msc

Ideas and possibilities 2022

4 hours ago, Death Impends said:

If the DL was US run, Lear probably would've been on it 5-6 years by now since he is A list here but from what I understand his sitcoms were largely Americanizations of UK ones and thus never really had any reason to make a splash overseas.

He'd still BBC obit easily imo on account of his place in US culture but a DL spot would surprise me

It would through the committee clearly has fans of USA TV of that on it as several names that are notably less famous in the UK than the US have made it.

I'm under the impression ( @Toast would know better) that the US TV names the Cmme pick like, say, the entire Mary Tyler Moore cast seemingly, would be far better known to the Cmme's generation over here due to 70s/80s UK TV showings. Like how, say, the Frasier and Friends casts are to my generation.

He is Death List worthy.The committee have precedence for American celebrities of a certain era of American TV shows ( Carl Reiner ,Aaron Spelling Sid Ceaser, Abe Vigoda, Mary Tyler Moore Valerie Harper etc) .He is a massive name in US and most people in Britain of a certain age or older would be very familiar with his work I would say.He strikes me as a sort of American equivalent of a Johnny Speight, Jeremy Lloyd, David Croft or Roy Clarke sort of figure.

Speaking of which Clarke is 92 in January and very deathlisty also.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, msc said:

I'm under the impression ( @Toast would know better) that the US TV names the Cmme pick like, say, the entire Mary Tyler Moore cast seemingly, would be far better known to the Cmme's generation over here due to 70s/80s UK TV showings. Like how, say, the Frasier and Friends casts are to my generation.

I’m not sure the Mary Tyler Moore show did that well in the UK. According to Wiki the BBC dropped it after 34 episodes and then it didn’t air for three years till some of the regional ITV companies picked it up. My parents don’t remember it when they loved a lot of the 1970’s USA programmes on BBC and ITV

1 hour ago, Sean said:

He is Death List worthy.The committee have precedence for American celebrities of a certain era of American TV shows ( Carl Reiner ,Aaron Spelling Sid Ceaser, Abe Vigoda, Mary Tyler Moore Valerie Harper etc) .He is a massive name in US and most people in Britain of a certain age or older would be very familiar with his work I would say.He strikes me as a sort of American equivalent of a Johnny Speight, Jeremy Lloyd, David Croft or Roy Clarke sort of figure.

Speaking of which Clarke is 92 in January and very deathlisty also.

Were any of his shows shown in the UK? I’m not sure they were.

25 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I’m not sure the Mary Tyler Moore show did that well in the UK. According to Wiki the BBC dropped it after 34 episodes and then it didn’t air for three years till some of the regional ITV companies picked it up. My parents don’t remember it when they loved a lot of the 1970’s USA programmes on BBC and ITV

Anecdotal counterpoint to your anecdote - my mum remembers the show, though she remembers Rhoda more! :D

• Like 2

I remember Mary Tyler Moore being on the Dick Van Dyke show when I was very young.  Also Lucille Ball's show, which wasn't called "I Love Lucy". 

It would be about the same era as Bewitched.

1 hour ago, msc said:

Anecdotal counterpoint to your anecdote - my mum remembers the show, though she remembers Rhoda more! :D

Apparently Rhoda was the bigger success long term in the UK and every episode was shown so maybe that’s not a surprise. 

3 hours ago, msc said:

I imagine at some point that some of the bigger names from the big US soaps Dallas and Dynasty - both of which are synonymous with the era,  will be considered  deathlist  worthy especially given the committees penchant for that era.

So say Patrick Duffy  , Linda Gray,  Heather Locklear. 

No sign they would need to be urgently considered by the committee for 2022 but perhaps just perhaps in the future. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I imagine at some point that some of the bigger names from the big US soaps Dallas and Dynasty - both of which are synonymous with the era,  will be considered  deathlist  worthy especially given the committees penchant for that era.

So say Patrick Duffy  , Linda Gray,  Heather Locklear. 

No sign they would need to be urgently considered by the committee for 2022 but perhaps just perhaps in the future. 

More like names for 2035 if we're all still around!

