Bibliogryphon

Scavenger Hunt Bingo Deadpool IV

No sooner than I have issued the promised update for @chilean way's cabinet ministers when Paul Sorvino delivers a second unique hit for @time which means their five remaining uniques all become game enders

1.       John Aniston (ro)

2.       Tony Blair (ar)

3.       Vasily Borisov (to)

4.       Peter Brooke (ph)

5.       Gordon Brown (cw)

6.       Irene Camber (to)

7.       Kenneth Clarke (ro)

8.       Donald L. Coburn (ar)

9.       James Darren (ar)

10.   Charlie Falconer (cw)

11.   Norman Fowler (ro)

12.   Tom Gayford (ro)

13.   Gordy Giovenelli (to)

14.   Judy Grinham (ti)

15.   John Gummer (ti)

16.   Roy Hattersley (ro)

17.   Douglas Hurd (ro)

18.   Tony Kubek (ar)

19.   Nigel Lawson (mc)

20.   James Mackay (bp)

21.   John Major (ar)

22.   Ken McMullen (ar)

23.   Joanna Miles (ti)

24.   John Morris (bp)

25.   Koji Murofushi (to)

26.   Marsh Norman (ar)

27.   John Nott (ph)

28.   Franco de Piccoli (ti)

29.   John Prescott (cw)

30.   Bob Richards (to)

31.   Bob Robertson (ar)

32.   Andrew Robinson (ar)

33.   Bill Rodgers (bp)

34.   Gillian Shepard (cw)

35.   Carel Struycken (ar)

36.   Norman Tebbit (ro)

37.   Laurel Thatcher Ulrich (ti)

38.   George Young (ar)

39.   Anthony Zerbe (ro)

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Really need something in English or Wiki to show her as dead to award points

She’s on the deaths of 2022 page even if her wiki page hasn’t been updated yet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The total number of outs is now 43. Higher than the number of Cabinet Ministers selected to play in the game

1.       John Aniston (ro)

2.       Lou Antonio (cc)

3.       Tony Blair (ar)

4.       Vasily Borisov (to)

5.       Peter Brooke (ph)

6.       Gordon Brown (cw)

7.       Irene Camber (to)

8.       Kenneth Clarke (ro)

9.       Donald L. Coburn (ar)

10.   James Darren (ar)

11.   Charlie Falconer (cw)

12.   Norman Fowler (ro)

13.   Tom Gayford (ro)

14.   Gordy Giovenelli (to)

15.   Judy Grinham (ti)

16.   John Gummer (ti)

17.   Roy Hattersley (ro)

18.   Douglas Hurd (ro)

19.   Margaret Jay (cc)

20.   Tony Kubek (ar)

21.   Vern Law (cc)

22.   Nigel Lawson (mc)

23.   James Mackay (bp)

24.   John Major (ar)

25.   Ken McMullen (ar)

26.   John McPhee (CC)

27.   Joanna Miles (ti)

28.   John Morris (bp)

29.   Koji Murofushi (to)

30.   Marsh Norman (ar)

31.   John Nott (ph)

32.   Franco de Piccoli (ti)

33.   John Prescott (cw)

34.   Bob Richards (to)

35.   Bob Robertson (ar)

36.   Andrew Robinson (ar)

37.   Bill Rodgers (bp)

38.   Gillian Shepard (cw)

39.   Carel Struycken (ar)

40.   Norman Tebbit (ro)

41.   Laurel Thatcher Ulrich (ti)

42.   George Young (ar)

43.   Anthony Zerbe (ro)

• Like 2

On 28/07/2022 at 15:43, Bibliogryphon said:

Really need something in English or Wiki to show her as dead to award points

Oldest Olympians on FB has it.

image.png.059df908d2007da800cbd8d2ac2d542c.png

• Thanks 1

Nichelle Nicholls might not finish this game, but she's a third hit for me here. 

• Sad 1

If I gather correctly I jump into the mix of potential winners with Michael Jopling

• Like 1

Nichelle Nicholls is one of the really big hits here with fifteen players getting points on the board but only two players have new ways of winning

Michael Jopling is the only name added to the list for @Banana but @Spade_Cooley steals Nigel Lawson from poor old @msc who despite having the most individual hit (9) has no ways of going out left because of uniques.

