Bibliogryphon

Scavenger Hunt Bingo Deadpool IV

Odd for any of my "just pick the oldest guy" attempts to actually work in this game.

• Like 2

I didn't even look at the journalists, because I thought that was what "No Staff Winners" meant.

So, although it's academic now, what does that mean?

• Like 1

I assumed, and wasn't corrected, that it was restricted to named recipients.

So...

was OK as its specifically a Pulitzer for Trimble.

But...

• 1983: Boston Globe, "for its balanced and informative special report on the nuclear arms race."

Some guy who worked for the Boston Globe in 1983 and had cancer wasn't allowed. No named recipients here, just the paper itself

But I could be wrong?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I didn't even look at the journalists, because I thought that was what "No Staff Winners" meant.

So, although it's academic now, what does that mean?

1 hour ago, msc said:

I assumed, and wasn't corrected, that it was restricted to named recipients.

So...

was OK as its specifically a Pulitzer for Trimble.

But...

• 1983: Boston Globe, "for its balanced and informative special report on the nuclear arms race."

Some guy who worked for the Boston Globe in 1983 and had cancer wasn't allowed. No named recipients here, just the paper itself

But I could be wrong?

I've liked both your comments because they represent both sides of my thinking when I was doing my research. I looked at all the living recipients for the Arts awards (Drama, Poetry, History, Music, etc.) as I was comfortable they definitely counted. I did have a brief look at a few of the journalistic awards but decided there were just too many to get my head around, and I was also unsure about exactly what a 'staff winner' was, but presumed, as msc did, that it meant organisations without named winners. It was a little vague, but if we were that bothered, we could have asked Biblio but didn't!

Anyway, congrats on the first hit guys!

The term no staff winners came from Banana and I took it as above no group winners but I looked at each entry on merit there were some photographers who might have potentially fallen foul of the rule and some quite obscure names recipients who players have taken at their own risk.

• Like 2

I can confirm Biblio looked at every entry carefully. He turned down one of my Olympians on the spurious reason that they had never won an Olympic medal and I'd misread their bio! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Basically just meant that you’d have to be named as the winner. Multiple people can win in the same year and be eligible as long as they’re named. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, msc said:

I can confirm Biblio looked at every entry carefully. He turned down one of my Olympians on the spurious reason that they had never won an Olympic medal and I'd misread their bio! :D

That's poor form msc, the wrong colour medal I could understand but NO medal! Tsk. :lol:

38 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

That's poor form msc, the wrong colour medal I could understand but NO medal! Tsk. :lol:

They had medals.

Winter medals. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

They had medals.

Winter medals. 

Well, dependent how doddery they are, keep them on a list for Round 5 or 6, bound to come up sooner or later! :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Well, dependent how doddery they are, keep them on a list for Round 5 or 6, bound to come up sooner or later! :lol:

The slow start suggests to me it will be later........much later

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

The slow start suggests to me it will be later........much later

As a wise man has said before: it only takes 3 hits... ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

It's a hit for those who picked Joanne Linville, a Romulan Commander in Star Trekhttps://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/joanne-linville-dies-star-trek-213845139.html

Joanne Linville is a hit in the Star Trek category for four players

@GuyFromFuture

@BuffaloPhil

@Captain Hemlock

All get their first hit but @Perhaps get a second hit in a second category.

• Like 4

This is only the second time in the 4 Scavenger Hunt rounds so far that the first 2 hits have come in different categories (in R2, Grammy Winner Charles Neville was followed by Dallas actor Joseph Campanella). On that occasion, both Spade Cooley and Death Impends managed to start with a perfect 2 from 2...but neither ended up winning. Perhaps 'Perhaps' will be more successful..?

• Thanks 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Janet Moreau, 4x100 metre relay gold medalist from the 1952 Helsinki Summer Olympics was picked by anyone here.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, arghton said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Janet Moreau, 4x100 metre relay gold medalist from the 1952 Helsinki Summer Olympics was picked by anyone here.

Nope. Miss. :facepalm:

• Like 1

Only the second time we've had hits in 3 separate categories for the first 3 hits of the game, after Round 2 (Grammys, Dallas, EU Leaders), but @Perhaps becomes the first player in Scavenger Hunt history to score with all the first 3 hits in a game! Deathray and me in Round 1 and Death Impends in Round 2 both managed 3 of the first 4 though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Anyone have Gillian Sheen (Donaldson) for the Olympics? https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/07/gillian-sheen-obituary

Yes, @YoungWillz. It's a triumph of our admired and beloved host.

The first unique pick of the game.

Congratulations, @Bibliogryphon:D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MariNisia said:

Yes, @YoungWillz. It's a triumph of our admired and beloved host.

The first unique pick of the game.

Congratulations, @Bibliogryphon:D

Thank you both. I had forgotten she was on my team. So I now just need two more Uniques but more importantly uniques count in ties if the same last hit is needed by two players

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1