msc

Ideas and possibilities 2022

45 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I thought of Dionne Warwick and Gladys Knight too but forgot them... and Elton John Too, I wondered if he could be considered as a diva but Why Not ?! 

thanks for the answer

Madonna and Celine Dion (hardly a picture of good health) I would say as well. 

Just now, Deathrace said:

Madonna and Celine Dion (hardly a picture of good health) I would say as well. 

Absolutely agree with you, as Mariah Carey and Beyonce (Maybe even Adèle ?) but they’re not from 30’s-40’s ahah 

On 09/05/2021 at 17:43, MrSpud42 said:

Alex Cord - Actor who played Archangel in Airwolf amongst other roles. He's in his late 80's, though no known health problems. Just as an outside shot.

Didn't make it - Alex Cord is dead: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/alex-cord-dead-airwolf-1235038356/

Awaiting a QO for that DDP thingyummy...

• Like 3

Internet pioneers- some of these are strong future possibilities, however the most notable ones (Vint Cerf, Bob Kahn and Tim Berners-Lee) still seem very active and healthy.

Steve Russell (full name Stephen Russell, called "Slug") who made the first widely distributed videogame Spacewar! in 1962 is also still with us and 83/84 years old. Can't find anything about him from after January 2019.

Maybe its time for Mike Ditka to make a return 31 years after his last appearance.  He is 81 year old and had a heart attack in 1988 and 2018 and a minor stroke in 2012

• Like 2

just a few low-effort suggestions for consideration:

Rick Davies (singer, Supertramp): diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 2015 (5 years survival rate is 57%). in 2018 indicated he was 'doing much better', but is also an intensely private individual and will likely pull an 'Alan Rickman' or 'Neil Peart' and not announce any health declines

Ray Anthony (big band leader "The Hokey Pokey"): turns 100 in January

Berry Gordy (founder of Motown Records): not in any ill health as far as I can find, but is turning 92 next year. is mostly one of those "oh wow, he's still alive!?" recommendations

Alice Munro (author and nobel-laureate): skipped the Nobel ceremony citing ill health (and that was years ago), previous cancer battle, underwent bypass surgery, another intensely private person that we may not hear from until their death

Marianne Faithful (singer/songwriter, actress): History of drug abuse, Hep-C, previous bout of cancer, got hit hard by Covid and pneumonia and is still recovering a year later

On 01/01/2021 at 13:46, YoungWillz said:

Murray Melvin was one of my subs for my main team this year.

Also a sub for my Silver Screen entry.

Murray Melvin turned 89 yesterday, and looks good for his age. (Not a fan of the look of that pesto he's eating though!)

(Alfie, Barry Lyndon, shitloads, passing "who is that?" youngsters...)

E8bnYMxXEAAwdRK?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 3

Eddie Richardson, younger brother of Charlie Richardson who was the founding member of The Richardson Gang AKA The Torture Gang. Who were rivals to The Krays. He is 86 years old and spent most of his life doing criminal activity

• Like 1

• Ken Loach - He is 85 and just been expelled from the Labour Party.

Someone who will get the full host of QOs yet has never been mentioned on this forum. Apparently he's just written his autobiography.

Alvin Rakoff, director of Requiem for a Heavyweight (the TV film which launched Sean Connery), A Voyage Round my Father and A Dance to the Music of Time, as well as countless TV adaptations of Shakespeare and plays, and RSC/West End theatre plays in general.

He is also Jacqueline Hill from Doctor Who's widower.

He gave an interview to the BBC 2 days ago (!) where he sounds bloody good for his age, but one  to watch surely given he is 94 now.

• Like 2

Well Afghanistan is fucked as President Ashraf Ghani has fled the country. I sense he will be gone by end of 2022 depending what happens with the Taliban.

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Well Afghanistan is fucked as President Ashraf Ghani has fled the country. I sense he will be gone by end of 2022 depending what happens with the Taliban.

Can't we ask Mohammad Hasan Sharq to go back to his contry to set things? Just saying.

17 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Meanwhile 2001-2014 President Karzai will apparently stay in Kabul:

1 minute ago, arghton said:

Meanwhile Karzai will apparently stay in Kabul:

Dead Man Walking.

• Like 1

Khaleda Zia, 76-year old corrupt ex-Prime Minister of Bangladesh (1991-1996 and 2001-2006) and Bangladeshi Nationalist Party chairperson.

