msc

Ideas and possibilities 2022

21 minutes ago, arghton said:

Russell Nelson (b. 1924) Leader of the Mormon Church (Latter-day Saints): 97 later this year, still looking great but getting older and not appearing in public as much.

He'd be a wasted DL pick for next year I think.

As for the "reduction" of public appearances, I don't think it's anything to do with him personally. The LDS Church have taken the pandemic very seriously and they were one of the first religious institutions to tell their followers to worship from home.

This is from 3 months ago and he looks and sounds great. Worth noting that he's older than Jimmy Carter.

I was wondering if there was a "We are the World" thread. Couldn't find it. It has a great line up.

So far gone:

- Michael Jackson

- Kenny Rodgers

- James Ingram

- Al Jarreau

- Ray Charles

- Waylon Jennings

- June Pointer

- Louis Johnson

Former French Minister, MP and MEP, known to buy broke companies and save them, most notably Adidas, also man in charge of cycling team La Vie Claire with Hinault and LeMond, and of football team Olympique de Marseille, only French side winner of Champions League ever, Bernard Tapie looks like he might not live to 2022, but if he manages he probably should be considered for 2022. He has made a case earlier this month for the choice to die, so it seems he's near the end. While French, I'm pretty sure he'll have an obituary on BBC.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/politique/bernard-tapie/choisir-sa-mort-pour-bernard-tapie-exister-c-est-inutile-vivre-c-est-utile-a50b7436-e09f-11eb-9183-446ef03157c0

• Like 2

On 30/05/2021 at 23:48, Perhaps said:

Rick Wiles, the shitstain who founded the bile-spouting conspiracy outlet TruNews, is apparently seriously ill in hospital.

Rick sadly recovered and now blames his illness on "some vaccinated people" who came to his church to spread the virus and thinks the Delta variant is the vaccine itself. Like Patrick Magee said in Asylum, "In some cases lobotomy is the only solution".

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

IMG_20210802_102628.png.662598f9758e9a9740ee63494383aa87.png

Martti Ahtisaari and Jiang Zemin.

Ahtisaari has had health issues since the 1990s due to being obese (reported to be much over 130kg at one point in 1995), nearly unable to walk until he lost weight in the 2000s. Healthy-ish for a while until he got covid in March 2020. Pale and skeletal in paparazzi pictures from June 2020. Hasn't been seen in public since from what I know, nothing on his 84th and I don't think he'll bounce back.

Zemin has been in failing health for years and I see no reason why he shouldn't be included on next year's list.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Ken Livingstone on GB News tonight 

newFile.jpg

Red Ken soon to be Dead Ken?

Peter Cellier (93) who was a smooth civil servant in Yes Minister must be worth considering as must Sir Humphrey's boss John Nettleton (91). Also Geoffrey Chater (100), William Russell (96), Robert Fyffe (95), Stanley Baxter (95), Doreen Mantle (94), Leonard Fenton (94) & Joss Ackland (93).

• Like 4

On 14/06/2021 at 13:41, gcreptile said:

Jerry Remy, US sportscaster, already diagnosed with (early) lung cancer four times, now experiences "shortness of breath":

https://barrettsportsmedia.com/2021/06/14/jerry-remy-hospitalized-due-to-shortness-of-breath/

He's been on our lists before, and has also suffered from depression and pneumonia.

In cancer treatment again:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/08/04/sports/jerry-remy-undergo-treatment-lung-cancer-will-step-away-nesn-broadcast/

Never mentioned on this forum, what about Gordon Moore, former boss of Intel, and inventor of Moore's Law:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Moore

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

92 years old now. For decades the question has been, who or what will die first, Moore or Moore's law?

• Like 2

Potential for a thread and discussion Arthur Scargill, 83 year old communist recluse former resident of the Barbican Centre. 

Been quiet for a while, I was reminded of him after Boris's climate change comments yesterday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Scargill

Famous for taking part in some of Britains darkest hours (literally). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

Potential for a thread and discussion Arthur Scargill, 83 year old communist recluse former resident of the Barbican Centre. 

Been quiet for a while, I was reminded of him after Boris's climate change comments yesterday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Scargill

Famous for taking part in some of Britains darkest hours (literally). 

As someone who worked for British Coal in its dying days. Scargill was both right and wrong but in someway being such a divisive figure made Margaret Thatcher's job easier. You only have to look at the way the UDM and Roy Lynk (on my DDP team) were betrayed to see what she really thought.

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

As someone who worked for British Coal in its dying days. Scargill was both right and wrong but in someway being such a divisive figure made Margaret Thatcher's job easier. You only have to look at the way the UDM and Roy Lynk (on my DDP team) were betrayed to see what she really thought.

