Bibliogryphon

Scavenger Hunt Bingo Deadpool IV

Following @RoverAndOut research and internvention @YorkshireBanker breaks their duck with a first unique hit and @DeathByArsenic gets a second unique hit which brings all their other unique picks into plays as potential winners

The list is now 57. This could even get Ben Shepherd excited

1.          John Aniston (ro)

2.          Lou Antonio (cc)

3.          Oded Balilty (da)

4.          Jacqui Banaszynski (da)

5.          Tony Blair (ar)

6.          Vasily Borisov (to)

7.          Peter Brooke (ph)

8.          Gordon Brown (cw)

9.          Irene Camber (to)

10.       Kenneth Clarke (ro)

11.       Donald L. Coburn (ar)

12.       James Darren (ar)

13.       Charlie Falconer (cw)

14.       Norman Fowler (ro)

15.       Tom Gayford (ro)

16.       Gordy Giovenelli (to)

17.       Halina Gorecka (da)

18.       Judy Grinham (ti)

19.       John Gummer (ti)

20.       Harriet Harmen (da)

21.       Roy Hattersley (ro)

22.       Douglas Hurd (ro)

23.       Margaret Jay (cc)

24.       Micheal Jopling (ba)

25.       Nancy Kovack (da)

26.       Tony Kubek (ar)

27.       Vern Law (cc)

28.       Nigel Lawson (sp)

29.       James Mackay (bp)

30.       Jean Claude Magnan (da)

31.       John Major (ar)

32.       Ken McMullen (ar)

33.       John McPhee (cc)

34.       Joanna Miles (ti)

35.       John Morris (bp)

36.       Koji Murofushi (to)

37.       Marsh Norman (ar)

38.       John Nott (ph)

39.       Franco de Piccoli (ti)

40.       Horacio Pina (da)

41.       John Prescott (cw/sp)

42.       Jeff Reardon (da)

43.       Daniel Revenu (da)

44.       Bob Richards (to)

45.       Bob Robertson (ar)

46.       Andrew Robinson (ar)

47.       Marilynne Robinson (da)                   

48.       Bill Rodgers (bp)

49.       Janet Royall (da)

50.       Gillian Shepard (cw)

51.       Chris Smith (da)

52.       Jack Straw (da)

53.       Carel Struycken (ar)

54.       Norman Tebbit (ro)

55.       Laurel Thatcher Ulrich (ti)

56.       George Young (ar)

57.       Anthony Zerbe (ro)

• Like 2

It's a long time since the potential winners only comprised my five Olympic athletes :lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

For the SHBDP V we perhaps need to think about the priority of total hits vs uniques

Thoughts welcome

I would also be in favour of total hits taking priority over uniques in case of a tie-break.

I would also favour, in the event that players are even on total hits and uniques, that the game continues and "next goal wins". The game goes on for ages anyhow - what's a few more months.

Also, I would favour a strict rule that if a pick is discovered to have died before the start of the game, they are ineligible and a sub comes into play, regardless of how late in the game that happens. I am not sure it is terribly fair that a pick that died a year before the game started should be the winning pick, as may well prove to be the case here.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

I would also be in favour of total hits taking priority over uniques in case of a tie-break.

I would also favour, in the event that players are even on total hits and uniques, that the game continues and "next goal wins". The game goes on for ages anyhow - what's a few more months.

Also, I would favour a strict rule that if a pick is discovered to have died before the start of the game, they are ineligible and a sub comes into play, regardless of how late in the game that happens. I am not sure it is terribly fair that a pick that died a year before the game started should be the winning pick, as may well prove to be the case here.

If he died before the game started then he would be ineligible. He wouldn't win the game, he'd just have one less 'out' to win with.

Re. Ghella, I appreciate that I'm the only one who'd be affected so my opinion is likely to be given short shrift!

But I think having allowed Unger as a hit, it would be inconsistent to disallow Ghella (if, of course, he is found to actually be dead.)

It wouldn't give me the win, but it would be my second unique and thus give me I think three more outs.