(Joan Collins is closer to consideration imo.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, msc said:

Locklear feels like the type to go suddenly. 

Linda Gray will be 95 in 2035 if she makes it so will be past the age where many people debut for just being old rather than notably Ill. Ditto Linda Evans will be 93 in 2035 if she makes it there.  

Of course Dallas alumni have been on the list before.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Joan Collins on next year’s list - she feels very deathlisty. 

Looking back over previous lists I never knew till now Audrey Hepburn had been a hit.

• Like 1

I expect to see Joan Plowright included on the 2022 DL. Very Death List worthy, 92 years old and her blindness forced her to retire from acting seven years ago.

• Like 1

There are not that many near nailed on debuts/returnees this year. Pele obviously. Frank Field and Antony Sher are Ill and famous enough but there is a reasonable chance the committee will miss them. George Alagiah and Bill Turnbull should be called up but will they?

I hope Marianne Faithful is considered. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, msc said:

Oh I am definitely expecting  Joan Collins to end up on the list eventually. 

Linda Gray is a tricky one . She is 81 and suffered the death of her son to cancer  in the past 18 months.  There is also some history of cancer among her siblings as she lost a sister to breast cancer in 1989.  She also was a bit of a  heavy  boozer  back in the early Dallas days  if memory  serves me right although not as bad as Larry Hagman.  So while there are no immediate signs of her being in poor health and worthy of consideration by the committee  at the same time I have my doubts she will live to be 95 in 2035 although I'd love to be wrong. 

Yayoi Kusama will turn 93 in 2022. A huge name who is widely recognised in today contemporary art. Don’t think she’s DL worthy but maybe for a pool…

If the Committee were looking for a new name out of the blue, could do worse than architect Norman Foster. 87 next year and as we all know, it's a dangerous age to be.

Except if you are 88, 89, etc etc etc. 

Anyway, better than all the same names, time after time*.

*Cyndi Lauper

• Like 2

Carol Burnett another name most famous from USA TV who might be called up in the coming years. 88 now. Seems in decent health at the moment through. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Were any of his shows shown in the UK? I’m not sure they were.

Can't find any evidence all in the family was.Maude was shown in certain UK regions in the UK from 1975 and was shown on Sky one in the early 90s .

Another striking thing about Lear is his connection to other comic legends of subsequent generations.He is Katey Sagal's Godfather.Officiated the first wedding of Try Parker and worked recently with Seth MacFarlane.

Any idea what's wrong with Eamon Holmes? He's now walking with a stick and appears to be in a wheelchair here. 

FFI0b5LXoAUhC_T.jpeg.jpg

Didn't we cover this already? He has some kind of mobility issue. I can't remember. Use the search.

I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with him given I was told the other day that he's due to replace Simon McCoy on the GBNews breakfast show. Plus he's on so many TV ads (not as many as bloody Schofield though).

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

Any idea what's wrong with Eamon Holmes? He's now walking with a stick and appears to be in a wheelchair here. 

FFI0b5LXoAUhC_T.jpeg.jpg

Not exactly a secret...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve heard Julie Goodyear has been selling stuff for charity a fair bit this year. Maybe a sign she is on the way out. I can’t see her lasting many more years.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/veteran-hong-kong-director-suffers-dementia-161400040.html

Chor Yuen(age 87) has had Dementia since at least 2014 .The Hong Kong   Actor/Director is most known for playing the main villian in the 1985 Jackie Chan classic "Police Story". Is credited as a director or actor in 120 films,but nothing besides since 1990. * Edit had a few minor tv roles up until 2004

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I’ve heard Julie Goodyear has been selling stuff for charity a fair bit this year. Maybe a sign she is on the way out. I can’t see her lasting many more years.

Wouldn’t surprise me to be fair, surprised she has lasted as long as she has to be honest remember a few years ago she was on a soap quiz show between Coronation Street and Emmerdale and they brought Julie out she looked like they had dug her up and didn’t seem to know what was going on, remember thinking then ‘She hasn’t got long left” but she keeps on going. I think she smokes about 100 cigarettes a day, surely her lungs must be fucked and can’t go on for much longer.