Bibliogryphon

Scavenger Hunt Bingo Deadpool IV

41 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I put an angry on this post. Not because I am you understand, far from it, but because you had one of everything else (edit: ok nearly, there's no shocked yet, but there probably will be now) which I don't recall seeing before and thought it's time for a full house somewhere.

Correct B)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Having had a perusal, I can confirm that every player seems to have 5 names in every category! I do have one query on the Cabinet Ministers category, which only affects one player. Rodney Elton, chosen by MariNisia, served in two government departments but was never the Secretary of State so far as I can see? He served in the Home Office under Leon Brittan and in the Environment Department under 3 Secretaries. I only noticed because he wasn't on my long list, which I gathered by going through each Cabinet on Wikipedia. Thought it best to flag it up now, rather than someone mention it down the line if it becomes relevant. Do let me know if I'm mistaken, though. :)

Looking into this it does appear that the mistake is mine. When wiki linked from Minister of State for the Environment it took you to Secretary of State which is a cabinet position.

@MariNisia you can make another pick. The only limitations now the Lists have been revealed is that your selection cannot be another player's current unique selection but any currently selected by more than one player or a new unique pick is acceptable. Apologies for the confusion 

Thanks @RoverAndOutfor your diligence 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

there was the one player (who will remain nameless) who send five Star Wars picks instead of Star Trek.

I must admit that on seeing the Star Trek category, my first thought was "Well Carrie Fisher is dead for a start" :rolleyes:      

4 uniques in total - happy with that considering the lack of time that went into it. I'm a little surprised that Eric Lamaze was unique. He seems in decent condition at present, but with a history of a brain tumour and kidney issues, I felt he was worth a punt. A lot can happen in 2-3 years, assuming the pool goes on for 2-3 years. It bloody better go on that long this time. I'm fucked if I'm doing this again in 6 months time!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Having had a perusal, I can confirm that every player seems to have 5 names in every category! I do have one query on the Cabinet Ministers category, which only affects one player. Rodney Elton, chosen by MariNisia, served in two government departments but was never the Secretary of State so far as I can see? He served in the Home Office under Leon Brittan and in the Environment Department under 3 Secretaries. I only noticed because he wasn't on my long list, which I gathered by going through each Cabinet on Wikipedia. Thought it best to flag it up now, rather than someone mention it down the line if it becomes relevant. Do let me know if I'm mistaken, though. :)

Thank you... @RoverAndOut.

The political never was my strong point. :mellow:

@RoverAndOut... you've got such a great brain. :)

It was my mistake and I'm responsible.

I'm sorry for my ignorance and I apologize for the mistake.

@RoverAndOut, thank you very much again for your cooperation.

Hugs! ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MariNisia said:

Thank you... @RoverAndOut.

The political never was my strong point. :mellow:

@RoverAndOut... you've got such a great brain. :)

It was my mistake and I'm responsible.

I'm sorry for my ignorance and I apologize for the mistake.

@RoverAndOut, thank you very much again for your cooperation.

Hugs! ;)

Don't beat yourself up about this. There were a number of rejected in this group of people who held roles in the Government but did not reach Cabinet level. I should have picked them up but because the categories are so wide ranging there are players with deeper expertise and so I allow a period for legitimate eligibility challenges at the start of the game.

• Like 2

On 06/05/2021 at 20:00, arghton said:

Did I send mine? I'm not completely sure if I did and not sure where to check

You did. You were the third player to enter

Happy with my picks tbh, went heavy on the uniques this time out after last session's "pick the oldest people in each category" gambit failed. Annoyed I missed perennial DDP longlisters like Teri Garr, Joel Grey and Nehemiah Persoff in my Star Trek research though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Happy with my picks tbh, went heavy on the uniques this time out after last session's "pick the oldest people in each category" gambit failed. Annoyed I missed perennial DDP longlisters like Teri Garr, Joel Grey and Nehemiah Persoff in my Star Trek research though.

Each game has ended differently first one was three uniques, second one was one in each category and the third 5 in one category. It ripped through the James Bond picks last time. Some of the categories might struggle for obits or at least take some time to come through. Could be interesting.