John Prescott is a tie between Spade and @chilean way but at the moment I am not going to get too bothered about this because I do not think Prezza will be the first on this list to go

1.       John Aniston (ro)

2.       Lou Antonio (cc)

3.       Tony Blair (ar)

4.       Vasily Borisov (to)

5.       Peter Brooke (ph)

6.       Gordon Brown (cw)

7.       Irene Camber (to)

8.       Kenneth Clarke (ro)

9.       Donald L. Coburn (ar)

10.   James Darren (ar)

11.   Charlie Falconer (cw)

12.   Norman Fowler (ro)

13.   Tom Gayford (ro)

14.   Gordy Giovenelli (to)

15.   Judy Grinham (ti)

16.   John Gummer (ti)

17.   Roy Hattersley (ro)

18.   Douglas Hurd (ro)

19.   Margaret Jay (cc)

20.   Micheal Jopling (ba)

20.   Tony Kubek (ar)

21.   Vern Law (cc)

22.   Nigel Lawson (sp)

23.   James Mackay (bp)

24.   John Major (ar)

25.   Ken McMullen (ar)

26.   John McPhee (cc)

27.   Joanna Miles (ti)

28.   John Morris (bp)

29.   Koji Murofushi (to)

30.   Marsh Norman (ar)

31.   John Nott (ph)

32.   Franco de Piccoli (ti)

33.   John Prescott (cw/sp)

34.   Bob Richards (to)

35.   Bob Robertson (ar)

36.   Andrew Robinson (ar)

37.   Bill Rodgers (bp)

38.   Gillian Shepard (cw)

39.   Carel Struycken (ar)

40.   Norman Tebbit (ro)

41.   Laurel Thatcher Ulrich (ti)

42.   George Young (ar)

43.   Anthony Zerbe (ro)

• Like 2

For the SHBDP V we perhaps need to think about the priority of total hits vs uniques

Thoughts welcome

50 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

For the SHBDP V we perhaps need to think about the priority of total hits vs uniques

Thoughts welcome

If I've understood correctly, if two people share an 'out' then it goes to the person with most unique picks in the total game yes?

But if you've got 7 unique picks to 2, then you've already got an in-built advantage anyway, because 3 uniques win anyway? So being able to win with 3 unique hits and also getting precedence for unique picks in shared outs seems a bit unfair (although I imagine the thinking was that it rewarded imaginative choices rather than dead certs). I think most hits would be the fairer first tie-breaker, then unique picks. But just my opinion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

If I've understood correctly, if two people share an 'out' then it goes to the person with most unique picks in the total game yes?

But if you've got 7 unique picks to 2, then you've already got an in-built advantage anyway, because 3 uniques win anyway? So being able to win with 3 unique hits and also getting precedence for unique picks in shared outs seems a bit unfair (although I imagine the thinking was that it rewarded imaginative choices rather than dead certs). I think most hits would be the fairer first tie-breaker, then unique picks. But just my opinion.

The rules were constructed before I had run a game and I was trying to think of promoting innovation but the players are actually a pretty innovative lot so there are a lot more unique picks than I expected. It has not really been too obvious before but here we have msc with the most hits but no way of going out.

However I will be making the change for Game V because I do not like retconning rules

• Like 2

The rules were constructed before I had run a game and I was trying to think of promoting innovation but the players are actually a pretty innovative lot so there are a lot more unique picks than I expected. It has not really been too obvious before but here we have msc with the most hits but no way of going out.

However I will be making the change for Game V because I do not like retconning rules

Can't change it mid-competition, that's not fair on those entered. But it does seem odd that the most successful competitor has no current way of winning at this stage in the competition.

I should say, though, I can only find 8 deaths for msc, not 9. You've got him down for 2 baseball deaths, but according to the master list and my own checks I think only Eddie Robinson has died of his picks. I don't blame errors creeping in though, this is becoming incredibly unwieldy with the number of possible outs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can fully accept that if Nigey L drops dead tomorrow it would be an absolute travesty for me to beat msc with our respective records. Still taking the win though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I can fully accept that if Nigey L drops dead tomorrow it would be an absolute travesty for me to beat msc with our respective records. Still taking the win though.

However the general sense of Bon Homie that would flow from such an event should negate any feeling of injustice on the part of msc.

Why in the past week have we lost David Warner, Bernard Cribbins and Nichelle Nicholls when Norman Tebbitt, Nigel Lawson and Jim Davidson still walk the Earth

As I have indicated there will probably be a rule change for round V 

• Like 2

@Bibliogryphon, I've just done a check of all the living picks to make sure we haven't missed anybody and have got a bit of housekeeping to update you on:

Galina Shamrai (Soviet Gymnast) died February 15th 2022 according to Wikipedia, citing this source: https://sport-strana.ru/ilina-rudko-shamraj-galina-jakovlevna/

Margit Korondi (Hungarian Gymnast) died March 6th 2022 according to this site: https://hungarytoday.hu/margit-korondi-two-time-olympic-champion-gymnast-dies/

Neither changes the overall picture: Korondi is @DeathByArsenic's second hit in total, while Shamrai would give @YorkshireBanker his first hit, and ensure nobody leaves the game empty handed.