However I will of course accept the decision of the gamerunner. And, to be honest, if he died in 2020 and all we've got thus far is an unsubstantiated wikipedia edit, the chances are we aren't going to get anything more concrete anyway, which would render this moot.

• Like 2

10 people within 1 hit of victory. 11 if you include the unlucky msc. This is the Scavenger Hunt on steroids!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

10 people within 1 hit of victory. 11 if you include the unlucky msc. This is the Scavenger Hunt on steroids!

I looked up my two Pulitzer names outstanding. Both appear to be alive and well.

1 hour ago, BuffaloPhil said:

Re. Ghella, I appreciate that I'm the only one who'd be affected so my opinion is likely to be given short shrift!

But I think having allowed Unger as a hit, it would be inconsistent to disallow Ghella (if, of course, he is found to actually be dead.)

It wouldn't give me the win, but it would be my second unique and thus give me I think three more outs.

However I will of course accept the decision of the gamerunner. And, to be honest, if he died in 2020 and all we've got thus far is an unsubstantiated wikipedia edit, the chances are we aren't going to get anything more concrete anyway, which would render this moot.

Yes I was confused for some reason I misread the list of outs an Ghella is not an out for you.

Unger died just days before the game started but like Ghella every check suggested they were both alive.

At the moment I am treating this as a failure to obit and I will tighten up the rules next time. 

I have not made a final decision on what to do in this case.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BuffaloPhil said:

I absolutely agree that once the precedent has been set with Unger (which I benefitted from), it should continue for this game if a QO comes for Ghella, even if the death occurred 2 years ago.

I was more talking about tightening up the rules for the next round of this pool, so that this scenario can't happen again. Simpler and fairer to have a rule that any pre-start death is null and void, and a sub comes in at any stage. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

I absolutely agree that once the precedent has been set with Unger (which I benefitted from), it should continue for this game if a QO comes for Ghella, even if the death occurred 2 years ago.

I was more talking about tightening up the rules for the next round of this pool, so that this scenario can't happen again. Simpler and fairer to have a rule that any pre-start death is null and void, and a sub comes in at any stage. 

A sub must be allowed, otherwise the competitor can't win with all 5 hits in a category.

But there would have to be restrictions so that it doesn't interfere with play, eg cancelling out a unique pick.

Re Mario Ghella, perhaps @Canadian Paul might be able to confirm or deny?

56 minutes ago, Toast said:

A sub must be allowed, otherwise the competitor can't win with all 5 hits in a category.

But there would have to be restrictions so that it doesn't interfere with play, eg cancelling out a unique pick.

Re Mario Ghella, perhaps @Canadian Paul might be able to confirm or deny?

In past rounds, I think there's just been a 'tough' element if it's discovered at this point in the gameplay. (Remember not everyone can always win by all 3 methods anyway - I only had 2 Unique picks in my first round).

But I do think, if we're looking at evaluating the Scavenger Hunt for its 5th edition, that perhaps a sub for each of the 5 categories should be submitted on entry, which then fixes any immediate disqualifications that may arise (the current rule is you can replace a name but not with a unique pick: under the new rules, if your sub was a unique, though, that would be fine!) and subs could then come into play on the rare occasion it emerges that someone was already dead by the time the game started. There is the issue you raise, however, that a unique pick may become un-unique through a sub pick. Perhaps the solution is that if the sub dies and it was previously a winning unique for another competitor, then it still ends the game? And if it happens to be one player's third 'unique' and another players 'hit in all 5 categories' then the usual tie-break rules apply.

It's impressive we've got through nearly 4 rounds before all these little issues have come to the fore! All part of the maturation of a dead pool I suppose...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Yes I was confused for some reason I misread the list of outs an Ghella is not an out for you.

Unger died just days before the game started but like Ghella every check suggested they were both alive.

At the moment I am treating this as a failure to obit and I will tighten up the rules next time. 

I have not made a final decision on what to do in this case.

To be honest I wouldn't worry about it until and unless we get confirmation of Ghella's demise.

• Thanks 1

Tbh nobody should be getting points for anyone who’s already dead before the start. Whether that’s 24 hours or 24 months.

