Sign in to follow this  
MariNisia

Useless Celebrities

631875396430.thumb.jpg.ad89e0b4e2b5fdff0fecdc6ef09588ca.jpg

Jameela Jamil, "The Good Place" star, model, presenter and activist said recently: "Celebrities are useless".

Would you agree or disagree with this opinion?

Do you think the same?

If you are agree... Whom are you thinking about?

In my case ... in this pair...

631864367450.thumb.jpg.7ca0a187bef4dcd8551781f6d77cb3c9.jpg

I'm bad... Hell is my destiny...

What do you think of this?

• Like 1

I’d agree if she was including herself 

What a take to state celebrities you don't like or understand are "useless celebrities" especially those with actual talent.

5 hours ago, MariNisia said:

Jameela Jamil, "The Good Place" star, model, presenter and activist said recently: "Celebrities are useless".

Do you think the same?

I've no idea who these are. it would be helpful if you identified the celebrities rather than assuming us more mature types recognise pictures of the kids that allegedly pass for celebrities these days. 

Anyway, to answer the question, celebrities are no more or less useless than the rest of the population. Also, if you're saying x is useless, give us a reason. Support your stance.

22 minutes ago, time said:

celebrities are no more or less useless than the rest of the population.

Are you sure? :D

See the source image

36 minutes ago, time said:

I've no idea who these are. it would be helpful if you identified the celebrities rather than assuming us more mature types recognise pictures of the kids that allegedly pass for celebrities these days. 

Anyway, to answer the question, celebrities are no more or less useless than the rest of the population. Also, if you're saying x is useless, give us a reason. Support your stance.

Well, the one on the right is one of the biggest names in music.

1 hour ago, Banana said:

What a take to state celebrities you don't like or understand are "useless celebrities" especially those with actual talent

Yes. It's true.

There's the taste of each one.

Maybe... I have a great admiration for an actor or a singer and you know, you might think, for example,... Please there are a lot of celebrities with more talent.

• Like 1

Can we have a definition of  "celebrity", please?  These days it seems be used mainly to refer to talentless attention-seekers.

PS - I don't recognise any of the three people in the OP.

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

I've seen The Good Place - it's a bit shit but I recognise her from that.

I think the tashy one is Justin Bieber trying to look grown up.

The black one with the blond hair - no idea but I think it is male to try and reduce the options down by 50%.

12 minutes ago, Toast said:

Jameela Jamil (1986), actress (The Good Place) and radio presenter (BBC Radio 1).

Jaden Smith (1998), actor/rapper and son of Will Smith.

Justin Bieber (1994), Canadian singer-songwriter, hits include Baby and Love Yourself

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Banana said:

Well, the one on the right is one of the biggest names in music.

You are right and wrong at the same time.

For many people Justin Bieber is one of the biggest names in music.

For many people Justin Bieber is a firecracker (for me at least).

For example...

Glenn Close got nominated for an Oscar and a Razzie for the same role this year.

Is she good or bad?

Her performance... Is good or bad?

For me she's one of the greatest of her generation and she's fantastic and the best of the film.

But...

The taste is the taste.

• Like 1

Anyone from reality TV pretty much.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

Jameela Jamil (1986), actress (The Good Place) and radio presenter (BBC Radio 1).

I watched 3 episodes of that, it didn't grab me and the lead actress was annoying.  Don't remember this one.

47 minutes ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

Jaden Smith (1998), actor/rapper and son of Will Smith.

Ah yes, got his Dad's ears.  Does he have anything else apart from connections?

47 minutes ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

Justin Bieber (1994), Canadian singer-songwriter, hits include Baby and Love Yourself

Really?  That dirty, unkempt unattractive yob?  I don't think I've heard any of his songs, at least not knowingly, although I have heard of him.

(old meme)

Springsteen Bieber.jpg

3 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Are you sure? :D

See the source image

Yes. :lol:

I've found a report on the podcast Jameela did;  @Banana will be pleased to hear she did include herself as 'useless'. In the context she's talking, she's quite right, celebrities,, during lockdown, have, for the most part been useless, compared with front-line workers.