Two other queries: Mario Ghella (Italian Cyclist) died in 2020 according to Wikipedia, but no death date given and the cited source isn't online, where I can't find it referenced anywhere else. If it is the case, that means he died before the game started, which would be a blow to @BuffaloPhil.

Finally, @Banana has picked William O'Connor in the Star Trek actors category, but I can't find the one he means. I've put "William O'Connor," "William O'Connor actor" and "William O'Connor Star Trek" into Google without finding a person that fits the bill. Am I missing something? I must have looked him up before but maybe not?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Can't change it mid-competition, that's not fair on those entered. But it does seem odd that the most successful competitor has no current way of winning at this stage in the competition.

I should say, though, I can only find 8 deaths for msc, not 9. You've got him down for 2 baseball deaths, but according to the master list and my own checks I think only Eddie Robinson has died of his picks. I don't blame errors creeping in though, this is becoming incredibly unwieldy with the number of possible outs.

You are right

I have adjusted the masterlist accordingly. I do remember one time whe I was adding on my phone I put all the hits in the wrong column and had to go through taking them off. Maybe thet was what it stems from

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

@Bibliogryphon, I've just done a check of all the living picks to make sure we haven't missed anybody and have got a bit of housekeeping to update you on:

Galina Shamrai (Soviet Gymnast) died February 15th 2022 according to Wikipedia, citing this source: https://sport-strana.ru/ilina-rudko-shamraj-galina-jakovlevna/

Margit Korondi (Hungarian Gymnast) died March 6th 2022 according to this site: https://hungarytoday.hu/margit-korondi-two-time-olympic-champion-gymnast-dies/

Neither changes the overall picture: Korondi is @DeathByArsenic's second hit in total, while Shamrai would give @YorkshireBanker his first hit, and ensure nobody leaves the game empty handed.

Two other queries: Mario Ghella (Italian Cyclist) died in 2020 according to Wikipedia, but no death date given and the cited source isn't online, where I can't find it referenced anywhere else. If it is the case, that means he died before the game started, which would be a blow to @BuffaloPhil.

Finally, @Banana has picked William O'Connor in the Star Trek actors category, but I can't find the one he means. I've put "William O'Connor," "William O'Connor actor" and "William O'Connor Star Trek" into Google without finding a person that fits the bill. Am I missing something? I must have looked him up before but maybe not?

I will investigate and report back

I think the beauty of this game is that - like bingo - someone can have hits all over the place and still not win, whereas someone can be twiddling their thumbs most of the game, and get two or three quick hits and win. (I was on one hit for about 10 months, until Paul Sorvino died and now suddenly I am in with several chances).

Change the dead-heat tie-break but please don't change the basic criteria for winning.

• Like 6

Just now, time said:

I think the beauty of this game is that - like bingo - someone can have hits all over the place and still not win, whereas someone can be twiddling their thumbs most of the game, and get two or three quick hits and win. (I was on one hit for about 10 months, until Paul Sorvino died and now suddenly I am in with several chances).

Change the dead-heat tie-break but please don't change the basic criteria for winning.

No that is one thing that has been proven with this game. The first three games were all won by different routes

It will just be a tweak to the precedence of tie-breaks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Well the banana one is easy to solve it is William O' Connell not Connor and that is a typo by me because Banana's original entry was clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well the banana one is easy to solve it is William O' Connell not Connor and that is a typo by me because Banana's original entry was clear.

And he's still living!  :D

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I am inclined  to accept the two that died this year although I am thinking that an obit in English might be required for future rounds. I am very vague in the rules. However Mario Ghella's reference was only made on Wiki in June 2022 and I cannot find anything that backs it up.

It is akin to the Irwin Unger case that came to light if we can find confirmation of his death and this is a potentially winning pick so I need something a bit more substantial.

Thanks Rover!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am inclined  to accept the two that died this year although I am thinking that an obit in English might be required for future rounds. I am very vague in the rules. However Mario Ghella's reference was only made on Wiki in June 2022 and I cannot find anything that backs it up.

It is akin to the Irwin Unger case that came to light if we can find confirmation of his death and this is a potentially winning pick so I need something a bit more substantial.

Thanks Rover!

Hadn't actually registered Mario Ghella as a potential winning pick. But it seems likely he's either a) still alive or b) died pre-game, so either way I don't think it makes a difference to the current gameplay. Agree it is very tenuous at the moment.