Sign in to follow this  
TomTomTelekom

Donald Sutherland

I rarely create new topics, but shortly after his 86th birthday it`s really time to dedicate him his own thread on this page.

Donald Sutherland is considered one of Hollywood's most esteemed actors, who appeared in more than 150 films throughout his career, showing no sign of slowing down with old age. The canadian actor rose to fame after starring in films like The Dirty Dozen, MASH, Klute, The Eagle has landed or Dont look Now and is familiar to a younger generation for the Hunger Games franchise. Unbelievable that he never won an Oscar for his work (only for his life's work). It's going to be a sad day when he will leave the stage of life, but unfortunately in last time he's been looking more and more frail and tired.

gettyimages-873101844.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

According to google his Dad lived until for 88-89 years and his Mum to 63-64

Being 86 he could die tomorrow or he could fake it another 15 years. I wouldn't add him to my list since he's still an active actor and he looks and seems fine, but that doesn't mean someone won't get lucky. 

• Like 3

For some reason Donald Sutherland has been on my radar for a while. Did he have a health scare a while back?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

For some reason Donald Sutherland has been on my radar for a while. Did he have a health scare a while back?

He's had polio, rheumatic fever, hepatitis, an appendectomy, pneumonia and scarlet fever all before 1989, also apparently had a near-death experience while filming Kelly's Heroes (1970)

In 2017 he was reported "frail" as he was a heavy smoker when he was young and was seen carrying an oxygen tank and a tube.

2019 he was seen using a wheelchair and reported to be "frail" again. His ex-wife died in 2019.

Also Kiefer Sutherland, his son has had alcohol problems, probably drug problems and legal issues since atleast 1987, smoker and refuses to give up alcohol.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

The Eagle has landed

Top marks for naming one of my favourite films.

I also like the slightly batshit 80s Ordeal by Innocence, Agatha Christie adapted by way of Donald Sutherland running around a mist covered island to the sounds of Dave Brubeck. Far more faithful than that rot the BBC put out a few years ago too.

• Like 3

He also appeared in the Kate Bush video for Cloudbusting, a gig he took as he was having a miserable time filming a Civil War drama with Al Pacino

• Like 2

9 hours ago, arghton said:

He's had polio, rheumatic fever, hepatitis, an appendectomy, pneumonia and scarlet fever all before 1989, also apparently had a near-death experience while filming Kelly's Heroes (1970)

In 2017 he was reported "frail" as he was a heavy smoker when he was young and was seen carrying an oxygen tank and a tube.

2019 he was seen using a wheelchair and reported to be "frail" again. His ex-wife died in 2019.

Not to mention being bodysnatched as long ago as 1978.

A New Invasion Of The Body Snatchers Remake Is Happening - CINEMABLEND

Love Klute and Don't Look Now*. Really good understated actor, not too hammy like the overrated Tony Hopkins or Bill Hurt. 

* Sadly didn't actually shag Julie Christie on camera as the urban myth suggests.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

He's been on mine, for awhile, too.

• Like 2