Phantom

Three Steps To Heaven

49 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Now Robert Gordon being reported dead: 

Sucks big time - lost an amazing guy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Now Robert Gordon being reported dead: 

Aw man, that's sad - seeing him on the Whistle Test started me on discovering some of the people he covered, notably Billy Lee Riley. Amazing performer, really sad.

• Like 1

Rumours that Roddy Jackson has died. Any info on the book of face or otherwise?

All I have is the usual clickbait sites.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Yeah, I can't read that. Anything specific?

Here's one of the posts from a friend of his

I'm absolutely devastated to hear word of the passing of Roddy Jackson, a true Rock n Roll original and a dear friend. Known as "The Central Valley Fireball", Roddy had a lifetime passion for music, starting with his first group at the age of 12, The Dreamers, followed by the famed (Merced) Blue Notes, a racially mixed R&B/Rock n Roll outfit. The group auditioned for Specialty Records in 1957, which led to Roddy being signed as a solo artist thanks to Specialty's young A&R man, Sonny Bono. I had the absolute pleasure of getting to know Roddy as a friend in more recent decades as he headlined all the top Rockabilly festivals throughout the world. My heart goes out to his lovely wife Kate Jackson, like Roddy, a sweetheart of a human being.
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Yeah, I can't read that. Anything specific?

The last post from his account (29-11-22) states that he's in hospital for surgery, with comments below that he's died.

• Thanks 1

There's a link to his website, which contains a telephone number. I'm not saying you should phone but...

7 minutes ago, time said:

There's a link to his website, which contains a telephone number. I'm not saying you should phone but...

I can't, I have a bad case of the

• Haha 2

A rarity - an artist on Art Rupe's label who outlived Rupe himself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, justonecornetto said:

Here's one of the posts from a friend of his

I'm absolutely devastated to hear word of the passing of Roddy Jackson, a true Rock n Roll original and a dear friend. Known as "The Central Valley Fireball", Roddy had a lifetime passion for music, starting with his first group at the age of 12, The Dreamers, followed by the famed (Merced) Blue Notes, a racially mixed R&B/Rock n Roll outfit. The group auditioned for Specialty Records in 1957, which led to Roddy being signed as a solo artist thanks to Specialty's young A&R man, Sonny Bono. I had the absolute pleasure of getting to know Roddy as a friend in more recent decades as he headlined all the top Rockabilly festivals throughout the world. My heart goes out to his lovely wife Kate Jackson, like Roddy, a sweetheart of a human being.

I know Robert very well. I would say he's a reliable source 

• Like 3

Charlie Gracie has sadly passed away at the age of 86

Screenshot_20221217-140502.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Johnny Powers, best known for his tune "Long Blond Hair" has died at the age of 84.

Screenshot_20230117-215904.png

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Phantom said:

Johnny Powers, best known for his tune "Long Blond Hair" has died at the age of 84.

Screenshot_20230117-215904.png

WHOA that means Johnny Powers the wrestler (30-12-22) and Johnny Powers the rockabilly musician (16-1-23) died 18 days apart!!!  That’s….Stranger Than Death!

SC

Connie "Guybo" Smith, Eddie Cochran's original bass player has died at the age of 81

Screenshot_20230205-091806.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sad to announce that good pal Elmer "E.J" Johnston, bass player for Bob Wayne and The Carnies, Jack Knife & The Sharps, The Bad Companions, Ross Kleiner & The Thrill, and Dead Bundy & The Neat Neat Neats, passed away yesterday at the age of 39. 

I first met Elmer 13 years ago when I started booking gigs for The Bad Companions and later on with other bands he was involved in.. Even though we didn't agree with each other on politics, Elmer was an all-round nice guy who didn't take any shit and would always look out for his friends. He was deeply humbled a few years ago when he was on tour with Dead Bundy and the van rolled over when they were passing through Colorado and his stand up bass was destroyed. We all chipped in so he could buy a new one. You'll be deeply missed. 

Screenshot_20230221-175345.png

• Sad 3

Several places I could have posted this but seeing as he is a member of the Rockabilly Hall of Fame, let's dump it here.

Billy "The Kid" Emerson" (wiki) being reported dead at 97 in several places on Facebook e.g. here.

Rock 'n' roll and R&B singer-songwriter, probably best known for his 1955 hit "Red Hot".

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Several places I could have posted this but seeing as he is a member of the Rockabilly Hall of Fame, let's dump it here.

Billy "The Kid" Emerson" (wiki) being reported dead at 97 in several places on Facebook e.g. here.

Rock 'n' roll and R&B singer-songwriter, probably best known for his 1955 hit "Red Hot".

First thing I saw this morning was Deke Dickerson's post about it. Uncanny thing is, I was listening to Emerson yesterday while picking the kids up from school. 

• Like 3

On 20/04/2021 at 08:41, RIP Wee Jum said:

Wee Willie Harris " Britain's wild man of rock 'n' roll " is now 88 years old.  He was on Never Mind The Buzcocks in the early 2000's and was really looking his age back then

Perennial DDP pick Wee Willie Harris being reported dead: 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Wee Willie Harris - so wild he's wearing lovely shoes with socks here:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I think that leaves just Woody Allen, Adriano Celentano and Smokey Robinson as the living people namechecked on Reasons to Be Cheerful, all in their mid 80s. 

I had always assumed that the song referred to Smokie, the band, rather than Smokey Robinson :o. Much easier to sing-along to!

Oh well, every day is a school day. 

17 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

I had always assumed that the song referred to Smokie, the band, rather than Smokey Robinson :o. Much easier to sing-along to!

Oh well, every day is a school day. 

That tickles me, the idea of Ian listening to Smokie, for some reason. Especially once the Black Lace singer had joined.

• Like 1