As a general rule, I stand by celebrities being no more or less useless than the rest of us; I'm particularly useless when it comes to most things (identifying celebrities from post-2000 for example), but even I can pick up a bottle of wine from the supermarket, so not completely useless. I'll wager Jedward, Jameela, Jaden & Justin (and all the other celebs beginning with J) are just as useful, given the chance. ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, time said:

I've no idea who these are.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

The black one with the blond hair - no idea but I think it is male to try and reduce the options down by 50%.

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

Really?  That dirty, unkempt unattractive yob?  I don't think I've heard any of his songs, at least not knowingly, although I have heard of him.

2 minutes ago, time said:

I'll wager Jedward, Jameela, Jaden & Justin (and all the other celebs beginning with J) are just as useful, given the chance.

I am Jaden Smith...

Nobody knows me...

732783167540.gif.253236394a138c11e8ff2adde94997ae.gif

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Toast said:

I watched 3 episodes of that, it didn't grab me and the lead actress was annoying.  Don't remember this one.

Haha - that’s as far as I got too!

• Haha 1

Kardashians. Famous from some horrible television show, instagram pictures and plastic surgeries, yet some people seem to think they're some kind of a "Royal Family of America"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MariNisia said:

Do you think the same?

You could have put the woman in the useless daft bimbos thread.   The guys, whoever they are, look fit and healthy.   Now, where's that 'close thread'  button. 

@Grim Up North @Toast I thought the lead in The Good Place was annoying too, but the show picked up steam after a season or so. Ted Danson clearly enjoys himself a lot in it.

Anyhow, I do know who Jamil is as a result and she's quite good in it. Didn't know the other two until it was mentioned. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msc said:

@Grim Up North @Toast I thought the lead in The Good Place was annoying too, but the show picked up steam after a season or so. Ted Danson clearly enjoys himself a lot in it.

Anyhow, I do know who Jamil is as a result and she's quite good in it. Didn't know the other two until it was mentioned. 

After a season or so .....  :blink:

I simply don't have that much determination.  Experience has shown me that the fourth episode is the make-or-break time for catching my interest.

The one time I went beyond this was 15 episodes of Breaking Bad, which bored me rigid. 

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

I simply don't have that much determination.  Experience has shown me that the fourth episode is the make-or-break time for catching my interest.

The one time I went beyond this was 15 episodes of Breaking Bad, which bored me rigid. 

yeah 3 episodes is my threshold - if they can’t grab my attention when they know they need to be trying then I give up on them.

Surprised you didn’t like BB mind although we all have different tastes I just thought it was very good television (and lots of deaths if you like that sort of thing.....)

I gave up on The Wire because I couldn’t understand a word they were saying but friends are imploring me to try again with the subtitles on so I might revisit this winter.

19 minutes ago, Toast said:

I've found quite a lot of modern TV has a weak first series. Might be just me? Even people trying to get me into stuff will often go "the first series is bad but once you get past that..." 

Breaking Bad was a bit rubbish though, imo. It had its moments, but about 5 great episodes in 64 isn't really worth holding out for. 

tbh I struggle with a lot of modern TV. About 99% (at least) of ITV dramas I've seen have been fucking awful. Like that recent one where the dad fell down the stairs in the new house. Or the one where Sarah Lancashire had to mope at the camera for 4 years because her daughter trespassed on derelict property which then exploded. (I just google it and apparently that was Channel 4? So their stuff too, then.)

25 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

yeah 3 episodes is my threshold - if they can’t grab my attention when they know they need to be trying then I give up on them.

4 minutes ago, msc said:

I've found quite a lot of modern TV has a weak first series. Might be just me? Even people trying to get me into stuff will often go "the first series is bad but once you get past that..."

Sometimes there's a reason for that, eg The Last Kingdom's first series was made for BBC and looks pretty cheap compared with later series when Netflix took it over and spent more.

Staying with TLK as an example, Ep1 was almost a prequel with the principal character as a child.  It introduced lots of characters who promptly fell by the wayside (Rutger Hauer! :(), then the next 2 episodes were establishing the main characters and their situations, so I would say it's Ep4 where it really hit its stride.  I think that's a fairly typical pattern.

That said, I do like to be swept into the story straight away.  Downton Abbey did that, opening with the news that the heir presumptive to the title and estate had been lost on the Titanic.