arghton

Other Martial Art Practitioners

Did he managed to answer whether the crane kick was illegal before dying?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Did he managed to answer whether the crane kick was illegal before dying?

I'm afraid we will never know. ;)

• Like 1

Ip Chun failed to attend his (Chinese reckoning) 100th birthday party which was held in September and apparently lives in a nursing home.

On his way out but seems to take forever.

This thread is pretty dumb if for no other reason than not one of you have ever heard of a single person you’re posting herein.  These nobodies were perfectly fine in the Foreign Whatever thread, which was all-encompassing. 

• Facepalm 2

On 29/04/2021 at 15:35, arghton said:

anos 60

Março de 1960 - Hasegawa Katsutoshi (nascido em 1944) e Arashiyama Jiro (nascido em 1943)

Maio de 1960 - Toyokuni Susumu (1937-2022)

Setembro de 1960 - Futagoryu Isao (nascido em 1941)

Novembro de 1960 - Tochiazuma Tomoyori (nascido em 1944)

Janeiro de 1961 - Dairyugawa Kazuo (nascido em 1946) e Futagodake Takeshi (nascido em 1943)

Março de 1961 - Yutakayama Katsuo (nascido em 1937)

Maio de 1961 - Fujinokawa Takeo (nascido em 1946)

Janeiro de 1962 - Oshio Kenji (nascido em 1948)

Maio de 1962 - Maruyama Takahiko (nascido em 1946)

Março de 1963 - Fujizakura Yoshimori (nascido em 1948) e Tochiisami Yoshiharu (nascido em 1947)

Julho de 1963 - Asahikuni Masuo (nascido em 1947), Asanoburi Toshimitsu (nascido em 1948) e Yokozuna Mienoumi (nascido em 1948)

Dezembro de 1963 - Genichiro Tenryu (nascido em 1950)

Março de 1964 - Takamiyama Daigoro (nascido em 1944, também primeiro lutador de sumô com mais de 200 kg) e Aobajo Yukio (nascido em 1948)

Maio de 1964 - Tamakiyama Masanori (nascido em 1951), Wakajishi Shigenori (nascido em 1948) e Teruzakura Hiroyuki (nascido em 1947)

Julho de 1964 - Kitaseumi Hiromitsu (nascido em 1948)

Março de 1965 - Yoshioyama Osamu (nascido em 1949) e Daiju Hisateru (nascido em 1950)

Setembro de 1965 - Kaiki Nobuhide (nascido em 1952)

Janeiro de 1966 - Kurosegawa Kuniyuki (nascido em 1951)

Março de 1966 - Chiyozakura Teruo (nascido em 1950)

Maio de 1966 - Daigo Kenshi (nascido em 1952)

Novembro de 1966 - Banryuyama Takaharu (nascido em 1951)

Janeiro de 1967 - Masuiyama Daishiro II (nascido em 1948)

Março de 1967 - Washuyama Yoshikazu (nascido em 1949)

Maio de 1967 - Kirinji Kazuharu (1953-2021), Tamanofuji Shigeru (1949-2021) e Kotonofuji Muneyoshi (nascido em 1951)

Novembro de 1967 - Kotogatake Koichi (nascido em 1952)

Março de 1968 - Daihi Susumu (nascido em 1952)

Maio de 1968 - Onishiki Ittetsu (nascido em 1953)

Julho de 1968 - Yokozuna Wakanohana Kanji II (1953-2022)

Novembro de 1968 - Taiko Yoshio (nascido em 1953)

Março de 1969 - Hidanohana Shigeyoshi (nascido em 1953)

Kotogatake Koichi died at 71

His highest rating was maegashira 1

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202402260000575.html

Kotogatake Koichi | Sumowrestling Wiki | Fandom

On 30/04/2021 at 00:05, arghton said:

Myobudani Kiyoshi (born 1937)

Dead. 86 years old is an impressive run, that's like 136 in sumo wrestler years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Immortal said:

Dead. 86 years old is an impressive run, that's like 136 in sumo wrestler years.