Arthur Scargill being a fuckwit made Thatcher's job easier, and Thatcher being a fuckwit made Thatcher's job easier. :D

• Like 1

Cold War possibilities:

Two Premiers/Prime Ministers of the Soviet Union still living, both older than Gorbachev:

Nikolai Ryzhkov (1929-) Premier 1985-1991. Still active, however he's a 91-year old overweight guy with heart problems, had a major heart attack in 1991.

Ivan Silayev (1930-) Last Premier 1991. Seen in public less than Ryzhkov.

Jiang Zemin of China and Jimmy Carter of the US who is already on the list are the last cold war leaders of their countries.

Also, Mengistu Haile Mariam, leader of Ethiopia and the Derg 1977-1991 and despot responsible for the deaths of 500,000 to 2,000,000 million people (some of which he killed himself) is still alive and living in Zimbabwe since 1991, protected by the leadership of the country. (originally Mugabe and his racist minions, especially Didymus Mutasa, ) He has also outlived four of his immediate successors as the President of Ethiopia.

Sorry Mengistu, but nobody sane will be sad when you die.

Miyazaki still seems to be healthy, but he's apparently a chain smoker (or atleast was) and smoked around a colleague who later got lung cancer.

And also died of lung cancer. Isao Takahata.

• Like 1

Emmerdale Pearl actress turns 85 next month and you don't see her about no more. :mellow:

• Like 1

I think the next 12 months could be brutal for some of the last remaining legends of the 1950s music scene as these guys are now mid 80s. Jerry Lee Lewis, Don Everly, Dion DiMucci, Paul Anka, Johnny Tillotson and Connie Francis are six biggish names who I would say are all worth looking at especially in these Covid times. 

These guys have all done very well to get as far as they have given the average age reached by most of their contemporaries. 

• Like 1

There’s no thread (yet) about « Divas » so I thought I’d put it here : I have been thinking about all those so called Divas, born in the late 30’s till’ mid 40’s and Who are beginning to be old and thus worth of interest. Among them we have Cher (b. 1946), Diana Ross (b. 1944), Dolly Parton (b. 1946), Patti Labelle (b. 1944), Gloria Gaynor (b. 1943), Shirley Bassey (b. 1937), Tina Turner (b. 1939), Barbra Streisand (b. 1942), Bette Midler (b. 1945), Stevie Nicks (b. 1948)...

Aretha Franklin, Donna Summer, Etta James or Dusty Springfield could have been in that list... if they hadn’t already met the reaper.

tell me if you have some more names in mind, I’d be interested in knowing What you think is or is not a « Diva » ;)

23 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

There’s no thread (yet) about « Divas » so I thought I’d put it here : I have been thinking about all those so called Divas, born in the late 30’s till’ mid 40’s and Who are beginning to be old and thus worth of interest. Among them we have Cher (b. 1946), Diana Ross (b. 1944), Dolly Parton (b. 1946), Patti Labelle (b. 1944), Gloria Gaynor (b. 1943), Shirley Bassey (b. 1937), Tina Turner (b. 1939), Barbra Streisand (b. 1942), Bette Midler (b. 1945), Stevie Nicks (b. 1948)...

Aretha Franklin, Donna Summer, Etta James or Dusty Springfield could have been in that list... if they hadn’t already met the reaper.

tell me if you have some more names in mind, I’d be interested in knowing What you think is or is not a « Diva » ;)

I'd probably add Liza Minelli, Candi Staton, Roberta Flack, Gladys Knight, Dionne Warwick to name a few. And possibly Elton John??

I watched a programme on the BBC about Divas last night and it defined a diva as being a woman who has been through adversity in her life but come back stronger, with a bit of an attitude. Oh, and someone adored by gay men.

Mariah, Whitney, Cher, Grace Jones and Beyonce were the divas the focussed on, but there are so many more.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GEMINEYE said:

I'd probably add Liza Minelli, Candi Staton, Roberta Flack, Gladys Knight, Dionne Warwick to name a few. And possibly Elton John??

I watched a programme on the BBC about Divas last night and it defined a diva as being a woman who has been through adversity in her life but come back stronger, with a bit of an attitude. Oh, and someone adored by gay men.

Mariah, Whitney, Cher, Grace Jones and Beyonce were the divas the focussed on, but there are so many more.

I thought of Dionne Warwick and Gladys Knight too but forgot them... and Elton John Too, I wondered if he could be considered as a diva but Why Not ?! 

thanks for the answer

• Like 1