Bibliogryphon

Scavenger Hunt Bingo Deadpool IV

OK - I'm in with a whole hour to spare! Best of luck everyone. I can be fairly sure that I won't be winning this one with unique picks as I have more or less just picked the oldest people in each category. Hopefully one in each category might do the trick again this time round.

Out of curiosity, has anyone actually calculated how many actors have appeared in a Star Trek episode? It must run into thousands! I just confined my self to whichever one Patrick Stewart is in (?Next Generation) because that alone had hundreds of names. Did anyone go through all of the series?

Thanks Biblio for hosting the game, and apologies again for the late entry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

OK - I'm in with a whole hour to spare! Best of luck everyone. I can be fairly sure that I won't be winning this one with unique picks as I have more or less just picked the oldest people in each category. Hopefully one in each category might do the trick again this time round.

Out of curiosity, has anyone actually calculated how many actors have appeared in a Star Trek episode? It must run into thousands! I just confined my self to whichever one Patrick Stewart is in (?Next Generation) because that alone had hundreds of names. Did anyone go through all of the series?

Thanks Biblio for hosting the game, and apologies again for the late entry.

For my sins, I looked at The Next Generation, Deep Space 9, Voyager and the films. Even then, I only looked at people on IMDB that had a picture of themselves, and only catalogued those born from 1962 and before (I didn't even look at them in great detail after that). I also took a handful of names from some Original Series research I did previously, mainly just those aged 90-odd and above. Anyway, after all that, I have just over 600 names listed, and that's nowhere near exhaustive, and I didn't even look at Enterprise, Discovery, Picard or the 70s Animated Series. It'll be upwards of 1,500 at least I'd imagine, and that's just the one's that are still alive! What I did find is that there's a number of actors they called again and again, either within the same show or across different iterations. Plenty of people appeared in all three 90s series (Next Gen, DS9 and Voyager) in various guest roles.

• Like 1

I am actually fairly certain that noone has picked Octagenarian Patrick Stewart!

• Haha 1

Twenty three entries in.

I have put up the master scoreboard.

This is four players up on game 3 but we have lost @Grim Up North @The Old Crem and @Dying Probably

There were five entries over the weekend so I am just going to go through these before I put the picks up.

Once the picks are up you have two weeks to check for any errors (hoping not on this one) but the game is on from now so remember to flag up those obscure baseball players, Olympians and Pulitzer prize winners when they go

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Quick, guess before the names are published: who'll be the most popular pick? I'm going with Nigel Lawson, just ahead of Nichelle Nichols.

12 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Quick, guess before the names are published: who'll be the most popular pick? I'm going with Nigel Lawson, just ahead of Nichelle Nichols.

It's very possible.

But... I think about Ágnes Keleti and Willie Mays, too.

• Like 1

Good pickings people. One of the names mentioned is indeed the most popular. Nigel Lawson is joint third in Cabinet Ministers

I still have two teams to add in though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

58 minutes ago, MariNisia said:

It's very possible.

But... I think about Ágnes Keleti and Willie Mays, too.

Well, two out of 4 ain't bad. Nigel Lawson was my sub, I may regret that one.

36 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Nigel Lawson was my sub, I may regret that one.

Mine too, @RoverAndOut.

But... we still don't know if Nigel Lawson would be a good choice.

Maybe... he doesn't die.

• Like 2

Everyone is verified.

Teams will be up shortly on the front page

Thanks everyone. I have hardly had to reject any picks although there was the one player (who will remain nameless) who send five Star Wars picks instead of Star Trek. I did check to see if any of them were eligible but astonishingly they weren't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

there was the one player (who will remain nameless) who send five Star Wars picks instead of Star Trek.

There but for the grace of God ......

• Like 1

All the lists are up

Biggest group - Olympians 70 picks

Smallest group - cabinet ministers 41 picks

Top picks in each group 

Star Trek - Nichelle Nichols* (single most popular pick)

MLB - Eddie Robinson

Pulitzer - William Kennedy & Ned Rorem

Olympians - Agnes Keleti*

Ministers - Douglas Hurd*

* These three picks were selected by over half the players 

• Like 2

On 24/05/2021 at 13:17, gcreptile said:

Pulitzer Prize: Hey, I own stuff by three of the five names I chose. And eventually also by the fourth name.

Well, I own the Pulitzer Prize winning books by Robert Caro (on LBJ), Saul Friedländer (about the Holocaust) and David McCullough (Pres. Adams). I want to read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. He's also not in the best of health, it has been said.

• Like 2

I’m really surprised that I was the only one to pick Maury Wills. He’s pushing 90 and is far better known than several younger picks in the World Series winners category.

• Like 2

I wish all of you the best of luck in this pool.

I hope it will be an enjoyable time.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

I’m really surprised that I was the only one to pick Maury Wills. He’s pushing 90 and is far better known than several younger picks in the World Series winners category.

That relies on me knowing anything about baseball to know some are better known than others. :lol: The only one I'd heard of was Willie Mays, and I picked him (based on health reasons of course!) It was fun to dip my toe in, though, even if I know only a bare minimum more now than I did before.

Just now, RoverAndOut said:

That relies on me knowing anything about baseball to know some are better known than others. :lol: The only one I'd heard of was Willie Mays, and I picked him (based on health reasons of course!) It was fun to dip my toe in, though, even if I know only a bare minimum more now than I did before.

I think the topics where I had to research gave me better answers than the ones I did from prior knowledge (Star Trek & Ministers)

• Like 1

It's a Scavenger first for me - no uniques whatsoever! :lol:

• Like 1

Well I've basically picked the oldest five people in each category that I could find without putting too much work into it - no idea whether they're sprightly, fit nonagenarians or at death's door. Hopefully the latter, obviously.

I managed to bag 2 uniques so without the third they're both useless. Annoyingly 2 of my subs (Gene Roberts for Pullitzer Prize winners and Isaac Berger for gold medalists) would have been unique.

Fall Out Of Chair GIFs | Tenor

6 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Everyone is verified.

Teams will be up shortly on the front page

Thanks everyone. I have hardly had to reject any picks although there was the one player (who will remain nameless) who send five Star Wars picks instead of Star Trek. I did check to see if any of them were eligible but astonishingly they weren't.

Having had a perusal, I can confirm that every player seems to have 5 names in every category! I do have one query on the Cabinet Ministers category, which only affects one player. Rodney Elton, chosen by MariNisia, served in two government departments but was never the Secretary of State so far as I can see? He served in the Home Office under Leon Brittan and in the Environment Department under 3 Secretaries. I only noticed because he wasn't on my long list, which I gathered by going through each Cabinet on Wikipedia. Thought it best to flag it up now, rather than someone mention it down the line if it becomes relevant. Do let me know if I'm mistaken, though. :)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Everyone is verified.

I put an angry on this post. Not because I am you understand, far from it, but because you had one of everything else (edit: ok nearly, there's no shocked yet, but there probably will be now) which I don't recall seeing before and thought it's time for a full house somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

Sigh....brevity has never been my strong point. I had the same list, but in individual Cabinets and without clear reference to who was alive and dead. Thankfully, particularly from Blair onwards, I was pretty sure who was still pegging and who not, but even so, Lord Elton does not appear on your list either!