Myōbudani was never really heavy but I agree, an impressive run. Not only sumo wrestlers die due to obesity-related reasons, from what I've heard most of the time they're under enormous stress, if they perform badly they might get demoted and I recall the "low-level" sumo wrestlers will usually get no pension at all from the Sumo Association. Due to the aforementioned and the fact  they have no post-middle school education many end up unemployed after their career. Modern sumo on top of all that also has steroid use etc. Last time I checked the life expectancy of a sumo wrestler was somewhere between 55 and 65, but steroids will cut another ten from that.

The oldest one I'm a hundred percent sure is still alive is Yutakayama Katsuo, 86. The next major sumo deaths are probably going to be Kitanofuji Katsuaki (81) who has been in hospital for around a year now with heart failure and Takamiyama Daigoro (79) who was the heaviest wrestler of his generation and I remember he fairly recently said somewhere he "won't live much longer". I wouldn't be suprised if Akebono Tarō (former top-level sumo wrestler who permanently ruined his life by getting into show wrestling, kickboxing and MMA and now has enormous heart issues and likely CTE) clung on to life for years, his family clearly wants to keep him alive.

Someone edited his Wiki page to say he "died from old age".

I feel like punching ppl when they say that. It's about as much of a thing as "being born from young age".

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Someone edited his Wiki page to say he "died from old age".

I feel like punching ppl when they say that. It's about as much of a thing as "being born from young age".

Dying from old age can be put on death certificates - example being HM Queen Elizabeth. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

Dying from old age can be put on death certificates - example being HM Queen Elizabeth. 

Yes, I'm aware. Which is ridiculous. Our medical bodies shouldn't incorporate euphemisms and nonsensical statements into their language.

• Like 1

Ronda Rousey is out there promoting her new book and she's fairly frank about the fact her brutal and rapid victories were partly down to her own awareness that she'd had so many concussions in her judo career she wanted to avoid lengthy bouts in MMA. From a dead pooling point of view she's likely not the only one and that first generation of highly prominent (i.e., q/o shoo-in) female fighters, many of whom owe Rousey a debt because her fame dragged the sport to a higher profile could well be figuring regularly hereabouts within a decade. Grim stuff. Link:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/mar/31/ronda-rousey-i-never-wanted-to-talk-about-concussion-it-felt-like-a-weakness

• Like 1

On 10/03/2024 at 18:58, arghton said:

The oldest one I'm a hundred percent sure is still alive is Yutakayama Katsuo, 86. The next major sumo deaths are probably going to be Kitanofuji Katsuaki (81) who has been in hospital for around a year now with heart failure and Takamiyama Daigoro (79) who was the heaviest wrestler of his generation and I remember he fairly recently said somewhere he "won't live much longer". I wouldn't be suprised if Akebono Tarō (former top-level sumo wrestler who permanently ruined his life by getting into show wrestling, kickboxing and MMA and now has enormous heart issues and likely CTE) clung on to life for years, his family clearly wants to keep him alive.

Akebono dead as mentioned in the Wrestlers thread. One of the greatest sumo wrestlers of his generation, well-respected, but from what I understand local controversy (he dated a Japanese pop singer, that relationship wasn't widely accepted there) on his personal life lead to his 1990s financial trouble that caused him to get into MMA, show wrestling and kickboxing. It seems he wasn't much more than a freak show there. 

Kitanofuji is still presumably in hospital with severe heart problems, completely incapacitated and will likely die any day now. It'll be interesting to see if Takamiyama Daigoro will be at Akebono's funeral as he trained him.

1 minute ago, arghton said:

Akebono dead as mentioned in the Wrestlers thread. One of the greatest sumo wrestlers of his generation, well-respected, but from what I understand local controversy (he dated a Japanese pop singer, that relationship wasn't widely accepted there) on his personal life lead to his 1990s financial trouble that caused him to get into MMA, show wrestling and kickboxing. It seems he wasn't much more than a freak show there. 

Kitanofuji is still presumably in hospital with severe heart problems, completely incapacitated and will likely die any day now. It'll be interesting to see if Takamiyama Daigoro will be at Akebono's funeral as he trained him.

Wasn't Akebono's real name Chad, or something like that?

50 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Wasn't Akebono's real name Chad, or something like that?

Wikipedia says Chadwick Haheo Rowan.

• Like 1