Exu

I'll see you in court

Hopefully I'm not offending anyone or breaking a long established convention, but I saw this and thought to myself that there is no limit to extent to which people will use the law to seek retribution (normally hefty financial settlements) for alleged infringements of their own human rights / privacy etc

Nirvana sued by the baby from Nevermind's album cover - BBC News

Presumably this guy feels slighted by his parents / Nirvana and society in general, but if he does win his case then it opens up a can of worms. Personally I think it is pretty cool , but this chap is evidently short of cash.

I don't blame him.  While it might be cool to be on a famous album cover, I'd still be utterly mortified if pictures of me as a naked child were on such permanent prominent public display.  Nothing to do with feeling slighted.  I could do with the money too.

Good thread, in my opinion. I think it's a case of "lawyers needing to lawyer". I had to post it because it reminded me a bit of that Bob Dylan case of a week ago. Looks also dubious, and more like a soft case of extortion.

Now, maybe I should sue Jeff Bezos for a million or two for some extremely dubious case, but he'll accept to settle because he earns a million in a second and the court case costs him more than the settlement, simply because it takes a few minutes of his time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This bit is crucial for him:

2E67434C-A63D-4F29-9D03-A2A0E8D25922.thumb.jpeg.a8a8048497788801014d89ef5b9adf0b.jpeg

Leaving the child sexual exploitation factor to one side for a moment, the fact that his parents didn’t sign a release form for the image used on an album that has sold over 30m copies means he’s surely due a fuckload of back payments.

What I don’t understand is why so many parties would be liable to pay out; he’s suing 17 different parties, including Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic and Courtney Love (as executor of Kurt Cobain’s estate). Surely this should just come down to the record label and the parents?

10 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Good thread, in my opinion. I think it's a case of "lawyers needing to lawyer". I had to post it because it reminded me a bit of that Bob Dylan case of a week ago. Looks also dubious, and more like a soft case of extortion.

Now, maybe I should sue Jeff Bezos for a million or two for some extremely dubious case, but he'll accept to settle because he earns a million in a second and the court case costs him more than the settlement, simply because it takes a few minutes of his time.

You may  be onto something here; hes reortedly suing 17 defendants (or their estate in Cobain's case) for $150,000 each #, which should he be successful will net him in excess of $2.5m; however each band member (not sure of the other defendants) is worth multi-million dollars themself so my guess is he'll settle out of court for a healthy 6-figure/low 7-figure sum.

• Like 1

Here's the brief interview Elden did with Abigail Radnor of the Guardian back in 2015, for the feature "That's me in the picture".

47 minutes ago, time said:

Here's the brief interview Elden did with Abigail Radnor of the Guardian back in 2015, for the feature "That's me in the picture".

Hmmm.  He may regret saying some of that.

Nevertheless it's fair to say that as we grow older our attitudes to some things may change through experience.

He is a prick, a greedy prick.

How many people actually knew it was him on the album cover?

Now everybody knows.

Sex worker? seriously?

He needs sectioning.

It seems that he wasn't too disturbed about this in the past and so this is a big surprise to me. Perhaps it is the then and now comparison he is concerned about. No worries, he is a bigger dick now, unfortunately probably not as rich. Perhaps the woke brigade will get behind him, the album cover will disappear and so will his"Fame".

19 minutes ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

he is a bigger dick now

One might imagine.

• Like 1