• Like 1

Ok, so stats for Round 4 incoming (many based off what I did previously for R3):

• This round saw by far the most picks to date, with 279 across all 5 categories (Round 3's previous record was 225).
  • We saw another increase in players, from 15 in Rounds 1 and 2, to 19 in Round 3 to now 23 in Round 4. 9 players have played all 4 rounds, the same number who had played the previous 3 (i.e. nobody has dropped out), plus Biblio who has played 3 and ran the first one (as well as all the others!). There are 7 first-time players this time around, another record, and we have lost 3 players as mentioned by BIblio above. The past 2 Scavenger Hunt champions, myself and Banana are back for another crack (R1 Champion Rotten Ali has not played any of the subsequent games, or been seen much since!)
  • 4 categories this time broke the previous record for most picks in a category, which stood at 52 (Eurovision in R3 and Grammy Winners in R2). The new record holder is Summer Olympic Gold Medallists with 69, followed by Star Trek Actors (59), Pulitzer Prize Winners (57) and World Series Champions (53).
  • Cabinet Ministers was the smallest with 41, which also breaks the record for most in the smallest category (Space Fliers in R3 with 38).
  • Nichelle Nicholls, of Star Trek fame, was most picked this time, on 15/23 teams. Agnes Keleti (Olympians) and Douglas Hurd (Cabinet Ministers) (both 12) also eclipse the previous record of 11 (Nobby Stiles, World Cup, R3 and George H.W. Bush,, US Elections, R1). However, Nicholls pick on 15/23 (65%) can be bettered by George H.W. Bush (11/15 in R1 - 73%) and Lord Carrington (10/15 in R1 - 67%) from previous rounds.
  • msc (0), Death Impends (2) and Perhaps (2) are the only ones who cannot win by the 3 uniques method - msc actually becomes the first player in Scavenger Hunt history to have NO unique picks! The previous low was me in R1, with 1. It is the first time msc and Death Impends have been unable to win this way (although both scraped to 3 in R3!), while Perhaps is a new player.
  • On the other hand, Captain Hemlock sets a new record of 16 for most unique picks, beating FujimoriNoMorey's 15 from R2. Fellow newcomers Death by Arsenic (15) and Arghton (14) follow, along with Yorkshire Banker (also on 14).
  • This was the first round of the Scavenger Hunt where Jimmy Carter was not a valid pick - just when he might actually go! He was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize but didn't win, and he's never appeared in Star Trek.
  • Returning picks from previous games include Paul Dooley (Star Trek Actors/Kevin Bacon Co-Stars), William Smithers (Star Trek Actors/Dallas Actors), Stephen Sondheim (Pulitzer Prize Winners/Grammy Winners), Nino Benvenuti (Olympic Gold Medallists/Title-Winning Boxers) and Douglas Hurd (House of Lords/Cabinet Ministers).
  • Death Impends picked Hurd as a unique in R1 (House of Lords) and he stuck by him this time around, along with a few other people!
  • Nino Benvenuti is picked by Spade as a unique in R4, but was not among his picks for Title-Winning Boxers in R2 (Biblio and me picked him!)
  • Stephen Sondheim was a unique pick for gcreptile in R2 (Grammy Winners) and was picked again by him in R4, along with others.
  • Captain Chorizo, msc and Death Impends all picked Paul Dooley among their Kevin Bacon Co-Stars in R2, but, despite all returning, none of them picked him this time around! He was picked by 3 completely different people this time.

I do think it's wide open this time, and I'm curious as to whether the higher number of players contributes to a quicker game, or whether the James Bond Massacre was a one-off occurrence! I'm also very much a fan of the fact that the first 3 games were all won by a different method - it proves that any way can win, and you're always in the game with this one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

This was the first round of the Scavenger Hunt where Jimmy Carter was not a valid pick - just when he might actually go! He was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize but didn't win, and he's never appeared in Star Trek.

Great work... @RoverAndOut.

I have to admit it, I'm impressed. :o

Well... Carter would've been a great Klingon.

Sometimes I don't understand a single word of what he's saying... :D

• Like 2

Ok, so stats for Round 4 incoming (many based off what I did previously for R3):

• This round saw by far the most picks to date, with 279 across all 5 categories (Round 3's previous record was 225).
  • We saw another increase in players, from 15 in Rounds 1 and 2, to 19 in Round 3 to now 23 in Round 4. 9 players have played all 4 rounds, the same number who had played the previous 3 (i.e. nobody has dropped out), plus Biblio who has played 3 and ran the first one (as well as all the others!). There are 7 first-time players this time around, another record, and we have lost 3 players as mentioned by BIblio above. The past 2 Scavenger Hunt champions, myself and Banana are back for another crack (R1 Champion Rotten Ali has not played any of the subsequent games, or been seen much since!)
  • 4 categories this time broke the previous record for most picks in a category, which stood at 52 (Eurovision in R3 and Grammy Winners in R2). The new record holder is Summer Olympic Gold Medallists with 69, followed by Star Trek Actors (59), Pulitzer Prize Winners (57) and World Series Champions (53).
  • Cabinet Ministers was the smallest with 41, which also breaks the record for most in the smallest category (Space Fliers in R3 with 38).
  • Nichelle Nicholls, of Star Trek fame, was most picked this time, on 15/23 teams. Agnes Keleti (Olympians) and Douglas Hurd (Cabinet Ministers) (both 12) also eclipse the previous record of 11 (Nobby Stiles, World Cup, R3 and George H.W. Bush,, US Elections, R1). However, Nicholls pick on 15/23 (65%) can be bettered by George H.W. Bush (11/15 in R1 - 73%) and Lord Carrington (10/15 in R1 - 67%) from previous rounds.
  • msc (0), Death Impends (2) and Perhaps (2) are the only ones who cannot win by the 3 uniques method - msc actually becomes the first player in Scavenger Hunt history to have NO unique picks! The previous low was me in R1, with 1. It is the first time msc and Death Impends have been unable to win this way (although both scraped to 3 in R3!), while Perhaps is a new player.
  • On the other hand, Captain Hemlock sets a new record of 16 for most unique picks, beating FujimoriNoMorey's 15 from R2. Fellow newcomers Death by Arsenic (15) and Arghton (14) follow, along with Yorkshire Banker (also on 14).
  • This was the first round of the Scavenger Hunt where Jimmy Carter was not a valid pick - just when he might actually go! He was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize but didn't win, and he's never appeared in Star Trek.
  • Returning picks from previous games include Paul Dooley (Star Trek Actors/Kevin Bacon Co-Stars), William Smithers (Star Trek Actors/Dallas Actors), Stephen Sondheim (Pulitzer Prize Winners/Grammy Winners), Nino Benvenuti (Olympic Gold Medallists/Title-Winning Boxers) and Douglas Hurd (House of Lords/Cabinet Ministers).
  • Death Impends picked Hurd as a unique in R1 (House of Lords) and he stuck by him this time around, along with a few other people!
  • Nino Benvenuti is picked by Spade as a unique in R4, but was not among his picks for Title-Winning Boxers in R2 (Biblio and me picked him!)
  • Stephen Sondheim was a unique pick for gcreptile in R2 (Grammy Winners) and was picked again by him in R4, along with others.
  • Captain Chorizo, msc and Death Impends all picked Paul Dooley among their Kevin Bacon Co-Stars in R2, but, despite all returning, none of them picked him this time around! He was picked by 3 completely different people this time.

I do think it's wide open this time, and I'm curious as to whether the higher number of players contributes to a quicker game, or whether the James Bond Massacre was a one-off occurrence! I'm also very much a fan of the fact that the first 3 games were all won by a different method - it proves that any way can win, and you're always in the game with this one.

Thank you Rover a very comprehensive analysis. It was interesting watching all the picks come in and whittle away the uniques then somebody comes along with another team of uniques. 

I think the big picks if they go will lean towards a one in each category finish but last time all the top Bond picks went. Will this last till Christmas?

Bob Richards is another throwback pick. I picked him in the first round as he was a presidential candidate under some fringe white nationalist party, several decades after his Olympic career.

• Like 2

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Väinö Markkanen was probably the best of my unique picks. Near-fatal stroke in 2016, guns confiscated and wife put into a care home in 2018 and the latest I've seen of him is a 2020 december video from a care home where he sits and can barely talk. Picture of him in 2018 below.

IMG_20210603_134723.thumb.png.3672908d802159f4f76fa12e0b089d00.png

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dying Probably said:

Ah, damned be my inactivity.

You can always join game V

Which could be in nine months or two years

• Haha 3

Am I right in saying Anatoly Chukanov, part of the USSR's 100 km team time trial-winning team at the 1976 Olympics, gets the honour of being the first miss in this contest?

• Like 3

On 13/06/2021 at 14:35, Spade_Cooley said:

Am I right in saying Anatoly Chukanov, part of the USSR's 100 km team time trial-winning team at the 1976 Olympics, gets the honour of being the first miss in this contest?

And actress Lisa Banes is the second...

She appeared as a guest star in "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine".

• Like 3

Lisa Banes actually ties with Markis Kido, Badminton gold medal winner in 2008. But dead Olympians, they are inflationary..

Edit: It's also the current top name on Spade's twitter link.

I have to admit, I used a facebook group for oldest olympians to choose my people. They have nice photos.

I missed at least one pancreatic cancer person though.

• Thanks 2

Lisa Banes was in Star Trek but to be fair, so were 10 million other actresses in their 60s who didn't get hit by a car a week after deadline so that one is rather understandable! The Trek category will probably see the most misses in Scavenger history.

54 minutes ago, msc said:

Lisa Banes was in Star Trek but to be fair, so were 10 million other actresses in their 60s who didn't get hit by a car a week after deadline so that one is rather understandable! The Trek category will probably see the most misses in Scavenger history.

Yes... About Star Trek... You've got actors to fill a train with a capacity of more than 1000 tons. :o

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I missed at least one pancreatic cancer person though.

To whom?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MariNisia said:

To whom?

Sorry, I already said too much :)

• Haha 1