I say that as a no hoper of winning anyway, not to better my chances, but as a matter of common sense. Otherwise it’s not a dead pool, it’s an already dead dead pool.

• Like 1

In Game V there will be stricter rules regarding English Obits (No obit = No hit)

A sub required in each category (later played subs will not diminish uniques that exist at the beginning of the game) only to be played in the event of someone being dead before the game started and discovered at a later date.

A lot will depend on which categories are chosen. Most of the issues have been with the Olympians (and Pulitzer) categories so anyone who is looking to find an obscure category in hopes of cleaning up need to be very sure of themselves

However as it is we have a very exciting game which could end any minute (or drag on for months)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

David McCullough is a hit for Banana and me. Game moves on, nothing to see here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

David McCullough is a hit for Banana and me. Game moves on, nothing to see here.

Fifth hit for @gcreptile in three categories

Third Pulitzer Prize winner for @Banana bringing up eight hits in total

• Like 1

Marsha Hunt is a hit here in the Star Trek category but not a game ending one nor a unique one

Will update shortly

• Like 2

Marsha Hunt                           di, mc, ph, ro, af

The only person who moves into a winning position from this is @Perhaps who is now on four Star Trek actors and needs Julie Newmar to complete their set.

• Like 2

Current list of outs updated for the inclusion of Julie Newmar

1.          John Aniston (ro)

2.          Lou Antonio (cc)

3.          Oded Balilty (da)

4.          Jacqui Banaszynski (da)

5.          Tony Blair (ar)

6.          Vasily Borisov (to)

7.          Peter Brooke (ph)

8.          Gordon Brown (cw)

9.          Irene Camber (to)

10.       Kenneth Clarke (ro)

11.       Donald L. Coburn (ar)

12.       James Darren (ar)

13.       Charlie Falconer (cw)

14.       Norman Fowler (ro)

15.       Tom Gayford (ro)

16.       Gordy Giovenelli (to)

17.       Halina Gorecka (da)

18.       Judy Grinham (ti)

19.       John Gummer (ti)

20.       Harriet Harmen (da)

21.       Roy Hattersley (ro)

22.       Douglas Hurd (ro)

23.       Margaret Jay (cc)

24.       Micheal Jopling (ba)

25.       Nancy Kovack (da)

26.       Tony Kubek (ar)

27.       Vern Law (cc)

28.       Nigel Lawson (sp)

29.       James Mackay (bp)

30.       Jean Claude Magnan (da)

31.       John Major (ar)

32.       Ken McMullen (ar)

33.       John McPhee (cc)

34.       Joanna Miles (ti)

35.       John Morris (bp)

36.       Koji Murofushi (to)

37.       Julie Newmar (ph)

38.       Marsh Norman (ar)

39.       John Nott (ph)

40.       Franco de Piccoli (ti)

41.       Horacio Pina (da)

42.       John Prescott (cw/sp)

43.       Jeff Reardon (da)

44.       Daniel Revenu (da)

45.       Bob Richards (to)

46.       Bob Robertson (ar)

47.       Andrew Robinson (ar)

48.       Marilynne Robinson (da)                   

49.       Bill Rodgers (bp)

50.       Janet Royall (da)

51.       Gillian Shepard (cw)

52.       Chris Smith (da)

53.       Jack Straw (da)

54.       Carel Struycken (ar)

55.       Norman Tebbit (ro)

56.       Laurel Thatcher Ulrich (ti)

57.       George Young (ar)

58.       Anthony Zerbe (ro)

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

^  That's not meant as a "shocked" reaction, but more of a "wow".

• Like 2

Mustafa Dagistanli                                      cc, ph

Second hit in the Olympic category for both @CaptainChorizo and @Perhaps

No new ways to win though

• Like 2

Surely I must be the only Player left without an immediate winner. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Captain Hemlock said:

Maury Wills is a second unique hit for me. Selected in World Series winners.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34630686/los-angeles-dodgers-great-maury-wills-nl-mvp-1962-dies-age-89

Congratulations that will increase the out pool by about 14 or 15 names.

@gcreptile less than half the players are in a winning position but only just.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1