In a wheelchair likely due to bad arthritis, reportedly suffering from heart, liver and kidney problems after surviving covid in april as well as post-covid diseases and infections. Also has diabetes according to Bangladesh newspapers.

Even if some or even most of these are faked, she isn't well. She spent 54 days in hospital after getting covid and part of it in CCU, has her own medical team (and has had before getting covid) to treat her at home as they fear she'll get an infection from the hospital. Looks ghastly.

khaleda-zia-3-1-1624123658643.thumb.jpg.656ab9b58129de865fe8cbbe7cefb268.jpg

image.png.66a1bb9d63aac0bf39ff97ea493d2a51.png

Derek Clayton the man who once held the time for fastest run marathon turns 80 next year.

• Like 1

On 04/06/2021 at 20:32, msc said:

Just for the record, Colin Baker isn't known to be terminally ill. He did campaign for the then terminally ill Brian Rix in 2016, however. And yes, his weight is still an issue as it has been for most of his career so I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone in the next 5 years. Hopefully not, though. He's a complete grump but he's *our* grump.

I was told years about Tom being very frail when not in performance mode due to the boozing in his past, but the person who told me that (a name actor) has since died themselves!

So, yeah, apparently Colin Baker's health has been up and down since his hospital stay in 2018 (not helped by a cockup discharging him only to be rushed back into hospital hours later), to the point of being frail when not performing, and Big Finish audio fans have been noting how he's slurring his lines on his most recent audio plays. (Which is quite sad as Colin Baker's enunciation was always one of the things he prided himself on.)

It's not terminally ill, and given he clearly still has  good enough periods of health to be still working, I don't think he's going *quite yet*. However, fair's fair, there was some smoke to that poster's suggestion and I was wrong to rubbish it out right.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, msc said:

It's not terminally ill, and given he clearly still has  good enough periods of health to be still working, I don't think he's going *quite yet*. However, fair's fair, there was some smoke to that poster's suggestion and I was wrong to rubbish it out right.

Fair enough, but that poster's statement that CB was terminally ill was clearly based on a careless misreading of the Brian Rix news report.  So don't beat yourself up about it.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2021 at 01:46, gcreptile said:

Never mentioned on this forum, what about Gordon Moore, former boss of Intel, and inventor of Moore's Law:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Moore

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

92 years old now. For decades the question has been, who or what will die first, Moore or Moore's law?

All the 4 creators of Intel's first microprocessor Intel 4004, launched on 15th of November 1971 are alive:

Federico Faggin (1940-) Leader of the project, developed the silicon-gate technology and designed the chip.

Marcian Hoff (1937-) Took part in the project, also invented LMS with professor Bernard Widrow (1929-)

Stanley Mazor (1941-) One of the designers of the architecture of the processor.

Masatoshi Shima (1943-) Took part in the project, more on his wikipedia page.

I'm quite any of these will get lots of media attention if they die, especially Faggin.

Moore was the co-founder/executive VP at the time of the creation of Intel 4004, becoming CEO in 1975.

• Like 1

some French new names

When they die, Rovere, Sempé, Cresson, Jospin, both David-Weill spouses, Klarsfeld, Le Roy Ladurie, Joxe, De Fontenay and Paturel will all get front page report as they are really famous and respected in France, don't know if they're as well known outside of here, I think several of them are. I hope at least. 

Don't know how many of them will see 2022 as they are really old ans some of them are frail, other haven't been seen in years so… 

• Thanks 1

Just read on his wiki page that Ray - Mungo Jerry - Dorset had open heart surgery this year. Given that previously mega-serious conditions can now be treated with minimal invasion, he was likely in serious trouble for a while there. 75 years old.(though not in this picture)

1280px-Ray_Dorset_5185.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Just read on his wiki page that Ray - Mungo Jerry - Dorset had open heart surgery this year. Given that previously mega-serious conditions can now be treated with minimal invasion, he was likely in serious trouble for a while there. 75 years old.(though not in this picture)

1280px-Ray_Dorset_5185.jpg

I always thought that he was very underrated.

10 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I always thought that he was very underrated.

Aye well...

We'll see how those obits read, eh?

Bill Wyman at 86. Though he may not, as his 2020 photo shows him looking pretty well. So unless something happens to him :mellow: