Phantom

Three Steps To Heaven

Levi Dexter, who was recently hospitalized for a kidney infection, has now been diagnosed with neuralgia.

levidexter5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

We have a thread for musicians. Why another one 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Leon Brittan said:

We have a thread for musicians. Why another one 

This is for rockabilly. They don't fall into the genre for country, rock, prog rock, or psychedelia...

Also I figured that since it's the anniversary of Eddie Cochran's passing, that I would name the thread after one of his songs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phantom said:

This is for rockabilly. They don't fall into the genre for country, rock, prog rock, or psychedelia...

Also I figured that since it's the anniversary of Eddie Cochran's passing, that I would name the thread after one of his songs.

Rockabilly falls into rock as a subgenre, surely.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Philistine

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

That's correct.

Cambridge English Dictionary:

Rockabilly definition:

An early style of rock and roll music that began in the early 1950s in the US and combines country music sounds with the strong beat of rock and roll.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MariNisia said:

That's correct.

Rockabilly definition:

An early style of rock and roll music that began in the early 1950s in the US and combines country music sounds with the strong beat of rock and roll.

Except I don't care

• Like 1

Phantom’s earned the right to his own niche thread, to which he’ll no doubt he’ll often add with grapevine whispers of eminent if obscure greasers like Lew Lewis yesterday. 
The rockabilly was kinda served in the JLL/LR thread but that got split up when JLL made the fab 50.

• Like 2

Kim Lenz has successfully completed her chemotherapy and her cancer is currently in remission.

Kim is working on plans to record a new album in the near future.

22 hours ago, MariNisia said:

That's correct.

Rockabilly definition:

There's also a discussion thread for prog rock, another for psychedelic rock.

Where's your outrage for that?

The only somewhat notable Finnish rockabilly musician, Alpo "Aikka" Hakala (1957-2021) died a week ago as I mentioned in the rock thread before this thread was made. He got a stroke in 2013 after which he was bedridden and later couldn't communicate at all. Should've picked him in some of the smaller pools as he was already dying years ago but I have a very shitty memory.

Anyways, here's an useless list of some rockabilly musicians who could make good picks on some pools now or in a few years, or are just aged, just to see who's alive in 10 years:

Ace Andres (b. 1958) No known health issues, but very quiet nowadays.

Bobby Fuller Four:

Randall "Randy" Fuller (b. 1944) Bobby Fuller's younger brother. Bobby died in 1966.

Dalton Powell (b. 1942) and DeWayne Quirico (b. 1942) Other Fuller musicians, not much of them on the internet.

Jerry Miller (b. 1943) another Bobby Fuller Four musician. Looked quite bad in 2015.

----

Jimmy Bowen (b. 1937) Wouldn't consider him in the next few years. Plans to live to 150 and from what I've heard, is still very healthy.

Billy Burnette (b. 1953) Was hospitalized last september with covid.

Sanford Clark (b. 1935) Condition unknown

Lawrence "Larry" Collins (b. 1942) The alive Collins kid

Crash Craddock (b. 1939) Haven't found any information on his condition

Sonny Curtis (b. 1937) Friend of Buddy Holly. Can still perform

Donald "Don" Everly (1937-2021) The alive Everly brother. Looks great.

Dave Edmunds (b. 1944) Retired in 2017.

Duane Eddy (b. 1938) Healthy octogenarian?

Steve Earle (b. 1955) History of drug use (Cocaine, was a heroin addict) and lost his son Justin Townes Earle (1982-2020) last year to overdose of fentanyl-laced cocaine.

Narvel Felts (b. 1938) Has also lost his son, but in 1995.

Robert Gordon (b. 1947) Still performs, doesn't look very great though

Glen Glenn (1934-2022)

Ronald Hawkins (b. 1935) Still performs

Wanda Jackson (b. 1937) Widowed in 2017, retired in 2019. Queen of Rockabilly

Roddy Jackson (b. 1942) Still perfoms according to wikipedia but looked 80 in 2014

Brenda Lee (b. 1944) Had health problems in the 1970s (blood clots, stomach and kidney problems) in great condition now

Jerry Lee Lewis (b. 1935) Legend, had a stroke in 2019.

Bob Loyce Moore (1932-2021) Father of recently semi-retired 69-year old R. Stevie Moore.

Sparkle Moore (b. 1936) Couldn't find anything except 2010 pictures.

Roy Moss (b. 1929) Alive???

Keith O'Connor Murphy (b. 1944)

Steve Nardella (b. 1948) Doesn't look great?

Johnny Powers (b. 1938) Will he outlive the wrestler with the same name born in 1943?

Terry Williams (b. 1948) and Billy Bremner (b. 1946)

Bobby Sowell (b. 1947)

Casey Royer (b. 1958) Former Social Distortion member. Overdosed in 2011 while watching television with his 12-year old son.

Shakin' Stevens (b. 1948) If I remember right, he has a thread

Billy Swan (b. 1942) Old guy with white beard. Widowed in 2003

Vernon Taylor, Jim Teachenor (b. 1937)

Hayden Thompson (b. 1938) Whatcha Gonna Do?

Marty Wilde (b. 1939)

40 minutes ago, arghton said:

The only somewhat notable Finnish rockabilly musician, Alpo "Aikka" Hakala (1957-2021) died a week ago as I mentioned in the rock thread before this thread was made. He got a stroke in 2013 after which he was bedridden and later couldn't communicate at all. Should've picked him in some of the smaller pools as he was already dying years ago but I have a very shitty memory.

Anyways, here's an useless list of some rockabilly musicians who could make good picks on some pools now or in a few years, or are just aged, just to see who's alive in 10 years:

Ace Andres (b. 1958) No known health issues, but very quiet nowadays.

Bobby Fuller Four:

Randall "Randy" Fuller (b. 1944) Bobby Fuller's younger brother. Bobby died in 1966.

Dalton Powell (b. 1942) and DeWayne Quirico (b. 1942) Other Fuller musicians, not much of them on the internet.

Jerry Miller (b. 1943) another Bobby Fuller Four musician. Looked quite bad in 2015.

----

Jimmy Bowen (b. 1937) Wouldn't consider him in the next few years. Plans to live to 150 and from what I've heard, is still very healthy.

Lawrence "Larry" Collins (b. 1942) The alive Collins kid

Donald "Don" Everly (b. 1937) The alive Everly brother. Looks great.

Duane Eddy (b. 1938) Healthy octogenarian?

Steve Earle (b. 1955) History of drug use (Cocaine, was a heroin addict) and lost his son Justin Townes Earle (1982-2020) last year to overdose of fentanyl-laced cocaine.

Robert Gordon (b. 1947) Still performs, doesn't look very great though

Glen Glenn (b. 1934)

Ronald Hawkins (b. 1935) Still performs

Roddy Jackson (b. 1942) Still perfoms according to wikipedia but looked 80 in 2014

Brenda Lee (b. 1944) Had health problems in the 1970s (blood clots, stomach and kidney problems) in great condition now

Bob Loyce Moore (b. 1932) Father of recently semi-retired 69-year old R. Stevie Moore.

Johnny Powers (b. 1938) Will he outlive the wrestler with the same name born in 1943?

Bobby Sowell (b. 1947)

Casey Royer (b. 1958) Former Social Distortion member. Overdosed in 2011 while watching television with his 12-year old son.

Marty Wilde (b. 1939)

Robert Gordon recently had heart surgery.

Another to add to that list is Tex Rubinowitz (b. 1941) who is coming out of retirement.

There's also Terry Noland (b. 1938) who retired years ago and was the only artist that was releasing full length albums for Brunswick Records during the early part of the mid 50s. 

Larry Collins (b. 1944) is still gigging, his sister Lorrie died in 2018

Also still gigging and recording is Charlie Gracie (b. 1936)

5 hours ago, Phantom said:

There's also a discussion thread for prog rock, another for psychedelic rock.

