this is a different scale of thing from the Yellow Fever vaccination stamp I needed to get into Uganda 15 years ago - there is only one Yellow Fever vaccine and it lasts for 10 years I think. But for Covid? Well - where do you even start?

Nay

According to the Vaccine Adverse Effects Reporting System, 2,050 Americans have died from the shot so far. There has been 44,606 recorded adverse effects. For this reason, I understand why people are skeptical about this rushed out vaccine. Therefore, I don't think someone who believes the vaccine could be dangerous should be forced to get it and get a passport that grants them privileges. Everybody needs to make their own decision. If someone is vaccinated, why do they care if they come into contact with someone who is not? Isn't the vaccine suppose to keep them protected?

With that being said, I do plan on getting the vaxx, eventually, but I am in no rush to get it. I'll probably get it late 2021 or Early 2022.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeathClock said:

According to the Vaccine Adverse Effects Reporting System, 2,050 Americans have died from the shot so far.

Died from it or following it?  I don't think that link looks particularly trustworthy. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Toast said:

Died from it or following it?  I don't think that link looks particularly trustworthy. 

And if it were true (spoiler - I agree, its not), it'd be 0.0003% of the people who got the jab. Which is lower than the average you'd expect from natural causes!

1 minute ago, msc said:

And if it were true (spoiler - I agree, its not), it'd be 0.0003% of the people who got the jab. Which is lower than the average you'd expect from natural causes!

And I'm betting most if not all of the deaths are from natural causes and would have happened anyway.  Are they counting things like road accidents as well? :P

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

And I'm betting most if not all of the deaths are from natural causes and would have happened anyway.  Are they counting things like road accidents as well? :P

the irony

9 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

the irony

To be clear, I'm acknowledging that people really will have died after being vaccinated, because people die anyway!  Like my friend who recently died of a lengthy illness.  She had been vaccinated, of course, because she was CEV.  But she died of her illness, which she had survived much longer than expected.

On 05/04/2021 at 13:58, The Quim Reaper said:

Principally, I’m for it. But I do have large reservations about it domestically; nothing to do with fucktards shouting “freedom” because they don’t want a jab because ooh they’re so hard. It’s the abuse that untrained staff will encounter from said idiots, and the even further extended damage that theatres, pubs and all other entertainment venues will suffer as a result of, for now, a heavily reduced clientele - their main ones, of course, being young people who haven’t yet had the vaccine offer.

Internationally speaking, however, there’s no two ways about it - it needs to be done, mainly because of such disparity from nation to nation with regard to restrictions, virus presence and vaccine rollout.

I don't care about people not getting the jab as long as enough people have it especially the vulnerable then there isn't reason to worry.Takeup as I said is very high.I don't want to keep showing paperwork when I go anywhere.Perhaps it is the libertarian in me but feel it is an intrusion and one that gives conspiracy theory wackos like Piers Corbyn with a clear shot at goal which could put some people off getting vaccinated.I especially hate the NHS app which I refuse to download as it is ineffective for a number of reasons  ( it works on distance so if you are in a terraced house and your neighbour tests positive it tells you to isolate ,not everyone has it so it could well not protect you ,some people around you will be asymptomatic so you would never know you are exposed , they don't tell you enough details so could easily be a mistaken contact you can't clarify) and I don't trust the government.I have been called a conspiracy theorist for saying it but I don't trust the morons at the Department of Health  like Wanksock and Dildo Hardon the woman who lost thousands of people's sensitive private information when she was in charge of Talk Talk.

I agree that the viability of businesses particularly in entertainment would be severely damaged by this.With all these restrictions it seems a chore to go out to certain events which isn't how you want to feel as a paying customer.I am not a confrontational person and not the sort of arse to give low level employees attitude but do I want to go and spend hard earned money on a highly regulated experience which is not enjoyable as it makes you feel you are back at school?No

Internationally it is inevitable though and has a clear objective of preventing new variants taking hold and as you say the rollouts and prevalence in many countries are so varied.

Has it been made clear whether these would be made available to those who have only had the first dose, or would you have to be doubly jabbed? If your first dose is given in May, you won't be getting the next until August, which is most of the summer gone. Bit tough if you only wanted to get away for a weekend or sit in a pub garden with a few friends (and yes I know that pubs won't be asking for them next week. Anyone planning on going, by the way?). 

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Has it been made clear whether these would be made available to those who have only had the first dose, or would you have to be doubly jabbed? If your first dose is given in May, you won't be getting the next until August, which is most of the summer gone. Bit tough if you only wanted to get away for a weekend or sit in a pub garden with a few friends (and yes I know that pubs won't be asking for them next week. Anyone planning on going, by the way?). 

Of course not. Hardly anything  has been made clear for over a year.

I'll be in the pub garden the weekend after next (weather permitting).

• Shocked 1