Where's your outrage for that?

I'm not outraged, dear colleague.

I like rockabilly, too.

I'm terrible sorry if I've hurt you with my commentary or it was misinterpreted... I beg your pardon.

• Like 2

On 17/04/2021 at 15:12, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Surely, to anyone else.  But let Phantom have his thread.

10 hours ago, MariNisia said:

I'm not outraged, dear colleague.

I like rockabilly, too.

I'm terrible sorry if I've hurt you with my commentary or it was misinterpreted... I beg your pardon.

you didn't upset or hurt me. I was being facetious.

Many musicians I know that play rockabilly, certainly would not regard themselves as "rock musicians".

Expanded some notes and added a few to the list submitted by Arghton

Rocky Burnette (b. 1953) son of Johnny Burnette, cousin of Billy Burnette. Still gigging and recording
Lawrence "Larry" Collins (b. 1942) The alive Collins kid - still gigging and recording.
Levi Dexter (b. 1957) Recently divorced from his wife after 20 years, was gigging and recording until recently. now recovering from a kidney infection and recently diagnosed with neuralgia
Donald "Don" Everly (b. 1937) The alive Everly brother. Looks great.
Duane Eddy (b. 1938) Healthy octogenarian? lost most of his equipment that was in storage due to a flood a few years ago.
Robert Gordon (b. 1947) Still performs, underwent open heart surgery early '21
Glen Glenn (b. 1934) retired
Charlie Gracie (b. 1936) Was one of the highest paid performing artists in the mid-50s. Had big success with "Butterfly" and "99 Ways", popularity declined. Has since experienced a revival 
Ronnie Hawkins (b. 1935) Still performs despite being diagnosed years ago with pancreatic cancer
Linda Gail Lewis (b. 1947) Sister of Jerry Lee Lewis. Still recording and gigging 
Bob Loyce Moore (b. 1932) Father of recently semi-retired 69-year old R. Stevie Moore.
Terry Noland (b. 1934) released a spate of albums in the late 60s for Brunswick Records. Career was eclipsed by a young chap called Charles Hardin' Holley. Noland retired from music and went on to become a real estate developer. Now at the age of 83, has totally retired and makes the occassional festival appearances. 
Tex Rubinowitz (b. 1941) been retired for many years. Coming out of retirement to record again, and possibly go on tour
Brian Setzer (b. 1959) Touring up until recently. had to cancel several tours recently due to worsening tinnitus 
Bobby Sowell (b. 1947)
Chris Spedding (b. 1944) multi genre guitarist. Now currently touring and recording with Robert Gordon 
J.M. Van Eaton (b. 1937) mostly retired, but still appearing at the occassional festival. 
Marty Wilde (b. 1939)

Wee Willie Harris " Britain's wild man of rock 'n' roll " is now 88 years old.  He was on Never Mind The Buzcocks in the early 2000's and was really looking his age back then

A very happy 85th birthday to Charlie Gracie.

Charlie.jpg

Vince Maldonado, guitarist for Los Infernos, and Vicky Tafoya & The Big Beat  passed away yesterday.

He was hospitalized a year ago with Covid.

Will post more details later.

Screenshot_20210624-182755.png

• Like 2

Wanda Jackson who retired from touring a couple of years ago, has announced her final album.

Sanford Clark, best known for his cover of Lee Hazelwood's "The Fool" passed away yesterday at the age of 85 from complications from COVID-19.

Screenshot_20210705-093951.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Johnny Rivers has cancelled all remaining dates for this year, citing concerns regarding COVID-19

Al Hendrix has passed away at the age of 86.

Screenshot_20210723-182911.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Joey Ambrose, saxophonist for Bill Haley & His Comets has passed away at the age of 87.

Joey played on “Rock Around The Clock,” “Shake, Rattle and Roll” and so many others.

Screenshot_20210810-090550.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 2